Post-Game Talk: 11/7/17 | Canucks 5 @ Flames 3

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Sucks that it is Virtanen getting less minutes. He shouldn't be. Thought Gaunce played a solid first game though.

I just don't see it in Virtanen. Looks like he'll be an inconsistent player throughout his career. Just don't see the talent many people here think they see.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a hilarious result. Should have been blown out but got every bounce while our goalie was great and theirs wasn't. Really an awful performance, probably the worst of the season. Bled scoring chances all night.

- all 6 defenders had games ranging from off-nights to outright terrible nights. Special mention to Gudbranson who was absolutely putrid. Hutton was sloppy but good to see him finally get a couple points.

- best line for most of the night was the Gagner-Vanek line. Gagner was probably the hardest-working player tonight and looked good.

- Vanek is basically the hockey version of what you see in soccer when an old, great player (like late-career Dennis Bergkamp) is jogging around the field slower than molasses looking like a complete waste of space until he pulls out a moment of absolute genius. He's fun to watch here but will be nearly untradeable at the deadline.

- Sedins weren't good tonight but that one moment of magic in the 3rd where they turned back the clock was really nice.

- Sutter line was ok at best. Gaunce had some good moments and did fine but looked rusty with the puck.

- Horvat was good and giving a solid effort but his linemates were not strong. Boeser's worst game to this point.

- Markstrom was outstanding. Numbers don't look amazing but he had so many tough saves to make. Is playing at an all-star level right now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
fUUHTtG.png

Flames did a poor job protecting the slot, but so did we and Markstrom outplayed Smith

Jesus Christ, look at all those shots from in close directly in front of our goal and in the slot.

Lines up with the eye test during the game - we were *abysmal* defensively tonight. Should have allowed 6-7 goals without Markstrom having a huge game and getting a goal overturned on a challenge.

Reactions: Hyzer and WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Jesus Christ, look at all those shots from in close directly in front of our goal and in the slot.

Lines up with the eye test during the game - we were *abysmal* defensively tonight. Should have allowed 6-7 goals without Markstrom having a huge game and getting a goal overturned on a challenge.

Yup, both teams were abysmal defensively, this is definitely not a good game from a technical point of view.

Flames would have had this game if they weren't so bad defensively, and we would have lost this game if it wasn't for Markstrom standing on his head.

Canucks aren't going to win many of these types of games.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I sort of expect us to be bad based on the piecemeal roster and wacky blue line, but I'm always surprised by how bad other teams are when we play them. Calgary looked just terrible defensively and still would have won if Markstrom hadn't mad some crazy saves.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
What a hilarious result. Should have been blown out but got every bounce while our goalie was great and theirs wasn't. Really an awful performance, probably the worst of the season. Bled scoring chances all night.

- all 6 defenders had games ranging from off-nights to outright terrible nights. Special mention to Gudbranson who was absolutely putrid. Hutton was sloppy but good to see him finally get a couple points.

- best line for most of the night was the Gagner-Vanek line. Gagner was probably the hardest-working player tonight and looked good.

- Vanek is basically the hockey version of what you see in soccer when an old, great player (like late-career Dennis Bergkamp) is jogging around the field slower than molasses looking like a complete waste of space until he pulls out a moment of absolute genius. He's fun to watch here but will be nearly untradeable at the deadline.

- Sedins weren't good tonight but that one moment of magic in the 3rd where they turned back the clock was really nice.

- Sutter line was ok at best. Gaunce had some good moments and did fine but looked rusty with the puck.

- Horvat was good and giving a solid effort but his linemates were not strong. Boeser's worst game to this point.

- Markstrom was outstanding. Numbers don't look amazing but he had so many tough saves to make. Is playing at an all-star level right now.
Yes team did have luck. Think Biega is coming back down hard from earlier level. I do not want to see Gaunce play that much ever. I guess he is great at practice as Green really trusts him in all situations. I thought the pk with him and Horvat was terrible. His 2 on 1 shot was a good idea if it was a 2 on 2 play. He is good at clearing the zone, positionally sound and is a big body. However the difference between him and Virtanen in getting to loose pucks is huge. I do not see why Virtanen could not be trained for Gaunces spot on the shutdown line. His skating is a plus rather than a negative. I fear Virtanen will sit for this low event player. Hope Gaunce develops more flow but I do not see it. He is a more responsible Vanek without his puck skill.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Anyone else think that JV will be in Utica soon?

Seems Erikson is close, I can see him taking JV spot.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Anyone else think that JV will be in Utica soon?

Seems Erikson is close, I can see him taking JV spot.

He shouldn't be, everything he's shown so far on-ice has been that he deserves an expanded role, particularly on both the penalty kill and power play. But unfortunately we aren't fully committed to the rebuild and we will only play bad defensive players on the PK. And aren't willing to commit a young player who could potentially grow into a defensive role.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I just don't see it in Virtanen. Looks like he'll be an inconsistent player throughout his career. Just don't see the talent many people here think they see.
Then it's your own problem
He's been making offensive plays and creating chances,just so the twins can keep wasting it

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Then it's your own problem
He's been making offensive plays and creating chances,just so the twins can keep wasting it

I don't think so, he's created plenty of chances himself and he's been playing well. He is top 3 in individual scoring chances for, it's just sheer bad luck that he hasn't been scoring more. Although the Sedins aren't really helping.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Can't say we deserved to win but got to give Canucks credit for a good third period. In the end, looked like we were fated to win this one. Got every bounce.

Good

Vanek - thought he was effective in lot of areas - especially along the boards. Cumbersome skater but seems to get there. Brought in to score and he's doing that - his goal was elite

Markstrom - a warrior tonight. Think he stopped one low shot with his face. Competes so hard and main reason (maybe only) reason team won. Situation where they had all 6 Canucks back in their crease was hilarious. Don't think I've seen that before.

Horvat - best player on the ice. Earning every buck he was awarded last summer.

Gagner - usually hard on this guy but he was good in this game. Not only the goal but worked hard back through the neutral zone and along the boards. Still don't see him on the PP. (which btw was just comically poor at times.)

Sutter - made some crucial plays and was dogged in his puck pursuit.

Bad

All the defense took turns in being pretty awful. Worst was probably Gudbranson. Guddy got a little better in the third (outside of few ill considered and tentative pinches) but he hopeless through much of the first half the game. You wonder if the Green system suits him (although, at times, you frankly wonder whether any system would). Green wants the D pressing up and doubtful Gudbranson has the game for that.

Hutton struggled as well. Seems like he is tiring and doesn't have the energy to skate himself out of trouble. Did not look good on the PP.

Tanev had some more bad moments as did Biega and Pouliot. Looks like the team would be better off rotating defensemen in and out of the lineup.

Burmistrov was MIA. Line was doing ok but it was virtually without him. Hard to remember when he made a good pass to a team mate. Gets in on the forecheck but easily gets by passed and then falls behind the play. Mostly baggage at the minute.

Others

Sedins goal was one of the nicest of the year and harkened back to the days of yore when they were actually good. Kind of warmed the heart.

Gaunce had some good moments and not so good ones. Got stripped a couple of times and forced into some poor passes. However, positioning was generally good and able to clog up the play at times. Looked a little static on the PK but also cleared puck at the end of the game. Nothing to write home about but didn't look out of place it's just that he often looks decent without the puck but not so good s with it. Unfortunate that he ended up the only minus on the team. Maybe significant that he got a lot more game time than Virtanen

Virtanen again seems a little lost. Guy has game breaking upside but how that can be harnessed still remains unrealized and something of mystery.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Pouliot was our best defender tonight. Unfortunately this speaks more about how crappy everyone else was, rather to how good Pouliot was.

Lucky to get away with one tonight. Glad to see we didn’t give up. On to Cali!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad