GDT: 11-6-2014 | "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" | Panthers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
It was one bad game, no reason to lose our minds. They played a poor game against New Jersey and got their act together after the game and went on their streak that just ended (after Ottawa, of course). Teams play poorly every now and then, even the good ones. Are we really going to flip our **** when the team is 4-3-4, down four top-9 forwards, and still competing for a playoff spot? They clearly need help on offense, we all can see that. But Huberdeau, Bolland, Pirri, and Bergenheim are still out. Huberdeau and Pirri especially will help contribute offensively. I'm confident that Tallon will make the necessary moves to get a scorer on this team to keep them in contention. Let's just take a deep breath and get ready for Saturday.

Definitely agree with this. We were due a stinker; EVERY team has games like this once in awhile. I still have confidence in Luongo and the defense and I also think we will start scoring a little bit more often.
I do think the play of our second overall pick center is concerning. Bjugstad is slumping hard, but he is still very actively engaged in games and you can see flashes of his talent. Barkov has done nothing, and looks timid

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Too bad Dale was too scared to draft him. But it's cool we got size and strength and size and character and strength and character and zzzzzzzz...

My God, leave it alone. Prospects aren't sure things and there were plenty of other teams that passed on Tarasenko. For all we know he would have come here and been a disappointment and then you would be complaining we didn't draft Bjugstad because Tarasenko is just another bust. And who's to say Bjugstad won't turn into a very good player? He's had a slow start in his second NHL season. Big deal. Move on.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Bergy is a 30 point guy in his career so he is not gonna solve this offense the same goes for Bolland whos not a scorer to begin with. Hubby has not started this season any better then Barkov tbh so dont really know if we can trust them to solve our issues on offense!

No one will ever mistake this team for the Blackhawks, but that's fine. They'll never score 4 goals/game, we know that. They're built to win with defense and goaltending. The lack of scoring is clearly an issue, but Tallon will make a deal to get a sniper on this team, and I'm sure a game like tonight really drives that point home. I'm just pissed that people are acting like the season is over when the team is 4-3-4 and still right in the middle of the playoff race. Take a breath people, Jesus.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Too bad Dale was too scared to draft him. But it's cool we got size and strength and size and character and strength and character and zzzzzzzz...

Look in the sky!

Captain_Hindsight_766605.jpg

All joking aside, we have no idea how Tarasenko would have panned out here. I think Dale picked the right guys. It's developing them into stars that is the tough part, unfortunately.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Last year it was "Omg, look how Mackinnon is doing". This year it's "Omg, look how Tarasenko is doing"

Can't wait for "Omg look how McDavid is doing"

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
No one will ever mistake this team for the Blackhawks, but that's fine. They'll never score 4 goals/game, we know that. They're built to win with defense and goaltending. The lack of scoring is clearly an issue, but Tallon will make a deal to get a sniper on this team, and I'm sure a game like tonight really drives that point home. I'm just pissed that people are acting like the season is over when the team is 4-3-4 and still right in the middle of the playoff race. Take a breath people, Jesus.

Agreed. We have improved a LOT from last year, even with our goal-scoring problems.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Last year it was "Omg, look how Mackinnon is doing". This year it's "Omg, look how Tarasenko is doing"

:facepalm: This board sometimes... It really sucks that Crosby, Ovechkin, and MacKinnon set the league on fire so early since everyone now has unrealistic expectations of young players. Bjugstad has been good to this point, he just hasn't had any puck luck. Maybe tonight changes that. I think Huberdeau looks much improved from last year, though the numbers aren't there. Barkov isn't great, there's no argument there, but he's still a stud defensively (apart from tonight). The offense will come for him, I'm confident in that. He's a young, shy kid from another country still adjusting to life in the US, let alone the life of an NHL player. Just because the kids aren't superstars in their second and third years doesn't mean they're busts.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Agreed. We have improved a LOT from last year, even with our goal-scoring problems.

Absolutely. Aside from goal scoring, this team has been very good to this point. Teams don't go from worst to first, there are steps in between. The Panthers are clearly taking a step this year. Playoffs would be great and a dream, but I'm happy as long as there is improvement and this team isn't a frontrunner in the McEichel sweepstakes.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Late to the party. Didn't read the rest of the thread, I knew what it would look like once I finished watching the game.

What the problem was, was that they lost their defensive mentally. They totally went back into the cutesy crap. They need to move away from that. Get back to playing hard D, so that that can become a routine, and they won't move away from that defensive mentally from time to time.
Saturday is going to be a tough test. If they don't get their crap back together, I have a feeling they will get embarrassed by a gritty Calgary team that doesn't take games off.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
My God, leave it alone. Prospects aren't sure things and there were plenty of other teams that passed on Tarasenko. For all we know he would have come here and been a disappointment and then you would be complaining we didn't draft Bjugstad because Tarasenko is just another bust. And who's to say Bjugstad won't turn into a very good player? He's had a slow start in his second NHL season. Big deal. Move on.

I say he won't because he lacks pure skill. Tarasenko just oozes it. He did back then and he does now. Tallon thought Bjugstad was an intriguing size/skill combo, but the safer pick was definitely Tarasenko, even back then.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

And so were 15 other GMs.... weren't you the one wishing we had taken Ryan Johansen in that draft as well? make up your mind.

Retrospect is 20/20

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Remember when people were ripping us for drafting a slow Finnish kid with a bad shoulder and passing on a pure offensive guy in Drouin and a defensive stud in Jones.. Well.. All I'm gonna say is that it's getting tougher and tougher to defend Barkov with every passing game. The defense is basically, uh well he's still young! Least we got Ekblad to make up for passing on Jones. We still need an offensive gem prospect. Huberdeau Barkov and Bjugstad aren't cutting it.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
And so were 15 other GMs.... weren't you the one wishing we had taken Ryan Johansen in that draft as well? make up your mind.

Retrospect is 20/20

I actually wanted Connelly over Gudbranson and Johansen, but Johansen was my 1B choice. I thought it was imperative for us to get a stud center first and foremost and was furious at the Gudbranson pick and still am kinda. Then, yes I wouldn't kept my next pick instead of moving it. I believe there were a couple of players rated a bit higher than Tarasenko, but the footage of that kid was mind blowing. He looked just as good as the CHL players if not better. Not saying I would've went Tarasenko, but definitely would've kept the pick and used it. The higher the better. Trading down isn't a great idea nowadays. That's why Dale kept the first overall and used it on Ekblad. He learned from his mistakes. That's a positive at least. Too bad he made those mistakes, because the 2010 draft was a huge year for this franchise. It was to us like 2015 is for Buffalo.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I say he won't because he lacks pure skill. Tarasenko just oozes it. He did back then and he does now. Tallon thought Bjugstad was an intriguing size/skill combo, but the safer pick was definitely Tarasenko, even back then.

You should apply for a scouting position with the Panthers.... clearly you can predict the future and are wasting your talents on this board

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I actually wanted Connelly over Gudbranson and Johansen, but Johansen was my 1B choice. I thought it was imperative for us to get a stud center first and foremost and was furious at the Gudbranson pick and still am kinda. Then, yes I wouldn't kept my next pick instead of moving it. I believe there were a couple of players rated a bit higher than Tarasenko, but the footage of that kid was mind blowing. He looked just as good as the CHL players if not better. Not saying I would've went Tarasenko, but definately would've kept the pick and used it. The higher the better. Trading down isn't a great idea nowadays. That's why Dale kept the first overall and used it on Ekblad. He learned from his mistakes. That's a positive at least. Too bad he made those mistakes, but the 2010 draft was a huge year for this franchise. It was to us like 2015 is for Buffalo.

I on the other hand believe that every draft is different and on this year's draft the concensus was pretty much Ekblad first and then the rest... no reason to trade down in that case. At the time, trading from 16 to 19 with the additional 3rd rounder in '11 was a great move IMO.

edit: my memory failed me... not a 3rd rounder in 11..... an additional second rounde in 2010

Last edited:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh

:shakehead Annnnnnd thats enough internet for tonight, folks.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Remember when people were ripping us for drafting a slow Finnish kid with a bad shoulder and passing on a pure offensive guy in Drouin and a defensive stud in Jones.. Well.. All I'm gonna say is that it's getting tougher and tougher to defend Barkov with every passing game. The defense is basically, uh well he's still young! Least we got Ekblad to make up for passing on Jones. We still need an offensive gem prospect. Huberdeau Barkov and Bjugstad aren't cutting it.

Lol. And now we're back to bashing our young players again. One who didn't even play tonight, one who just returned from injury, and one who actually scored tonight.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm a little nervous about Barkov too. But if this is his sophomore slump, at least he's making up for it with good defense. He didn't play well tonight don't get me wrong, but the whole team was flat. And yes we need a scorer, but I'm definitely not willing to give any of these three up for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad