GDT: 11-6-2014 | "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" | Panthers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I want something that tells me that this kid could be a superstar one day. Not sure people saw a lot of evidence in Bjugstad.

I cant speak about drafting but I think if u had DT's blackberry you would realize how hard it is to trade for quality players. You cant just pick them off like dangling fruit from a tree. You have to draft quality and bring them up in a winning team.

Tarasenko would play like versteeg if he were on this team because he doesnt have elite players surrounding him. Its all about nurture vs nature in this nhl. Guys like andrew shaw would be 3rd or 4th liners on this team but theyre stars because they play on chicago.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wonder where all this elite Tarasenko talk was last year, since I can't recall reading it. Flavour Player of the month, or so it seems.

On the actual game, defensive breakdowns cost this game, not the lack of offense. Sure it's great to score multiple goals per game, but when you gift wrap 4 goals to the opposing team, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

1st goal; Campbell got completely outplayed and hustled, JJ lost his 1on1 battle, Barkov was fishing near JJ and left his man open in the middle.

2nd goal; the whole line was puck watching, Boyes was late to his man.

3rd goal; questionable (IMO, I didn't see anyone else call it out here) high hit by Rinaldo that caused Kulikov to lose his man to the net.

4th goal; screwed up line change.

Other chances, I can only recall the one where Lu robbed Vinny towards the end. This game would have been a lot closer without these brainfarts.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I wonder where all this elite Tarasenko talk was last year, since I can't recall reading it. Flavour Player of the month, or so it seems.

Do you mean he was a regular scratch in St. Luis? I'm sorry, "elite" scratch. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014
When I say that Bjugstad lacks skill, I mean he lacks elite level skill. The kid definitely has some good hockey genes, but I don't see enough evidence of skill of the elite genre. Huberdeau, on the other hand, has elite level skill, but lacks in the shooting department. It's too bad we can't merge both players into one super player, ha. Tarasenko is that merger, though. Size, strength, elite level skill, little to no weaknesses, he's the whole package and those are definitely all traits of the usual suspects in the top scorers of the NHL. Remember, he was robbed of the Calder due to a concussion and had a pretty proactive year in STL last year as well.

Dude do you even watch the games? First of all you're very negative, like all the time. Also from everything I've seen the last 2 years Bjugstad has way more skill than Huberdeau, and I like Hubby. I haven't been impressed by Huberdeau, he getting knocked off the puck and not showing any puck control while Bjugstad drives to the net, shields the puck and controls it with some sick stick handling. Plus he has a wicked shot. You are way off buddy.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Dude do you even watch the games? First of all you're very negative, like all the time. Also from everything I've seen the last 2 years Bjugstad has way more skill than Huberdeau, and I like Hubby. I haven't been impressed by Huberdeau, he getting knocked off the puck and not showing any puck control while Bjugstad drives to the net, shields the puck and controls it with some sick stick handling. Plus he has a wicked shot. You are way off buddy.

our guys are great the first year.. then they poop out... :P

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
1) Bjugstad is better at handling and controlling the puck than Huby is. Way better in fact. Huby has some stellar moves in shootouts and penalty shots, but in actual game situations where time and space is limited, he doesn't do jack. I'm starting to agree with Laus and FrolikFan and some others, I'm starting to get worried about him.

2) Tarasenko fell because of the Russian factor. Everyone knew he was amazing. He made some questionable comments before the draft about playing in North America. If he was Canadian he would have easily been a top 5 pick.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Bjugstad scored! And on the powerplay! That's positive right? :naughty:

That does help. Nice play from Hayes and Bjugstad - that's a lot of forward to handle coming down on you.

Watched the replay :shakehead

One bad game after a point streak, as has been pointed out and Philly obviously came out guns blazing thanks to their little wakeup call last time.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
That does help. Nice play from Hayes and Bjugstad - that's a lot of forward to handle coming down on you.

Watched the replay :shakehead

One bad game after a point streak, as has been pointed out and Philly obviously came out guns blazing thanks to their little wakeup call last time.

Why would you do that to yourself?!

But in any case, the team has a lot of key players out, and like others have said, these games are showing Tallon that a move clearly needs to be made soon to improve this team. I think that's a good thing. The team is winning and staying in contention but it's also doing it in a way that leaves no doubt that this team is a guy or two away on offense from doing some real damage. It's a win-win. He's learning that Upshall and Flash don't really have a place on this team anymore and that a pure sniper and power forward with scoring ability and hands are necessary on the wing.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
All great points above but are those pieces obtainable? Who's the powerforward that can bolster this team? Who's the pure sniper that we can grab without breaking the bank? That's the question...

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
All great points above but are those pieces obtainable? Who's the powerforward that can bolster this team? Who's the pure sniper that we can grab without breaking the bank? That's the question...

Chris Stewart is a power forward I'd like to see Tallon at least find out about. He shouldn't cost a fortune, maybe Flash/Upshall and an early pick since Buffalo is in a rebuild and are looking to stock up on picks. I don't want to trade the 1st in 2015 for anything short of a spectacular return since the draft is at home and if this team misses the playoffs there's a small chance, regardless of how small it actually is, that the team could win the lottery (maybe Bettman will throw us a bone, I can dream...). Wayne Simmonds is my ideal target, but no way in Hell that happens without a lot of the young core going the other way. Andrew Ladd is another guy that I'd like to see on this team, though it's unlikely at this point with Winnipeg overachieving. I'd love to see the future lines of this team set up on the Chicago model with three offensive lines and a checking line. Two of the offensive lines will likely have good some two-way players, and the other line will be pure offense. Something like...

Pirri-Barkov-Stewart
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Grimaldi
Jokinen-Bolland-Trocheck
Howden-MacKenzie-Hayes

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Bjugstad I am not concerned about as others have said. He's playing well (for the most part) and creating chances not only for himself but for his inept linemates as well.

Barkov isn't doing anything out there. If I wasn't specifically watching for him I wouldn't even notice him. I mean, Kopecky is more noticeable than he is. Barkov doesn't do anything on the ice to for you to spot him. That's fine if he's cerebral, but he's not. He just doesn't do anything. Last year he was completely different.

He constantly dumps the puck in and is always passing it off. He looks like **** out there. He needs to snap out of this soon because he'll be riding out his ELC, get a piss poor two year contract and will be back to Finland as one of the biggest busts ever in a few years.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, so please relax when you accuse me of calling him a bust already. But right now things are not looking good. He had a full off-season to recover from injuries. He's grown another year and matured but seems to have taken a big step backwards. It could just be a confidence thing and he just doesn't trust himself out there like he did last year, but why? What changed that would force him to do that? Are his knees a lot worse than we thought and he's scared of getting badly hurt?

What's scaring me is how much his current play reminds me of all the Shvidki's, Novoseltsev's and Olesz's that we've had throughout the years. Super "talented" players from Europe that just look lost out there at times. Defensively he's still somewhat but whoever players you put him with, he's the worst of the 3 this year almost every shift.

I wish someone knew that answer so they could help him improve on it and start getting on the right path again, cause he's definitely on the wrong road right now.

Every other game he had looked great defensively. Yesterday he didn't but that is just one game. He does need to step it up offensively. I believe he will.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Chris Stewart is a power forward I'd like to see Tallon at least find out about. He shouldn't cost a fortune, maybe Flash/Upshall and an early pick since Buffalo is in a rebuild and are looking to stock up on picks. I don't want to trade the 1st in 2015 for anything short of a spectacular return since the draft is at home and if this team misses the playoffs there's a small chance, regardless of how small it actually is, that the team could win the lottery (maybe Bettman will throw us a bone, I can dream...). Wayne Simmonds is my ideal target, but no way in Hell that happens without a lot of the young core going the other way. Andrew Ladd is another guy that I'd like to see on this team, though it's unlikely at this point with Winnipeg overachieving. I'd love to see the future lines of this team set up on the Chicago model with three offensive lines and a checking line. Two of the offensive lines will likely have good some two-way players, and the other line will be pure offense. Something like...

Pirri-Barkov-Stewart
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Grimaldi
Jokinen-Bolland-Trocheck
Howden-MacKenzie-Hayes

Not keen on Stewart. He's a possession nightmare.

Ladd and Simmonds I would be happy with. But getting those players would be difficult. Especially Simmonds considering the contract he is on.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Every other game he had looked great defensively. Yesterday he didn't but that is just one game. He does need to step it up offensively. I believe he will.

Long offseason without hockey, young and shy kid from another country, new system, lots of variables going into the way Barkov has played. He just needs a bit of confidence and I'm sure we'll see a completely different player, the player from last year.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I cant speak about drafting but I think if u had DT's blackberry you would realize how hard it is to trade for quality players. You cant just pick them off like dangling fruit from a tree. You have to draft quality and bring them up in a winning team.

Tarasenko would play like versteeg if he were on this team because he doesnt have elite players surrounding him. Its all about nurture vs nature in this nhl. Guys like andrew shaw would be 3rd or 4th liners on this team but theyre stars because they play on chicago.

Well said. Similar to the point about Eberle. He would come here, score 12 and everyone would hate him.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

On the actual game, defensive breakdowns cost this game, not the lack of offense. Sure it's great to score multiple goals per game, but when you gift wrap 4 goals to the opposing team, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

1st goal; Campbell got completely outplayed and hustled, JJ lost his 1on1 battle, Barkov was fishing near JJ and left his man open in the middle.

2nd goal; the whole line was puck watching, Boyes was late to his man.

3rd goal; questionable (IMO, I didn't see anyone else call it out here) high hit by Rinaldo that caused Kulikov to lose his man to the net.

4th goal; screwed up line change.

Other chances, I can only recall the one where Lu robbed Vinny towards the end. This game would have been a lot closer without these brainfarts.

Nice summary.

I look forward to next month and seeing who the young player is on a hot streak, and wait for all the bemoaning on this board.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Not keen on Stewart. He's a possession nightmare.

Ladd and Simmonds I would be happy with. But getting those players would be difficult. Especially Simmonds considering the contract he is on.

Stewart would be the guy to go get the puck, give it to Barkov/Pirri, then get to the net. And if he doesn't work out, let him go in the offseason. I'm just not big on Bergenheim with Barkov. He's a very hard worker but almost negates his effort with his lack of scoring touch. Barkov set him up a ton the first few games that they were reunited and he just couldn't finish. He needs a power forward that can create space for him.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We shouldn't have to be beating up our kids for every mistake or non production.

Cuz we shouldn't be totally relying on them.

We just couldn't sign that 30 goal guy and we all know Bolland is just our wannabe.

So we sit and cross fingers and hope that either:

vets jussi flash berg upshall score 20

or

a few of the kids break through

or

we are an 80-85 point team with great d, great netminding, and cant score more than 2 goals.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing Barkov in the AHL for a couple games (assuming he can be sent down safely). Let him find his game and relax a bit. It's something he's never gotten to do since he got drafted and I don't think it would hurt. Thoughts?

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I know I'll probably get some flak for this, but I wouldn't mind seeing Barkov in the AHL for a couple games (assuming he can be sent down safely). Let him find his game and relax a bit. It's something he's never gotten to do since he got drafted and I don't think it would hurt. Thoughts?

In theory, I think you're right and it would be a good idea. But in practice I don't think it really works. His confidence would be completely shattered being sent down to the AHL after being the second overall pick with a good season last year (same thing with Huberdeau last year). He hasn't been as bad as some on this board would lead you to believe, either. His defensive play aside from last night has been top-notch and he impacts the game in more ways than just the scoresheet. I'm willing to be patient with him.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

I'd rather just move him to the 2nd or 3rd line until he gets going.

I see all these line projections and like gospel he's always on the first line, but he's not really earning that spot. Put Bjugstad or even Jokinen (his faceoff % is acutully over 50!) over there.

Bumping him down a line or two =/= giving up on him but it sends a message to him and the rest of the team.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
In theory, I think you're right and it would be a good idea. But in practice I don't think it really works. His confidence would be completely shattered being sent down to the AHL after being the second overall pick with a good season last year (same thing with Huberdeau last year). He hasn't been as bad as some on this board would lead you to believe, either. His defensive play aside from last night has been top-notch and he impacts the game in more ways than just the scoresheet. I'm willing to be patient with him.

I don't know if you follow baseball. But I'm a big Blue Jays fan. When Roy Halladay was really young he got sent from the MLB all the way down to single A ball. He worked his way up and became a generational pitcher. Obviously it is the best case thing. I just think he could find his game a bit better in the AHL

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'd rather just move him to the 2nd or 3rd line until he gets going.

I see all these line projections and like gospel he's always on the first line, but he's not really earning that spot. Put Bjugstad or even Jokinen (his faceoff % is acutully over 50!) over there.

Bumping him down a line or two =/= giving up on him but it sends a message to him and the rest of the team.

FWIW, when I do lines, the top three are usually interchangeable.

Just getting too lazy to put that.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I don't know if you follow baseball. But I'm a big Blue Jays fan. When Roy Halladay was really young he got sent from the MLB all the way down to single A ball. He worked his way up and became a generational pitcher. Obviously it is the best case thing. I just think he could find his game a bit better in the AHL

I don't follow baseball too closely (though as a Cubs fan...:help:...I'll probably get into it a bit more as their top prospects break into the majors), but it doesn't seem like it's a great comparison. Those guys know they have to spend a few years in the minors and there's so much more to learn, especially as a pitcher, in the transition from high school/college ball to the pros. They learn to fine-tune their pitches, add additional pitches to their arsenal, and learn to live the life of a professional.

I agree it would help him in certain ways (though I probably wouldn't want to see it), but it just seems like it would be bad for his development. He played against men in Finland for two seasons and did very well. Then he came here and had a good, productive first season. If they had him play in San Antonio last year it would have been fine, but in his second season with as much change as the organization has seen from lines to coaches to systems etc., I think it would do more harm than good to his confidence. Last year he started out a bit slow and was able to pick it up around December/January. I want to give him more time.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

... and lose it once again when Gallant tells him to play it safe, discourage him being creative with the puck and use the D&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad