GDT: 11-6-2014 | "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" | Panthers @ Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
All this talk about offense, but when we were playing good defense we were picking up points. I couldn't care less about the offense if it sacrifices defense. Plus those high powered offensive teams don't make it to the top anyways. Yeah they put on a great show and make it to the playoffs, but then they get erased. Sure I want these guys to score, but I want them to play defense more.

I think at this point with these players, if they start to put more thought into offense they turn into the Panthers of the last 2 years. So they should think about the defense until they get that down pat and then think about the offense. The funny thing about it is if they play good defense the offense has a better chance to produce. Yes offense would be nice, but defense first, make that your foundation then build on top of that.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
All this talk about offense, but when we were playing good defense we were picking up points. I couldn't care less about the offense if it sacrifices defense. Plus those high powered offensive teams don't make it to the top anyways. Yeah they put on a great show and make it to the playoffs, but then they get erased. Sure I want these guys to score, but I want them to play defense more.

I think at this point with these players, if they start to put more thought into offense they turn into the Panthers of the last 2 years. So they should think about the defense until they get that down pat and then think about the offense. The funny thing about it is if they play good defense the offense has a better chance to produce. Yes offense would be nice, but defense first, make that your foundation then build on top of that.

:handclap:

I've gotta believe that Gallant has drilled it into their heads that defense comes first. Goal scoring will improve with confidence, and confidence will improve with results. Results will happen when the team plays good defense. Kind of a long process, but...
Winning -> Confidence -> Offensive creativity -> Goal scoring

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

"Offense wins games, defense wins championships."

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
But, but, but I don't like watching 2-1 hockey games. It's boring. :sarcasm:

I know, but considering the reputation of Florida as perennial bottom feeder in the league, it's hard to attract skill that'll shoot the lights out to the Cats without giving up assets. Generally speaking, I concur that the entertainment value should not be comprised while trying to win the games. However, I think that the Cats have to go through a process which will change people's opinion about the Cats, like the recent comments by Simmonds. It's iffy whether we make it to the playoffs this season, but I reckon that after this season other team won't be expecting easy 2pts anymore.

An interview where Burke tells about how he feels about how to win games from the GM's perspective (onward from 7:45):

I know people don't like Burke, but I agree with his vision how the game should be played wholeheartedly. Thus, I hope that the current defense-first strategy only for the beginning of the season because it's unsustainable both from the entertainment and winning-perspective. Spectators and high skill players will get frustrated and games can't be won if they only score 1.5 per game. During the next 10 games, I want to see some creativity on the offense. If not, I'm starting to lose faith in Gallant, because even a moron as a coach can setup a trap on the def. blueline, but it takes some intellect to observe the opposition's defense (from videos and on the spot during games) and tell the players what strategy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad