Post-Game Talk: 11/22/19 | #20 RANGERS @ senators

3 'Stars' of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

This should be up on the clubhouse cork board all season. I’m really amazed the Senators would even say this. It’s great intel though. I did think the defenders did a good job of getting out of their own end, at least later in the game. So I’m not terribly concerned. And weren’t all the Sens goals on the rush or power play?

Reactions: Tob

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This should be up on the clubhouse cork board all season. I’m really amazed the Senators would even say this. It’s great intel though. I did think the defenders did a good job of getting out of their own end, at least later in the game. So I’m not terribly concerned. And weren’t all the Sens goals on the rush or power play?
The coaching staff should at least now know how to prepare the team for remaining matches against Ottawa. They've been outmatched by Ottawa's staff.

Reactions: egelband

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Team is doing a major disservice to Hajek forcing into a top pairing role

Kid is floundering big time

I didn't see the first 10 minutes of the game, but Hajak played the least minutes tonight and I really didn't notice him at all. Trouba played with a number of different partners too.

The situation is not ideal for several of the prospects, but they're coping for the most part. You can't expect them to look good, they just need to hang in there. All of them have a future in the NHL. If it becomes necessary, the organization will send them to Hartford so they can iron out the rough spots.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Looks like they had there Thanksgiving Day turkey before the game. Everyone was sluggish.Tryptophan poisoning.
Sens trapped and we tried to carry puck thru the neutral zone and got stuck.
Breadman was dry and stale ....
Fox has hit a wall
Brendan had bite and lost a tooth.
New Pavel looked like old Pavel.
Kreider talks a good game post game but what about playing a game during the game.

Pregame meal tonight Poutine..and pounce on the Habs.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's happened a few times now that certain teams employing certain counters to the Rangers game plan have had absolute dominance in our zone. We are horrible under pressure. It's both inexperience and structure. You can't expect rookies and young players and some of our damaged in the head players to alleviate direct pressure by McDonaghing out from behind the net by themselves. The amount of errant passes is medium but the amount of passes that lead to the puck being in a no better position held by another player who doesn't know what to do with the puck is ghastly. I refuse to believe this is a simple matter of players not applying themselves and not being professionals. Coach Quinn is going to wear himself out to the players by the end of the season if he continues to frame this problem as individual efforts and not his incomplete defensive scheme at the NHL level.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It's happened a few times now that certain teams employing certain counters to the Rangers game plan have had absolute dominance in our zone. We are horrible under pressure. It's both inexperience and structure. You can't expect rookies and young players and some of our damaged in the head players to alleviate direct pressure by McDonaghing out from behind the net by themselves. The amount of errant passes is medium but the amount of passes that lead to the puck being in a no better position held by another player who doesn't know what to do with the puck is ghastly. I refuse to believe this is a simple matter of players not applying themselves and not being professionals. Coach Quinn is going to wear himself out to the players by the end of the season if he continues to frame this problem as individual efforts and not his incomplete defensive scheme at the NHL level.
They are also displaying an inability to simplify their game when the going is rough. They're in love with themselves and their skills based game. The coaching staff surely gives them room for creativity, but it's not on them when the players are too into themselves to limit the spin around passes and what not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I remember when I was really really little. Like a year old. When I was a year old, I crapped my diaper. It wasn't my fault, I guess. There wasn't much I could do about it. It was part of the process. Until I learned that there was something different expected and possible and how to make that happen, that was just how I rolled at a year old.

This game was that diaper.

This team will learn and get better.

This team will wear big boy pants.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I remember when I was really really little. Like a year old. When I was a year old, I crapped my diaper. It wasn't my fault, I guess. There wasn't much I could do about it. It was part of the process. Until I learned that there was something different expected and possible and how to make that happen, that was just how I rolled at a year old.

This game was that diaper.

This team will learn and get better.

This team will wear big boy pants.
Mah' man. If it all fails, there is always Depends.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s crazy how on a bad night like this they can’t even pass. The first 30-40 min everything was behind players and in their skates. It’s crazy how much variance there has been in simple execution like that.
There have been games where they were simply outclassed (Boston, Tampa). There have been games where they were competitive, but lost (Florida). Unfortunately, this loss was of the variety where they just did not show up.

The vets in the room (Yes, Chris Kreider, I am looking at you. But there are others). Have to address the floating and reading of your own press clippings.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sooner we get Kreider and Skjei out of the organization the better we will be . Either one of those two could have thrown a HUGE it last night in the first few minutes and maybe changed the tempo of the Sens or at least gave them something to think about . Both are very soft...pretty to watch...but SOFT ! They have to GO . We need to be team tough by at least 60% of the guys buying into that plan . Kreider and Skjei just don't want to play that game . Henrik once again had some great body language happening .....he should also grow up and be more a team player or also be shown the door. Hockey is a TEAM sport....it is not about individuals and their numbers .

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I've seen some inconsistent teams through my 30+ years as a Rangers fan, but this one may be the most maddeningly inconsistent. There's not much carry over or momentum from game-to-game, and it's almost like they totally forget how to play hockey every other game.

The most frustrating thing to me is that the Rangers played with a lot of effort last season, even if they weren't that talented, and the consistency in effort level has taken a huge nosedive this season. Our so-called leaders and players that have been on the team for awhile are amongst the biggest culprits, they certainly haven't led by example.

This is also the worst PK I've seen since the Dark Ages. At this point I think the only way to fix it is schematic and/or coaching change.

Reactions: Cag29 and leetch99

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
9296500A-29EE-4C49-A9E8-639B72B719E0.gif

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I've seen some inconsistent teams through my 30+ years as a Rangers fan, but this one may be the most maddeningly inconsistent. There's not much carry over or momentum from game-to-game, and it's almost like they totally forget how to play hockey every other game.

The most frustrating thing to me is that the Rangers played with a lot of effort last season, even if they weren't that talented, and the consistency in effort level has taken a huge nosedive this season. Our so-called leaders and players that have been on the team for awhile are amongst the biggest culprits, they certainly haven't led by example.

This is also the worst PK I've seen since the Dark Ages. At this point I think the only way to fix it is schematic and/or coaching change.

The inconsistency shouldn't be maddening though, they are the youngest team in the league. It would be crazier if they were more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad