GDT: 11/20/13 - Minnesota Wild @ Ottawa Senators - 6:30PM CST - FSN, TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

He's got Brodin syndrome. Wearing a helmet he's not use to is causing him to not score any goals. :sarcasm:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Two small things from the game that stuck with me,both hopeful for the future;

- Zucker's speed. If he remembers to shoot and stays healthy,he's going to have a place in the NHL.

- a rush by Dumba resulting in a hard hot that missed the net. He might be as fast as Zucker, and has a strong shot. I know he's just a pup, and has nowhere near the poise that Brodin had at that age, but he looked Coffeyesque in the way he pulled away from everyone on the ice. I think he has a chance to be special in a couple of years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Re-watching the 3rd period on FSN... the best part about the Koivu goal? Him ignoring Parise banging his stck cutting down the side and ripping a shot.

space321

May 11, 2011
Great article!

I don't really get why they should vote to ban it. If the guy who scored the goal wants to do it, then let him. Or as Heater put it:

I could definitely see it as a bit of showboating if they do the fly by in a blowout game. But I'd have no problem if it was a game winner or something.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Didn't watch much of the first two periods because the wife kept distracting me :laugh: But from what I saw of the third, Koivu was fantastic, and has been for the past couple weeks now. They seem like the opposite of the team from October, where the puck possession isn't as good, but they are getting clutch goals and winning games.

Personally to me it seems like the issue is our breakout/neutral zone play. Early in the season we were breaking the puck up and through the neutral zone so crisply that it not only negated the other teams forecheck, but allowed us to play in the other teams zone.

Teams are getting more possession against us now because we are struggling more to cleanly get it out of the zone.

Just what I've been seeing lately. We've been just as dangerous as ever when we do get it in the zone.

Difference is we're actually capitlizing on some chances/getting better puck luck.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Also Scandella has been really great this year in relative terms to what I expected. Guy looks like he could be a legit top 3/4 defenseman. I still think Spurgeon is good enough (people overblow his size issues) to be a #4 dman. Him and Scandella play well together. On a championship team obviously you probably want Spurgeon being on your bottom pair with lots of PP time.

If we could add one more top 4 dman that's a pretty solid future with Suter/Brodin/Dumba/Scandella/top 4 dman/Stoner or whoever.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I don't understand why the whole fly-by celebration thing is even an issue. The players have other things to worry about. I mean think about that for a second, ain't that a *****? Oh we don't want to celebrate with the bench after we score, meanwhile the teams that can't put anything in are dying to at least do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this never got past the scuttlebutt level; it's a non-issue to me, and it should be to the league as well.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
why is the breakout bad?

Too much collapsing and not enough movement when the team does gain possession.

I only see the road games on TV, but there should be very few instances throughout a game where you should be able to see all 5 skaters in the frame in the defensive zone. With the Wild, you very rarely anything but 5. So when you do gain possession, there's no one to stretch the opposing defenseman to create some space underneath to work with. Which in turn leads to a lot chipping the puck up the boards or out of the zone unless a defender can beat a man and/or skate the puck to create space.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I've heard a lot of praise for Scandella, but I'm wondering if Scandy's playing well, and Suter/Brodin are brilliant, and I know Spurgeon has been pretty good, why is the breakout bad?

Koivu.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well damn, if we didn't have all five guys below the circles in some of those cases i think we would be scored on the last few games. we were anyway in some cases. But our D can't clear the crease to save their lives and when magic stickwork doesn't work we're left with all hands on deck poking and waving their sticks around. hooray slashing and tripping penalties!

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'm not referencing when the opposing team has total control and the team is collapsing to keep the play on the perimeter.

I'm talking about when there's a 50-50 puck or the team is gaining possession. There just isn't an urgency to get up the ice. Nor does the defensemen activate in the rush enough (for my liking, anyway).

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm not referencing when the opposing team has total control and the team is collapsing to keep the play on the perimeter.

I'm talking about when there's a 50-50 puck or the team is gaining possession. There just isn't an urgency to get up the ice. Nor does the defensemen activate in the rush enough (for my liking, anyway).

Agree with this to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg