Pre-Game Talk: 11/17 @ Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
From what I can tell flames hockey is marketed as more of a low-brow form of entertainment than in Edmonton. Watched the Calgary feed of the preseason game and no joke one of the time fillers in intermission was a series of clips of guys getting hit in the nuts in various ways. I feel like you would never see something like that on an Edmonton broadcast. It's bound to attract a little more of a certain type of person.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
I went to an Oilers/Flames game once by myself, wearing nothing but a Winter Classic hat. I was approached on the train after the game (the Oilers won) by two Flames fans who looked at my hat and basically asked me if I was an Oilers fan. I said I wasn't, and they said "Good, we would've beaten you up if you were".

Not all Flames fans are drunken *******s but they're not all good people either.

This is true of almost any team who has a historical rival. I’ve been to a dozen or so Flames/Oilers, Flames/Canucks the last few years, and besides the occasional ribbing I’ve never seen nothing violent. Same goes for Edmonton. I used to try and attend every BOA game in Edmonton and not once did I see anything overly aggressive. The chances of anything violent occurring are astronomically low. I don’t buy that 2 guys were attacked simply for being rival fans unless they were REALLY mouthing off.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is true of almost any team who has a historical rival. I’ve been to a dozen or so Flames/Oilers, Flames/Canucks the last few years, and besides the occasional ribbing I’ve never seen nothing violent. Same goes for Edmonton. I used to try and attend every BOA game in Edmonton and not once did I see anything overly aggressive. The chances of anything violent occurring are astronomically low. I don’t buy that 2 guys were attacked simply for being rival fans unless they were REALLY mouthing off.
Alcohol does a lot to a person's brain. I remember one occasion I was standing in line for food between periods and some guy, obviously drunk, was talking to me about how they needed to get rid of all the Euros from the NHL. No idea who this guy was or why he decided to tell me these things.

And these people exist everywhere, not just at Flames/Oiler games.

My dad and I attended a Oilers/Ducks game in Anaheim decked out in full gear when both teams were approaching the playoff race. The Ducks fans were nothing but polite to us. Some minor ribbing but nothing offensive.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Russell is a bottom six guy in the AHL that does extremely well at evens and on the PK, my guess is when he does slot in it’ll be lower in the lineup.

I liked what Marody brought to the table with Strome in his earlier games.

Russell has been on the second line with Gambardella and Malone this season.

Reactions: North

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think they have to go back to McNuge unless Rattie/Chiasson/Marody can play their off-wing or you want Lucic back in the top6.

Reactions: ujju2

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would sure like us to win this one. I am off to rocky mtn house area to see some of my nieces and nephews who are huge flames fans.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Alcohol does a lot to a person's brain. I remember one occasion I was standing in line for food between periods and some guy, obviously drunk, was talking to me about how they needed to get rid of all the Euros from the NHL. No idea who this guy was or why he decided to tell me these things.

And these people exist everywhere, not just at Flames/Oiler games.

My dad and I attended a Oilers/Ducks game in Anaheim decked out in full gear when both teams were approaching the playoff race. The Ducks fans were nothing but polite to us. Some minor ribbing but nothing offensive.

Nah, it just removes the filter and inhibition allowing people to be who they really are.

I am not a heavy drinker but I have been pretty drunk a handful of times. Never did I, or my buddies for the matter, say xenophobic crap or go looking for physical altercations like the examples referenced in this thread.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Nah, it just removes the filter and inhibition allowing people to be who they really are.

I am not a heavy drinker but I have been pretty drunk a handful of times. Never did I, or my buddies for the matter, say xenophobic crap or go looking for physical altercations like the examples referenced in this thread.

I don't know. true to an extent

I'm seen people whose drunk demeanor is quite different depending on their mood and things going on in life.

just like one day you can have 6 drinks and feel ok and the next time have 6 and feel totally looped.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

There's ribbing, which is ubiquitous and it's actually pretty fun to get engaged it in because it's all in good fun. And then there's just complete asshole, bash bros who want to ruin your night. I've experienced the latter more times than I'd like to admit.

I've had beer "accidentally spilled on me" after sitting down from cheering after an Oilers goal, again the popcorn thrown at me through a game and threats to fight once I left the building, C-train rides were pretty aggressive and I've seen a fight on it. I've seen a fight in front of the stairs under the plus-15 walkway from the C-train. I've also gone to games where I've had Flames Fans high five me for a Connor McDavid goal.

I've seen more bad than good in the Saddledome though.

Last edited:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I'm curious to see how it is for me but I believe it's happened to him. I've seen similar dumb things happen in Edmonton after games too. Once saw a drunk Canucks fan charge an innocent Oilers fan on the LRT going home. Drunk sports fans are really dumb sometimes.

What I wonder is how widespread it is.
Hell I've seen a guy (drunk Preds fan?) jump down 4 rows of seats here back in Rexall to attack someone.

Reactions: Aerrol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
From what I can tell flames hockey is marketed as more of a low-brow form of entertainment than in Edmonton. Watched the Calgary feed of the preseason game and no joke one of the time fillers in intermission was a series of clips of guys getting hit in the nuts in various ways. I feel like you would never see something like that on an Edmonton broadcast. It's bound to attract a little more of a certain type of person.

I know. I watched that and all my wife and I could think about as the camera showed the entire crowd busting a gut was Idiocracy

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

I know. I watched that and all my wife and I could think about as the camera showed the entire crowd busting a gut was Idiocracy

Hahaha, exactly what I was about to mention. Ow my Balls! Was such a great movie when it came out, now it's just scary how accurate it is and it only took a decade, not 500 years.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Just don’t take any **** from anyone.

I just chirp back and most of the time end up having a beer or chatting hockey with the same guys who first heckle.

It’s sports, trash talking is an art and if you have fun with it it’s 99 percent of the time harmless and fun.

No Oilers fan should ever under any circumstances be afraid to rock our colours. The Dome is our house.
Not sure it works that way in CGY.
People have accidentally thrown beer on me there. Maybe a brawl is needed to get some awareness. Sadly I am too old to start anything so just go with the flow.

Tickets are pretty much half the price in that arena.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I'm actually pretty confident going into this game. McDavid has always made a mockery of the Flames defence. I don't care about Rittich's numbers... nobody can stop that McDavid to Draisaitl (except Niemi apparently lol).

Reactions: Porkleaker

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm curious to see how it is for me but I believe it's happened to him. I've seen similar dumb things happen in Edmonton after games too. Once saw a drunk Canucks fan charge an innocent Oilers fan on the LRT going home. Drunk sports fans are really dumb sometimes.

What I wonder is how widespread it is.

Drunk people do stupid things no matter where you are. Almost every violent act is brought upon the victim by his own actions. A simple wave or cheers and then walking away from a idiot drunk usually avoids all conflict.

Wore my white McDavid jersey to 2 games at the ‘Dome last year and never had any issues. Laughed and joked with Flames fans all night and had a great time.

Canucks fans are the worst, Hell they tried to destroy their own city when they lost in the finals and couldn’t even sell out playoff games that year and the next year.

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
People seem to have forgot about what our team was like when we had Eberle and Hall. We were pushed around like school girls. Any time Hall was touched he went down, he was famous for going behind the net at 100 miles an hour and throwing the puck to the middle, only for the puck to be gobbled up and taken the other way. With Larson we got way more powerful defensive play and a defense man that can be plain nasty in front of our net to get more protection for our goalie. With Eberle in 4-5 yrs of being here, he rarely, if ever went into the corners to get a puck, not setting a good example to our young impressionable team. bottom line we were not winning. We have gotten tougher to play at least and no longer pushed around. The wins will come.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People seem to have forgot about what our team was like when we had Eberle and Hall. We were pushed around like school girls. Any time Hall was touched he went down, he was famous for going behind the net at 100 miles an hour and throwing the puck to the middle, only for the puck to be gobbled up and taken the other way. With Larson we got way more powerful defensive play and a defense man that can be plain nasty in front of our net to get more protection for our goalie. With Eberle in 4-5 yrs of being here, he rarely, if ever went into the corners to get a puck, not setting a good example to our young impressionable team. bottom line we were not winning. We have gotten tougher to play at least and no longer pushed around. The wins will come.
That sure didn't stop the Lightning from running around.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I’ll take things that didn’t happen for $500 Alex.

Lol. Sure, I've just made it up to get attention on an online message board.

If you've ever been to an Oilers/Flames game at the Saddledome, especially on a Saturday night, you'd know that the situation I explained there is completely minor compared to most of the shit that goes down. And while most of it is probably due to both sides doing a little too much talking, my situation wasn't.

Hell, I once watched a Flames fan (drunk out of his mind) heckle a probably mid 20's Oiler fan and his younger brother literally ALL the way down the tunnel back to the LRT station. It's probably a 5-10 min walk when it's crowded. It was absolutely non stop, in their faces, throwing popcorn etc. The two in the Oilers jerseys said absolutely nothing until the belligerent asshole decided it would be funny to slap the younger kid in the face. I can't imagine he was older than 14.

I guess there was some unity in that situation though, as probably 50 people, Oilers and Flames fans, watched the kids older brother beat the living hell out of the guy haha.

I've been to a decent amount of arenas. NYC, Nashville, Philly, Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Vegas. I've never seen anything worse than the dome. Like I said though, its expected as the BOA is going to be a little more heated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Oiler fans in saddledome are way more aggressive then Flames fans in the saddledome.

Oiler fans in Rogers are way more aggressive then Flames fans in Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce