Post-Game Talk: #11 - 11/2/19 | RANGERS @ predators

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
People are quick to say this is overblown but perhaps it isn't.

Staal tries his best to defend, I'll give him that, but he's absolutely sub-NHL at transition.

That has a domino effect more so than bad defense.

The problem for Staal is structural in the transition game. And heck, even Skjei has a bit of the same issues.

Having the puck is good, giving it away is costly. Staal and the Ds of his generation makes those area passes. Lifts it in to the right areas. You don’t look if someone is there, they should be there. But it’s possible to play other ways in today’s game.

And Skjei, like he got quick skates and can get to the redline for a dump in. There are some times when dumps the puck in that I — really — would love to get a chance to sit down with Skjei and the coaching stuff and question them about it. Like once per game at least he makes that play. We have the puck and both teams makes a change, Skjei rush up to the redline and sends a slapper around the boards to give the puck away. We have zero pressure on the puck. Skjei himself aren’t pressured.

It’s 2019, why are we giving the puck away? The young Ds are thought differently. That is why they are better. I’ve said this for years, and so often faced question like ‘should we have two rookies on the blueline’??? But the thing is, especially when I look at the draft rankings I made, even I underestimated just how fast and broad these kids are able to come in and contribute.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To your first observation - I think it’s just a coincidence, pretty obvious that the true connection is Staal being replaced by Lindgren.

I hope more people are starting to come around about Strome. His sample size of good play is getting larger.

Sometimes you get a bit of odd effects, not saying that anything was Zibas fault of course. But the team seems to have a more realistic approach after he was injured.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
People are quick to say this is overblown but perhaps it isn't.

Staal tries his best to defend, I'll give him that, but he's absolutely sub-NHL at transition.

That has a domino effect more so than bad defense.

Even subtracting transition from Lindgren’s game, his defending has been incomparably better than Staal’s this season.

Overall I expected that this season Staal will be spending time in his civil clothes, but still major props to Quinn for not being scared to go with 3 rookies and a sophomore on D.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I thought Fast actually played worthy of the third star this afternoon. Really stellar performance for that whole line.

One wonders if you go

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Lemieux-Zibanejad-Kakko

When Zibby returns. Or, maybe you see Chytil or Strome moved to wing to prevent Howden ending up on the 4th line.
I hope they move Strome to wing and not Chytil if they go that direction.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sometimes you get a bit of odd effects, not saying that anything was Zibas fault of course. But the team seems to have a more realistic approach after he was injured.

When Zibanejad is back it will settle things down even more. I liked Panarin - Strome - Buchnevich before Chytil was brought back, still hope Panarin and Zibanejad stay split. I’d go with

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Chytil - Strome
Fast - Howden - Kakko
Lemieux - Andersson - Smith

Reactions: egelband and Ola

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I thought Fast actually played worthy of the third star this afternoon. Really stellar performance for that whole line.

One wonders if you go

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Lemieux-Zibanejad-Kakko

When Zibby returns. Or, maybe you see Chytil or Strome moved to wing to prevent Howden ending up on the 4th line.
I hope they move Strome to wing and not Chytil if they go that direction.

Strome on Chytil’s wing.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I thought the game was at 7 but glad to see we won...will watch the replay. Also really elated to see Georgiev only let up 1 goal and is continuing to be solid and consistent, but also a bit leery that we haven't been seeing Hank do the same...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: will1066

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I’m pissed I missed this one. But at least everyone’s saying good things about this game. Staal and Hank are probably getting worried, but I would like to hope they are team-first guys.
Imo, Staal absolutely should be worried, Hank not really. I think Hank will get roughly 50% of starts as was the plan from the beginning. Lindgren is far better than Staal, Georgiev isn't far better than Hank though he has been very good.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I can't remember when I was more down on the Rangers just 6 days ago. I can't remember the last time I felt this positive as the last two games. We won't be cup contenders or anything but man the future is bright.
Exactly how I feel. Watching Chytil come back and play like the player we all wanted him to be really turns the ship on this season. He and Kravtsov are crucial to this rebuild and their disappointments have been the icing on top of terrible play from the Rangers. Good to see Chytil responded to the demotion, hopefully we didn’t completely screw up our relationship with our top prospect (assuming Kakko plays enough games to graduate)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
When did Jagr not have a mullet? Are we talking like in utero

GettyImages-55655586-e1560814736851.jpg
Jagorim Jarg

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Funny how things start looking better when these young guys and new guys on the team get some games under their belt and start getting acclimated to each other on the ice. That's why I have always said you have to wait 15-20 games into the season to really see what kind of team this is, not whine like middle school girls after 4 games when things aren't going well.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Damn that game was too close for comfort. Nashville plays tough. Seems we have learned to play in your face hockey. It's good to see the whole team following their assignments. Nashville is one of the leading scorers per game. We now held them and TB to one goal each.

Did I say previously Kreider can't play D? He was outstanding today. I think he was using Panarin's lucky stick. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad