GDT: #11 – Bruins at Sabres – Thu Oct 30, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B, BELL TV – WGR

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It is useless cause the comment is off one random play which is always silly and pointless. I think he's inconsistent and constantly put in over his head (like most people on the team), and it would be nice to see if he could produce/develop on a real team but his opportunity here is clearly running on a short fuse.

Now if he had scored on the slap shot 30 secs earlier would he now be a top 2 defenseman? Hey look a silly judgement comment base on one play, hence my point.

My bigger concern with him is simply his commitment level, he never seems to have the stamina to hold up on longer shifts. Whether that's a training level thing or just as good as he can get at his size, who knows.
I love arguments like this. It's not one isolated incident. I've seen the same stupid mistakes for 5+ years. Saying that if he scored the same logic should be applied is laughable. If scoring a goal like that was something he did on a consistent basis then sure it would make sense but that's not reality.

Stop acting like it's based on one play. If you had a kid who spilled his milk every few dinners are you saying it's not okay to tell them to stop it because for that night it's an isolated dinner? Or would you say "Hey ******* you've been spilling your milk for the last 5 years I think you might be Pejorative Slured."?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Sigh.

Do you realize the kid is 24 years old? In theory at least that means it's still possible for him to work on something and actually improve results.

Where it goes to face-offs, Hodgson has been working on it and thus far this season has seen improvement.

Not saying he came into this season some sorta face-off expert, or even solid. Not saying there won't/wouldn't be diminishing returns over a season. Not saying anything more than what the numbers say -

Thus far this season, Hodgson is the only regular face-off guy over 50%. 53.5% coming into this game. Good for ~10% more than the next guy (Girgensons).

Sheesh, is it possible to point out a single positive about a player without getting leaped on? :shakehead

Why do you think that 24 is so young for a forward former 1st round pick, who is on year 5 in the nhl? He's at least a third of his way thru his career.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
What a bunch of losers, doing loser stuff for the ten millionth time.

There is going to be a huge Stalinesque purge coming soon!

You think a born loser like Drew Stafford will be on this team when the tank is over?

COHO will be gone too; ditto Ennis.

These guys are serving their purpose now, while the object is to lose.

No big deal.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I love arguments like this. It's not one isolated incident. I've seen the same stupid mistakes for 5+ years. Saying that if he scored the same logic should be applied is laughable. If scoring a goal like that was something he did on a consistent basis then sure it would make sense but that's not reality.

Stop acting like it's based on one play. If you had a kid who spilled his milk every few dinners are you saying it's not okay to tell them to stop it because for that night it's an isolated dinner? Or would you say "Hey ******* you've been spilling your milk for the last 5 years I think you might be Pejorative Slured."?

Except for the last year or so he's been playing great hockey. Comments like this and a couple of others only come out of the wood work when he does make a few bad plays, usually because he's trying too hard.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Anyway, the goal was a product of the team not being able to get the puck out of there own zone on an extremely long shift, rather than a single individual breakdown. But whatever, let the agendas flow.

Did a bolt of lightning hit you when you made the agenda comment?

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
Anyway, the goal was a product of the team not being able to get the puck out of there own zone on an extremely long shift, rather than a single individual breakdown. But whatever, let the agendas flow.

I hope this was said with some sense of irony.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sigh.

Do you realize the kid is 24 years old? In theory at least that means it's still possible for him to work on something and actually improve results.

Where it goes to face-offs, Hodgson has been working on it and thus far this season has seen improvement.

Not saying he came into this season some sorta face-off expert, or even solid. Not saying there won't/wouldn't be diminishing returns over a season. Not saying anything more than what the numbers say -

Thus far this season, Hodgson is the only regular face-off guy over 50%. 53.5% coming into this game. Good for ~10% more than the next guy (Girgensons).

Sheesh, is it possible to point out a single positive about a player without getting leaped on? :shakehead

:dunno: How 'bout give him the Hodgson treatment?

Using your description, don't see how they're any different? Well except for Hodgson being younger and regularly reliable to take face-offs.

The bolded is what started this back and forth. Its a complete crock. He is not a reliable face-off man thats taking face-offs on a regular basis. The last two seasons, when he led the team in face-offs taken with 802 and 969 respectively, he averaged 46.8% both years. He is no longer taking face-offs on regular basis. Its great that him getting removed from being a regular at face-offs has led to a nice uptick. But no longer having to take many draws nor many tough ones is why there is an uptick. Not because he has become a face-off master.

And 24 years old for a forward is not young.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
What a bunch of losers, doing loser stuff for the ten millionth time.

There is going to be a huge Stalinesque purge coming soon!

You think a born loser like Drew Stafford will be on this team when the tank is over?

COHO will be gone too; ditto Ennis.

These guys are serving their purpose now, while the object is to lose.

No big deal.

That makes me feel sad. Drew did win a world juniors championship. I must be even more of a born loser.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Did anybody else think it was funny that Stafford new how many shots they had in the 2nd period in his interview AND was right with how many goals they had leading up to the game?

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Did I say it was an isolated incident? No.

Random bad plays/mistakes can be found on literally every player in the NHL. That was my main point on the original comment. Picking one play and saying "THIS IS WAY HE'S NEVER GOING TO BE BLAH BLAH BLAH" is stupid. You picked up the torch and ran with it, and that's equally stupid regardless of the realities of Myer's play/development. One play doesn't indicate anything, end of story.

You have your own agenda, and that's fine, mine is I hate hyperbolic stupidity, nobody said Myers was a #1 outside of peoples own projections of what they want him to become. I don't think he'll ever get to that #1, but even projecting him to that speaks of delusion, because there's at best 10 or so players in the entire league who I'd consider "#1" defenseman. So apparently a few other teams are in the same situation.

If Myers had scored on that slapshot, he'd be the hero and many would hold, "on his way to #1" which is equally stupid. He's still young for a defenseman, and clearly asked to do too much, and any single play doesn't signify much of anything, which was my point which you've been able to elude so well.

He dumped the puck while trying not to lose a game after the crap about the Toronto failure (a whole other issue), and it resulted in an icing. HE WILL NEVER BE A #1. Good logic on that, hence why my comparison is equally valid.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Did I say it was an isolated incident? No.

Random bad plays/mistakes can be found on literally every player in the NHL. That was my main point on the original comment. Picking one play and saying "THIS IS WAY HE'S NEVER GOING TO BE BLAH BLAH BLAH" is stupid. You picked up the torch and ran with it, and that's equally stupid regardless of the realities of Myer's play/development. One play doesn't indicate anything, end of story.

You have your own agenda, and that's fine, mine is I hate hyperbolic stupidity, nobody said Myers was a #1 outside of peoples own projections of what they want him to become. I don't think he'll ever get to that #1, but even projecting him to that speaks of delusion, because there's at best 10 or so players in the entire league who I'd consider "#1" defenseman. So apparently a few other teams are in the same situation.

If Myers had scored on that slapshot, he'd be the hero and many would hold, "on his way to #1" which is equally stupid. He's still young for a defenseman, and clearly asked to do too much, and any single play doesn't signify much of anything, which was my point which you've been able to elude so well.

He dumped the puck while trying not to lose a game after the crap about the Toronto failure (a whole other issue), and it resulted in an icing. HE WILL NEVER BE A #1. Good logic on that, hence why my comparison is equally valid.

I know. Imagine if he actually had a good coach during these 5 years.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
The bolded is what started this back and forth. Its a complete crock. He is not a reliable face-off man thats taking face-offs on a regular basis. The last two seasons, when he led the team in face-offs taken with 802 and 969 respectively, he averaged 46.8% both years. He is no longer taking face-offs on regular basis. Its great that him getting removed from being a regular at face-offs has led to a nice uptick. But no longer having to take many draws nor many tough ones is why there is an uptick. Not because he has become a face-off master.

And 24 years old for a forward is not young.

^^ That is a copy 'n paste from my response which is not in conflict with my original comment (though does elaborate on it for clarity that I'm speaking only to "thus far this season"), and which holds true irrespective of the other stuff you've expanded into.

For the record though, I disagree that 24 is not still young for a forward. He'll be 25 soon enough (for context, around the time Sabres' "ancient" captain hits 36), though even that is on the younger side IMO. Only beginning to come into his prime years. Again, IMO.

But whatever category you prefer to plug Hodgson into (young or not young), that a guy finished his first two full seasons in the 46% range does not mean he's a bust in the dot or that he will never improve. That is another fact.

As for draw quantity, pretty sure I agreed it'd prob be a factor over the long haul, or at least inferred as much when commenting on Girgensons' numbers? In any case, sure, yep, you betcha! The long term effect of draw quantity is definitely arguable. Like ice times, every guy is gonna have his own range for optimum performance.

Anyway, all I said was what the numbers say - thus far this season, Hodgson is the only regular face-off guy above 50%. I'm not arguing your "face off master" hyperbole. :D

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Why do you think that 24 is so young for a forward former 1st round pick, who is on year 5 in the nhl? He's at least a third of his way thru his career.

To a certain extent a few of you might actually be a tad more welcoming of genuine discussion of casual hockey chatter back 'n forth type, if you laid off the whole thing about manufacturing a debate over a word.

Can we agree that Hodgson is presently 24 years of age and soon enough to be 25 years old? I call that young. Those who are reportedly experts in the analytics call it younger than the average forward hits his peak. You're welcome to call it whatever you like though. Perhaps "not young" is your preference? :sarcasm:

Also, if we can agree that 8 games played in a season does not equate to having played a year in the NHL, then we'd have to agree that Hodgson is at most in his 4th NHL season (not "on year 5"). And if we agree that there were only 48 games in the 2012-2013, then we'd probably also agree Hodgson is really still shy of having played 3 full seasons (not "on year 5").

Any which way though, Hodgson is 24 years old, played his first NHL game at the age of 21, has only played 222 games over parts of 5 seasons (or 24 games less than 3 full NHL seasons of 82 games), and thus far this season is the only regular face-off guy above 50%.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
And that's why Myers will never be a #1, just doesn't have the head for the game

And this is why we can't have nice things. Unless I'm wrong, this was a reaction to Myers stupid icing. He skates half the ****ing game, but one icing and now he just doesn't have the head for the game? I'm pretty sure he thought he was going to get a little more loft on the puck. Look at his body, his knee is practically touching the ice. Jesus. He was the best Sabre on the ice for like the 20th straight game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad