Prospect Info: #102 G Tyler Brennan, Prince George WHL

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I have a hard time understanding these rules tbh!
me too! but yeah this was his 18 y/o season, since he was first year draft eligible (though he turned 19 like 2 weeks after the draft.

HOWEVER, just realized he's played 4 years of juniors, so he's eligible for minor league hockey. So yeah, I bet he'll back up in the AHL.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There's lots of complicated stuff about what players can play where, but the basic rule to keep in mind is that if the player turns 19 the year he's first eligible to be drafted, he can turn pro the year he turns 20. Brennan was born in September 2003 so he can be a pro next year. Signing this contract starts his waiver clock, so I see no reason why he'd go back to junior - I imagine he will start in the ECHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Good for Brennan. I was intrigued by this pick when we made it, because it seemed like he was one of the better goalies in the draft, and this could look like a late round steal if he developed well. Seems like he's still on the right path.

Reactions: Billdo

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This has to be bad news for Blackwood, no?

Has nothing to do with him. I can't imagine the Devils will go with a goalie depth chart of Vanecek/Schmid/Daws/Brennan next year, so the only question is do they sign an NHL backup or a guy to split time at the AHL level?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Has nothing to do with him. I can't imagine the Devils will go with a goalie depth chart of Vanecek/Schmid/Daws/Brennan next year, so the only question is do they sign an NHL backup or a guy to split time at the AHL level?
They're gonna roll Schmid as NHL backup. He's been good in the NHL and his cap hit is 850k. Unless we just don't re-sign ANYBODY, the cap hit alone is gonna put him over the edge.

So if we sign a guy, it's AHL fodder.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I mean it does have something to do with him, maybe not a ton bc like you said, that's not much depth wise but it has significance to him. I'd go so far as to say I think Schmid has already taken over as the backup for next year.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mean it does have something to do with him, maybe not a ton bc like you said, that's not much depth wise but it has significance to him. I'd go so far as to say I think Schmid has already taken over as the backup for next year.

It doesn't have anything to do with him because Brennan should be the 5th goalie on the depth chart regardless of what happens at the NHL level. I don't think Blackwood will play here next year but I am not convinced they're going to make Schmid the backup with only 2 years pro experience.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We may go with an older third string vet to split time with Daws in the AHL, which could put Brennan in the ECHL to start the year.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We may go with an older third string vet to split time with Daws in the AHL, which could put Brennan in the ECHL to start the year.
Well you figure they will have Vanacek and Balckwood fresh off his 8 year extension in NJ with Schmid and Daws in Utica which really leaves no room for Brennan above thr ECHL.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
It doesn't have anything to do with him because Brennan should be the 5th goalie on the depth chart regardless of what happens at the NHL level. I don't think Blackwood will play here next year but I am not convinced they're going to make Schmid the backup with only 2 years pro experience.
I think a lot of this depends on how cash strapped NJ is after Meier and Bratt situations are resolved. I don't believe NJ will sign a 4 million dollar backup in any case.

Reactions: Bleedred

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
This is good news no matter what. It means the team thinks highly enough of his development to sign him. That's good.

It also does likely mean we will look to either not qualify, trade, or release as UFA Blackwood next year. I just think Blackwood needs a fresh start somewhere else. I'd love to get something for him, even if it's a 4th rounder.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is good news no matter what. It means the team thinks highly enough of his development to sign him. That's good.

It also does likely mean we will look to either not qualify, trade, or release as UFA Blackwood next year. I just think Blackwood needs a fresh start somewhere else. I'd love to get something for him, even if it's a 4th rounder.

It has nothing to do with Blackwood. He is most likely leaving the organization, but this has no impact on him whatsoever. Only a season removed from a year where the Devils used 7 goalies, they would be absolutely nuts to make Brennan their 4th string goalie.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad