sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
152-155.
Four reasons why Tuukka Rask has been so brilliant these playoffs

152. On his feet

When Rask stands up, rather than defaulting to put his pads on the ice, he appears larger to shooters than his 6-foot-3-inch, 176-pound frame.

“The centerpiece of his game right now is control,” Weekes said. “There’s no wasted motion. He has become Carey Price in his game right now. He’s very centered, very balanced, which allows him to be very patient.

“He has the confidence to wait that extra split-second. I can’t tell you how hard that is to do as a goaltender.”

153. Active hands

The Finnish style of netminding, as seen in Pekka Rinne and others, is to be aggressive with the blocker and glove, having them out in front of the body and attacking the puck rather than letting it arrive. Rask leans forward to take away top-shelf space.

“He is driving his shoulder into the shot rather than opening up his shoulder and trying to steer,” Raycroft said.

154. Short, explosive, edgy

From a positioning standpoint, Rask hits the check marks. He keeps his body square to the shot, showing great awareness of the blue paint and his posts, and sits deep in his crease or comes out high as the situation dictates.

He accomplishes this mostly with quick, powerful movements. Shuffling quickly and not overcommitting lets him get in position to make the next save. He does that with great edgework, both standing up and on his knees.

“Sometimes when going laterally he will slide on his knees and it can get him chasing the game a little,” said Raycroft, whose time in Boston ended when he was dealt to Toronto for a teenage Rask in 2006. “Right now everything is on his feet, east-west, and he’s holding those edges with great timing.”

155. A bit of luck

No goalie survives the playoffs without bounces. Eighteen seconds into Game 3 in Carolina, Teuvo Teravainen slapped a one-timer wide of an empty net. Rask was tripped, and he said an official told him a goal would have been overturned for goalie interference.
But given the way these playoffs have gone, maybe not.

“Who knows how it would have played out?” Boucher said. “If you get the breaks, roll with them.”

Rask’s puckhandling is an underrated part of his success, though he is sometimes an adventure with the puck on his stick. Carratu noted that Rask is “saving himself a lot of shots” by stopping pucks behind the net and dishing to his D.

“Give him credit,” Carratu said. “He hasn’t played behind consistent D pairings and he’s made smart decisions.”
This is a goalie who, in Carratu’s estimation, “hasn’t made a desperation save all playoffs.”

“He’s almost putting in all of his work before the save: finding the puck, getting himself set, playing the shot,” Carratu said. “So when the guy is shooting, he’s relaxed.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...e=amp&event=event25&__twitter_impression=true

Brewin

Nov 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
157. My new TV

I bought a new TV for the playoffs in 2011 - we all know what happened there. Replaced that old TV for this years run. Seems to be working so far!

158. Undefeated with my son watching.

On May 10 my wife and I welcomed our first child to the world. Since his arrival the Bruins have been undefeated. His name? Ryder ;) And yes, I'm from The Rock...

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
157. My new TV

I bought a new TV for the playoffs in 2011 - we all know what happened there. Replaced that old TV for this years run. Seems to be working so far!

On May 10 my wife and I welcomed our first child to the world. Since his arrival the Bruins have been undefeated. His name? Ryder ;) And yes, I'm from The Rock...
Congrats! May he remain undefeated!

Reactions: Brewin

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
157. My new TV

So what I'm taking away from this is that you need to have a child and a new television every year. You can be The Brewin Bunch. :D

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

Because Boston sports own St Louis in Championship matchups this century

Sox in 2004 and 2013
Pats in 2001 and 2018 (by proxy, they just moved)

And Boston has defeated St Louis for a championship in all 4 major pro sports leagues, with the Celtics beating the St Louis Hawks in the 1957 NBA Finals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad