2019 Stanley Cup Final 1000 Reasons Why the Bruins Will Win the Cup In 2019

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
View attachment 231115

183. Butch’s Modern Game

Ask Bruce Cassidy a hockey question, and his answer will be thoughtfully detailed and delivered in the most genuine fashion. He’ll even throw a quick one-liner in there just to make it fun.

Always an optimist, the coach of the Boston Bruins is preparing for his first Stanley Cup final. The hockey world has received an up-close-and-personal introduction to Cassidy during the Bruins’ playoff run, and he’s exactly what the NHL needs in today’s game.

Cassidy, 54, is knowledgeable, funny, outgoing, passionate and committed to his craft and he’s one reason the Bruins are on the brink of hoisting the Stanley Cup when they face the St. Louis Blues in the final, beginning Monday at TD Garden.

“He studied the game,” Neely said. “If you’re not studying the game you’re not going to see these little things that coaches do. Butch is always looking at the big picture. He was a student of the game for all those years (after he retired as a player) and looking at where things were going and how they’re getting there and what can he do to improve this team do that.”

Here’s what some stakeholders from around the NHL are saying about the job Cassidy has done in Boston:

Eastern Conference GM
“Cassidy doesn’t get enough credit there. People talk about their top line but I think the key for the team has been how he handles the team. He’s more demanding on guys than people know but really consistent with his communication and defining everyone’s role.”

Western Conference GM
“Bruce has done a real good job. You look at his career, after being a head coach he went back to the American League and kept on coaching. He’s really evolved into today’s type of coach. He’s good on the bench, it looks like he’s good with the guys, just a straight shooter type of guy and a team really responds to that.”

Western Conference assistant GM
“I’ve been so impressed by the coaching job that they do as a staff. It’s incredible. I have a lot of respect for Butch, because I like people that get fired and claw their ****ing way back into it. He’s figured it out and he handles players differently. He’s a survivor. He’s a remarkable individual that crawled his way back into the game. They have a remarkable coaching staff and they’re solid all the way around.”

Another Metropolitan Division coach
“The best in the NHL. When Chara and Bergeron went down and they stayed the course, that was it for me. Plus, they work like dogs, which also goes with drafting and free-agent signings. Their bottom six work as hard as any, which is the identity of the organization.”

Former NHL coach
“I was skeptical when they let Claude go, but Bruce has re-energized the organization. Quite frankly, he brought their style of play into the modern game. They play with speed and they’re on the attack all the time; with and without the puck. They transition quickly with speed and numbers and they make plays. He’s encouraged that and it’s very evident with the way they pass and move the puck. They press hard in all areas. Claude obviously had great success in Boston, but the change to Bruce has allowed the team to move to a modern style of play. It’s very evident.”

From The Athletic
He’s brought their style into the modern game: NHL sounds off on what’s made Bruce Cassidy successful

Good article

Butch has out-coached one ex Flyer in the playoffs, now he needs to out-coach one more

Reactions: sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
187. Papa Zee
Chara, at 42, remains vital cog for Bruins in run to Stanley Cup Final

Now, 13 years later, with two Stanley Cup Finals and one Stanley Cup championship under his belt, and with his third Cup Final as captain about to begin on Monday at TD Garden against the St. Louis Blues (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS), he believes in what he has brought to Boston.

He believes it will outlast him, whenever he finally stops playing the game.

"That's ultimately the goal," he said. "As a parent -- you want to do that, to hand off your experiences, your heart, your soul, to them, and hopefully you'll see them one day become what you envisioned. That's obviously a goal for me, to see these younger players one day become -- step up on that platform, being a leader, and set their standards for the next generation and lead and win.

"It will make me happy because you see that little sadness that you are maybe not part of it anymore, but proud moment because I think I have a little, maybe, to do with it."
On Bergy
"He was just a kid, just a tiny kid, but look at him now," Chara said. "I'm so proud of what he's done and how he became someone that I can always rely on too, and we became such a good duo, working with the team and teammates."

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
187. Papa Zee
Chara, at 42, remains vital cog for Bruins in run to Stanley Cup Final

Now, 13 years later, with two Stanley Cup Finals and one Stanley Cup championship under his belt, and with his third Cup Final as captain about to begin on Monday at TD Garden against the St. Louis Blues (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS), he believes in what he has brought to Boston.

He believes it will outlast him, whenever he finally stops playing the game.

"That's ultimately the goal," he said. "As a parent -- you want to do that, to hand off your experiences, your heart, your soul, to them, and hopefully you'll see them one day become what you envisioned. That's obviously a goal for me, to see these younger players one day become -- step up on that platform, being a leader, and set their standards for the next generation and lead and win.

"It will make me happy because you see that little sadness that you are maybe not part of it anymore, but proud moment because I think I have a little, maybe, to do with it."
On Bergy
"He was just a kid, just a tiny kid, but look at him now," Chara said. "I'm so proud of what he's done and how he became someone that I can always rely on too, and we became such a good duo, working with the team and teammates."

...only 813 to go :laugh:

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
B73AC44B-DADE-48FE-ADD4-77E94F9CC261.jpeg

188. Warrior - Investment in Infrastructure

The mornings and afternoons the players would spend elsewhere have become team-building moments at the team’s in-season home.

This was all by design.

Grzelcyk cites the pancakes, prepared by team chef Keith Garman at Warrior Ice Arena, as one of the preferred dishes keeping his wispy body from withering. Cassidy considers the data, gathered by the Firstbeat heart rate monitors and Catapult wearable devices his players use during practice, to manage workload. After practice, Wagner would dunk himself in the hot and cold tubs. The resources at Warrior — kitchen, lounge with its ping-pong table and TVs, sun-soaked weight room, underground parking, rehabilitation and recovery equipment — have prompted players to arrive early and loiter late.

“The game’s so fast now. Guys have injuries all the time,” Brad Marchand said. “You need top-of-the-line training equipment, which we have now. Even if you have guys back to play a couple more games, that could be the difference between winning an extra game and getting an extra point, making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. All that stuff matters. It’s definitely helped us be in better condition and be better athletes. The extra step or the extra player back, or feeling a little better for one game, it can make a difference, which equals millions of dollars for the team and potential Stanley Cup for the group. That stuff all matters.”

The Bruins have called their Brighton practice facility home since the start of the 2016-17 season. It is probably not a coincidence they returned to the playoffs that season after two consecutive misses.

Warrior is the centerpiece of an organizational infrastructure project that corresponds with president Cam Neely’s consolidation of power and the promotion of Don Sweeney to general manager. The Bruins had been a cap team to that point. But the structure surrounding their roster, which was also under construction, required not just reinforcement but also expansion.

“We took the approach that we were behind,” Sweeney said of the team’s investment in sports performance. “I think you have to take that approach in looking for the next thing. We talked to some other sports. I think you have to assume that other teams are already doing this stuff. Then you try to find that next nuance for yourself. It’s an evolving field.”

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
191. The First-Timers: Cherishing Every Moment

cut.jpg

"I'm soaking it up," said McAvoy, who along with his teammates will open up the Stanley Cup Final on Monday night against the St. Louis Blues. "I'm going through this for the first time. I was actually talking to one of our trainers, Donny [DelNegro], and he was kind of making the joke that, look at where you are, you're 21 years old and you made it this far.

"You're playing in the Stanley Cup Final at this age. For the rest of your career, you'll have this to look back on. And once you have these experiences you can go through anything as far as hockey goes."

"For me, it means a lot," said Cassidy. "I talked to Zee and Bergy after the scrimmage the other night. Of course, the last two guys to leave, the two most accomplished guys. They're taking this very seriously and I think the team feeds off those guys. Now all of a sudden it's: if these guys are focused, we need to be focused. It's a trickle-down effect which helps us."

B's First-Timers Cherishing Their Chance

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
192. The Black Aces

cut.jpg

The term "Black Aces", originally coined in 1940 by legendary Bruins defenseman Eddie Shore, describes the extra skaters waiting in the wings to be called into action in case of injuries.

The Bruins have a host of 12 of these "Black Aces" who have been skating regularly since the end of their AHL season on Apr. 26. Down in Providence, Peter Cehlarik, Zach Senyshyn, Jack Studnicka, Trent Frederic, Anton Blidh, Jordan Szwarz, Paul Carey, Urho Vaakanainen, Jeremy Lauzon, Jakub Zboril and Kyle Keyser. In Boston, Zane McIntyre has been with the team as the third goaltender.

"I actually did this back in [2012] back when Phoenix went to the Western Conference Finals and they lost to LA," said Szwarz. "That was my first experience being a Black Ace. I stayed the whole way there. I've been through this before so some of the young guys have been asking me what it's like and I've had that experience to share with them."
Having been through it, some of the younger players have asked Szwarz about what to expect.

"Just to take it all in," said Szwarz. "It's amazing what these guys are doing up here. We've had the privilege to come and watch some games and see these guys competing and how fortunate they are to be in this position. Just take it all in and just really see how much of a grind it is that these guys are going through."

Black Aces Relishing Their Ride with the Big Club

ps. I hope the Bruins re-sign him.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
175. Because who ever runs Laura Branigan's Twitter took issue with facts:

Because if Bruins decided to use a “Gloria” song it would be the Them version. Gritty and rough. And no, the Bruins would not be Bruins if Laura Brannigan ever felt she needed to fight their battles for them. #Studio54 vs. #DirtyWater.

Reactions: Bergyesque and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That's not Laura Brannigan. Laura Brannigan is dead. That's her people keeping her Twitter alive, which is creepy as f***.

Reactions: Alicat

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I know one reason... #37 Patrice Bergeron, still one of the most underrated, under appreciated, overlooked players in the game. He more than deserves this, and all the recognition that comes w/ it. You can minimize what he can do to hurt you, for a while. You think you're safe. But he never stops, never quits, never lets his team quit. Make one mistake he and his linemates are just waiting to make you eat it, and in the clutch.

Then, you're in hockey hell, w/ the added humiliation of being chirped by Marshy. Another guy written off as a pest. He may be a pest, but he's also one of the best players in the game. You think you have him, then he turns you inside out, outside in, just waiting for the sliver of ice he needs to find his decade long linemate, or Pasta who was born to score goals, and you're smoked.

Mic'd up, and set up for a goal by Bergeron, in the celebration Marshy says to Bergy "I love you". I'd rather pee on a electric socket than play these guys.

Krejci, yeah Krejci! Focus on stopping Bergeron, he flies under the radar, and right up your ass like he always has.

I think Tuukka finally caught Timmy fever. He has something to prove, and he's doing it. He's shut up everyone, myself included. Keep making them eat their words, Tuukks, and all will be forgiven. Eating crow is delicious, keep it coming.

Oh yeah, speed, depth, and the kids buying in.

Enjoy, you ALL deserve this.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I know one reason... #37 Patrice Bergeron, still one of the most underrated, under appreciated, overlooked players in the game. He more than deserves this, and all the recognition that comes w/ it. You can minimize what he can do to hurt you, for a while. You think you're safe. But he never stops, never quits, never lets his team quit. Make one mistake he and his linemates are just waiting to make you eat it, and in the clutch.

Then, you're in hockey hell, w/ the added humiliation of being chirped by Marshy. Another guy written off as a pest. He may be a pest, but he's also one of the best players in the game. You think you have him, then he turns you inside out, outside in, just waiting for the sliver of ice he needs to find his decade long linemate, or Pasta who was born to score goals, and you're smoked.

Mic'd up, and set up for a goal by Bergeron, in the celebration Marshy says to Bergy "I love you". I'd rather pee on a electric socket than play these guys.

Krejci, yeah Krejci! Focus on stopping Bergeron, he flies under the radar, and right up your ass like he always has.

I think Tuukka finally caught Timmy fever. He has something to prove, and he's doing it. He's shut up everyone, myself included. Keep making them eat their words, Tuukks, and all will be forgiven. Eating crow is delicious, keep it coming.

Oh yeah, speed, depth, and the kids buying in.

Enjoy, you ALL deserve this.
Neely08!
An all-time fav of mine.
Thanks for the beautiful post!

Reactions: Kate08

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
201. Hometown Charlie is motivated by the ghosts of his past.

Let's Bring It Home | By Charlie Coyle

OK, that is a bit melodramatic, but he relates the story of losing the Super Eight championship in the Garden at the end of his Weymouth team's Cinderella run.

I can’t go back in history and change that Super Eight final, but you better believe I’m going to give every ounce of effort I can to create a new favorite memory in the Garden for myself, my family and my boys who shocked the world back in ’07.

I want to win a Cup for Boston and Weymouth — for all the great people from my town who’ve supported me every step of the way. And I want to win one for all my cousins back home who I know are going to be losing their minds as soon as that puck drops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad