2019 Stanley Cup Final 1000 Reasons Why the Bruins Will Win the Cup In 2019

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
422E1717-2863-4644-A49B-F4289DD977A7.jpeg
120. Routine

Scheduling a scrimmage tomorrow - at night - with refs, etc. reinforces the routine. There’s been a lot of talk around routine in the past week, and I picked out some pertinent quotes.

The Athletic feature, with Krug breaking down every movement of a pre-game skate is fascinating. Check it out if you subscribe—excerpts below after the —

I don’t even talk to the guy [Rask] right now,” defenseman Torey Krug said. “I’ll try to ignore him. I’m sure he’s ignoring me. From Day 1 in the playoffs he’s been in a routine, he’s had that look in his eye. I’m sure most guys fall into that category, just kind of tip-toeing around him and stay out of the way of his routine.”

Marchand: “...this time around I think I’m more appreciative of being here and at the same time a lot more calm, I guess, in a way. End of the day, it’s hockey, we’ve done it a million times, so we’re just going to go and try to do what we’ve done all year, be in a good place. It’s fun, it’s exciting and we may never be back here again, so got to enjoy it.”

Krug on pregame warmup (from The Athletic - so much fun detail)
“It’s a checklist to see if I’m mentally prepared to go,” Bruins defenseman Torey Krug said. “I’m not a guy where if I mess up part of the routine — I don’t freak out. Every game you might not physically be feeling it, or you might not have your hands, you might not have the energy in your legs, but for me with the way I play, I at least have to have my brain. (Warmups) is just a mental checklist to make sure I’m prepared and I can feel comfortable going into the first shift that I’m ready to go.”

During the course of an 82-game season, players will be in and out of the lineup, so sometimes the pregame warmup can become a bit disjointed, but all players do their part to keep it in sync and help one another maintain their routines. For example: Part of Krug’s routine is to pass a puck with teammate Zdeno Chara. Well, the captain was out of the lineup for Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final against the Carolina Hurricanes, so Brad Marchand stepped in to help Krug.

Once the players are dressed and ready to take the ice, the Bruins line up in a particular order in the hallway outside the locker room. Once the players reach the bench and sprint onto the ice, warmups officially begin as a pyramid of pucks on the dasher are toppled by Patrice Bergeron.

“Bergy knocks them off, Marchy knocks a bunch off and he leaves one for me,” Krug said. “And I try to make sure I score a goal on that first shot just to set the tone for the rest of the warmup and eventually the game.”

We skate around a bit and that leads into me and Bergy cycling in the corner, so I shoot a few pucks and when the time comes, Bergy grabs a puck and he bounces it off the boards. I bounce it back. He bounces it again. I pass it to him and he flips it up in the air and I just try to come I up with a fun, creative way of setting for him. He scores and I backwards skate all the way around and slide to Pasta. I give Bergy a couple of taps (on the backside) and then spin to Pasta and we do our hand spin.

Last edited:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
121. Gratitude

Marchand on Backes:
"When you see a guy that's been around that long, he has an opportunity to play for a Cup, finally has that opportunity, it's a lot of emotion. [Patrice Bergeron] said it before. When you play in this league for a long time, you start to appreciate and understand how hard it is to win and how few opportunities you get to win the Cup.

Backes, no doubt, appreciated the kind words of his Black & Gold brethren. But he was quick to remind some of them, particularly Boston's young core, that they should be enjoying this opportunity for themselves. Because as he knows all too well, they don't come around very often.

"Some guys play 15-20 years in this league and never make it to a Stanley Cup Final," said Backes, who debuted with the St. Louis Blues in 2006-07. "We're blessed to be in this position and each and every guy should take this as potentially their only time…trying to remind those young guys, I appreciate you thinking of me. But think of yourself as well and think of the guy to your left and right.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Come on peeps, gotta get this thing going (yea I’m nervous we won’t get to 1000)

Reactions: TCB

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
122. The Assistant Coaches

Kevin Dean, Jay Pandolfo and Joe Sacco

After game 3 in Carolina Re: Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak

“[Assistant coaches] Jay [Pandolfo] and Joe [Sacco] will usually sit them down and go through some shifts with them when they look out of sync. Because they have such good chemistry that’s usually when we know that they have to dial it back in. So they sat down [Wednesday] before practice and they kind of sorted through some of the stuff. They’ve generally bounced back after — I don’t know if you want to call them tutorials because I don’t know if we’re teaching them because they’re three elite players. It’s just more reminding them of what made them successful.”

3 takeaways from the Bruins’ sweep of the Hurricanes | Boston.com

On Pandolfo

Cassidy also pointed to assistant coach Jay Pandolfo's focus on increasing "rebound chances". They have spent added time coaching the Bruins up to get more of those and allow less. The Bruins have enjoyed more time and opportunities in the slot than last spring, and the difference is stark.
"That’s going back to Jay, because he was harping on that, the rebound chances. Because that means you’re getting inside. I guess that’s the term, right? Getting inside," Cassidy continued. "We had trouble last year with Tampa. This year we’ve been better. I thought we did a good job against Carolina keeping them to the outside ... I do believe it’s one of the reasons we didn’t give up a ton of goals."

Bruins' focus on winning the 'slot battle' has driven their Cup Final run

cut.jpg

joe-sacco.jpg

assistant-coach-jay-pandolfo-of-the-boston-bruins-uses-an-ipad-during-picture-id672225664

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
122. The Assistant Coaches

Kevin Dean, Jay Pandolfo and Joe Sacco

After game 3 in Carolina Re: Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak

“[Assistant coaches] Jay [Pandolfo] and Joe [Sacco] will usually sit them down and go through some shifts with them when they look out of sync. Because they have such good chemistry that’s usually when we know that they have to dial it back in. So they sat down [Wednesday] before practice and they kind of sorted through some of the stuff. They’ve generally bounced back after — I don’t know if you want to call them tutorials because I don’t know if we’re teaching them because they’re three elite players. It’s just more reminding them of what made them successful.”

3 takeaways from the Bruins’ sweep of the Hurricanes | Boston.com

On Pandolfo

Cassidy also pointed to assistant coach Jay Pandolfo's focus on increasing "rebound chances". They have spent added time coaching the Bruins up to get more of those and allow less. The Bruins have enjoyed more time and opportunities in the slot than last spring, and the difference is stark.
"That’s going back to Jay, because he was harping on that, the rebound chances. Because that means you’re getting inside. I guess that’s the term, right? Getting inside," Cassidy continued. "We had trouble last year with Tampa. This year we’ve been better. I thought we did a good job against Carolina keeping them to the outside ... I do believe it’s one of the reasons we didn’t give up a ton of goals."

Bruins' focus on winning the 'slot battle' has driven their Cup Final run

cut.jpg

joe-sacco.jpg

assistant-coach-jay-pandolfo-of-the-boston-bruins-uses-an-ipad-during-picture-id672225664
I love Pandolfo's deadpan interviews in between periods.

While as a fan, I find it hilarious he can be so void of emotion in the midst of battle, I bet the players find it reassuring that no matter what may go awry on the ice, the coaches won't be on the bench freaking out.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I love Pandolfo's deadpan interviews in between periods.

While as a fan, I find it hilarious he can be so void of emotion in the midst of battle, I bet the players find it reassuring that no matter what may go awry on the ice, the coaches won't be on the bench freaking out.
I tried to work this into one of the gdt's but it just didn't work.

It reads just how he looks on the broadcast

full

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
123. Nazem Kadri

For being a total @$$ clown and a non playoff factor for two years in a row

tumblr_pq1zjk7DzY1vbtfo3o3_400.gif
tumblr_pptq6cs1pp1w4diwfo1_500.gif

tumblr_pmw3wySRjr1t4xpmlo1_500.gif
tumblr_pm0rpgFysy1wt6vwk_400.gif
He completely let his emotions get the best of him, and rather than focusing on winning the game, he was head-hunting.

That simply can't happen at this level.

The Leafs series was extremely tight, and had he not been suspended, the outcome could've been different.

It has to be even more frustrating for Leafs fans this year, as they'd likely be in the Final had they gotten past Boston.

Reactions: sooshii and BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
125. Because Bon Jovi's Livin' On a Prayer > John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads.

These two songs have become singalong anthems at Bruins and Blues games respectively.

As a music lover, I love both tunes, but context is everything. If I'm out back boiling crawfish, throwing horseshoes with a pinch of Skoal between my cheek and gum (all of which I've never actually done ;)), I'd crank the John Denver tune.

But in the midst of a playoff hockey game, Livin' On a Prayer's blue collar message of overcoming obstacles and having faith things will work out despite the odds, is much more fitting.

"We gotta hold on to what we've got, it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not."

But I will give St. Louis some credit - Gloria rules!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
126: Our Fearless Mods

Without them, this board would be an unmitigated shite show

They have our back unless we do something absolutely moronic.

@Fenway - His knowledge of hockey, broadcasting, current and past events and more is second to none. Words can not accurately convey how amazing he is and what he has done not just for the board but for me personally.

@Gee Wally - The OG. Simply the best. Between he and Fenway, they know someone for everything. Thank you for all you do. Most of all, thank you for going to bed during the playoffs. We love you to the moon and back.

@TP - If he weren’t scared every game I’d be so very worried. He’s there to push the envelope a bit while keeping us in line in the GDT’s.

@Emerz and @smithformeragent When you post, people listen. Thank You!

@Mr. Make-Believe I am so very sorry I missed you. Please forgive me! <3 Thank You for all you do!

I hope I didn’t forget anyone else! I’m sorry if I did!

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
View attachment 230181 120. Routine

Scheduling a scrimmage tomorrow - at night - with refs, etc. reinforces the routine. There’s been a lot of talk around routine in the past week, and I picked out some pertinent quotes.

The Athletic feature, with Krug breaking down every movement of a pre-game skate is fascinating. Check it out if you subscribe—excerpts below after the —

I don’t even talk to the guy [Rask] right now,” defenseman Torey Krug said. “I’ll try to ignore him. I’m sure he’s ignoring me. From Day 1 in the playoffs he’s been in a routine, he’s had that look in his eye. I’m sure most guys fall into that category, just kind of tip-toeing around him and stay out of the way of his routine.”

Marchand: “...this time around I think I’m more appreciative of being here and at the same time a lot more calm, I guess, in a way. End of the day, it’s hockey, we’ve done it a million times, so we’re just going to go and try to do what we’ve done all year, be in a good place. It’s fun, it’s exciting and we may never be back here again, so got to enjoy it.”

Krug on pregame warmup (from The Athletic - so much fun detail)
“It’s a checklist to see if I’m mentally prepared to go,” Bruins defenseman Torey Krug said. “I’m not a guy where if I mess up part of the routine — I don’t freak out. Every game you might not physically be feeling it, or you might not have your hands, you might not have the energy in your legs, but for me with the way I play, I at least have to have my brain. (Warmups) is just a mental checklist to make sure I’m prepared and I can feel comfortable going into the first shift that I’m ready to go.”

During the course of an 82-game season, players will be in and out of the lineup, so sometimes the pregame warmup can become a bit disjointed, but all players do their part to keep it in sync and help one another maintain their routines. For example: Part of Krug’s routine is to pass a puck with teammate Zdeno Chara. Well, the captain was out of the lineup for Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final against the Carolina Hurricanes, so Brad Marchand stepped in to help Krug.

Once the players are dressed and ready to take the ice, the Bruins line up in a particular order in the hallway outside the locker room. Once the players reach the bench and sprint onto the ice, warmups officially begin as a pyramid of pucks on the dasher are toppled by Patrice Bergeron.

“Bergy knocks them off, Marchy knocks a bunch off and he leaves one for me,” Krug said. “And I try to make sure I score a goal on that first shot just to set the tone for the rest of the warmup and eventually the game.”

We skate around a bit and that leads into me and Bergy cycling in the corner, so I shoot a few pucks and when the time comes, Bergy grabs a puck and he bounces it off the boards. I bounce it back. He bounces it again. I pass it to him and he flips it up in the air and I just try to come I up with a fun, creative way of setting for him. He scores and I backwards skate all the way around and slide to Pasta. I give Bergy a couple of taps (on the backside) and then spin to Pasta and we do our hand spin.
I read that whole article. I knew they had routines but that is nuts! lol

Reactions: sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
131. Superstitions

Whether you’re superstitious or only a little stitious, we all have our rituals that have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game, but at this point, who’s taking any chances???

Bruins are growing playoff beards (some with better result than others) and aren’t touching the Prince of Wales trophy. Brad Marchand may or may not be sacrificing sticks other than Cam Atkinson’s.

@RedeyeRocketeer has his lucky socks
@TP is scared
@Kate08 & @Alicat get their playoff mani-pedis
@Ladyfan thinks “maybe”

Since G6 in Toronto I have:
  • Flown the Believe in Boston flag.
  • Had my game day morning coffee in my lucky Bruins mug - circa 1983.
  • Done 33 pull-ups at the pool. (It’s easy in the water) :DD
  • Worn my Keep Calm & Bergeron shirt for games.

My record during that time is 10-2, I think I didn’t make it to the pool for one of those losses so... that won’t happen again.

“The difference between winning and losing is so razor thin. If you don’t have a good room, and you’re not all 100% locked-in and willing to do literally anything to win, you are not gonna win.”
-Brad Marchand​

09F54E91-B911-499F-9813-CEA3726041DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad