Post-Game Talk: 10 Straight Wins For Campbell | Leafs 3 Canadiens 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's why they've been winning. These guys are willing to go through a wall for each other, and that's what championship teams are made of.
I don't get the soft stuff either. No they won't physically punish you, but their work ethic makes them tough to play against.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
Since the Oilers series and the Leafs rough spell began, they are now 9-6-1. That’s a point percentage of .594.

Pretty damn good considering how bad it was looking a couple weeks ago.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Honestly the 2nd wasn't as bad as it seemed. Habs were clearly the better team, and scoring chances and shots show that, but they only had 1 HD while we had 2 HD. The 1st and 3rd weren't even close though. We took it to them. Habs only had 5 HD all game.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That's why they've been winning. These guys are willing to go through a wall for each other, and that's what championship teams are made of.

Dubas did well with the additions in this regard. The leadership of Joe, Simmonds, Bogo and the steady pedigree of Brodie makes a world of difference to a team that lacked some of the confidence and swagger that championship teams have.

They are on a mission and they should be. Nothing is more fun than winning with people you like to be around. Galchenyuk is an example of a prudent acquisition as he fits in perfectly with his hard work ethic on both ends of the ice and his skillset. Players notice this. They appreciate it and they are inspired by it. It's a wonderful attitude to have.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
One of the best parts of this game is watching the Habs chickens come home to roost - Weber is fading fast and still has 5 years left, Price is 4 years removed from a .920 save percentage and 2 years removed from a .910 with ongoing injuries, their young talent is fine but not core player calibre.

Like how much is riding on Caulfield being an absolute star for them?

Reactions: Auston 316

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Anybody have the exchange from Tavares and Danault? I’m curious what Tavares was hurt by and why he went off

The replay wasn't really in frame completely, but it looked like he either tripped him or pushed him down awkwardly after the faceoff. Then coming up the ice Tavares turned back and kind of crosschecked him then they went face to face and Tavares was fired up on the bench yelling at him. Good to see JT with some fire like that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Funny thing is our play was actually pretty decent in that stretch aside from 2 games. We just couldn't get a save.

Yup.

2nd highest overall xGF% in the NHL since that series including the 2nd lowest expected goals against. Toronto probably the best team in the NHL during the last month not named the Avalanche except for one area.....

Team save % was 21st over the same stretch with Andersen posting an .862 save% and Campbell a .941 with almost identical workloads. Hutch also struggled with an .886 save %

Reactions: Menzinger

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
Even on Perry's second goal Campbell made an incredible pad save. His attitude/demeaner reminds me of Reimer, just a dude you totally want to root for. I think we have our next starter for the next 3 - 4 years at least. Campbell is a late bloomer and an absolute stud.

Reactions: Leaftors

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Funny thing is our play was actually pretty decent in that stretch aside from 2 games. We just couldn't get a save.

100%. We were the better team in the majority of those games.

That is why it's so crucial that Dubas acquires more depth in goal for insurance. This team is too good to risk having one injury derail our season.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Damn we’re a good team this year. Even when Montreal had their best stretches, it was still a lopsided game.

Love how many games were winning by one goal, and holding the lead. That’s what we need for playoff hockey.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's not like he came outta nowhere, just never got a chance really.

Top 10 keepers since start of 2018 season(3000 minimum played):

1. Bishop: .927
2. Lehner: .924
2. Kuemper: .924
4. Vasilevskiy: .923
5. Khudobin: .922
6. Campbell: .921
7. Halak: .919
7. Rask: .919
7. Grubauer: .919
10. Saros: .918

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
100%. We were the better team in the majority of those games.

That is why it's so crucial that Dubas acquires more depth in goal for insurance. This team is too good to risk having one injury derail our season.

One goalie, one depth 7th D man who has decent minutes in the league. Just a low salary defenseman who can come in and hold the fort if needed. I prefer that to any D who haven't played in the NHL this year, or very little. It might cost a 3rd rounder.

I assume he is working primarily on a forward or two. Depending on what if any he is subtracting, he could find some important pieces for a playoff run in just over a month.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I’d like to see some of the regulars start getting rest
Give young guys periodic opportunities to play
Specially on back to backs
Old vets should not be playing any back to backs specially
we’ll likely see more of this happen after the trade deadline passes.

team is just saving as much cap space as possible right now

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's not like he came outta nowhere, just never got a chance really.

Top 10 keepers since start of 2018 season(3000 minimum played):

1. Bishop: .927
2. Lehner: .924
2. Kuemper: .924
4. Vasilevskiy: .923
5. Khudobin: .922
6. Campbell: .921
7. Halak: .919
7. Rask: .919
7. Grubauer: .919
10. Saros: .918

It was odd. When he first joined the team and I saw him first couple of games, I was already quite happy with his sound, technical play. He kept it simple, with a D core slightly less than the one we have now.

When that isn't working, he then throws the Hail Mary arm leg or stick out. Most of the time, it's a quiet game and he and the defense get it done together.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmma and Zybalto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad