Post-Game Talk: 10 Straight Wins For Campbell | Leafs 3 Canadiens 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
In prior years even though the Leafs teams were competitive playoff clubs, the group culture seemed off. Speculating obviously, but from what i've heard/seen on the outside looking in it seemed like there were disjointed cliques on the team and polarizing/controversial personalities (Kapanen, Barrie, etc.).

This group seems incredibly close. Make no mistake the veteran adds have taken over the room. Perennial cup contenders like Boston have this family-like cohesiveness and its a huge reason why they go to war for each other. The bubble environment might be a huge reason for that change.

Have to admit I was not fond of the Galchenyuk deal at all. Always been higher on Korshkov than most and still believe he has mainstay bottom 6 NHL potential, but Gally has looked like a completely different player than in MIN/OTT/etc. where he looked waiver fodder. He's made fundamental skating changes in a short period of time and looks like he's fighting for his career on a nightly basis. Huge add to the 2nd line and unreal playoff depth.

great assessment . I too feel like the team atmosphere has changed. This is most likely related to the leadership, veteran presence, coaching, respect shared between the coach and players, and management setting a vision which the players are buying into and are committed to achieving. It’s a team effort and the pieces are coming together to benefit the whole.

Lou Lamoriello said it’s not about the name on the back but the crest on the front and they seem to be taking this to heart among other things

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I read that, but it’s based on averages. On average, people becomes symptomatic 5-6 days after exposure, and are contagious for ~2-3 days before becoming symptomatic. However, that’s just averages, the incubation period is 1-14 days. If you’re a 1-day-to-symptomatic case, you’re contagious within hours of initial exposure.

All they can really say is, if Willie got COVID, he probably wasn’t contagious yet this morning ... but he very well could have been. They’re crossing their fingers and gambling.

The person he interacted with wasn't even confirmed to actually be sick, you can't shut down the league every time someone interacts with someone else who might potentially be sick. If we take it to that level of paranoia, there shouldn't be a season at all as it isn't an essential service.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
In prior years even though the Leafs teams were competitive playoff clubs, the group culture seemed off. Speculating obviously, but from what i've heard/seen on the outside looking in it seemed like there were disjointed cliques on the team and polarizing/controversial personalities (Kapanen, Barrie, etc.).

This group seems incredibly close. Make no mistake the veteran adds have taken over the room. Perennial cup contenders like Boston have this family-like cohesiveness and its a huge reason why they go to war for each other. The bubble environment might be a huge reason for that change.

Have to admit I was not fond of the Galchenyuk deal at all. Always been higher on Korshkov than most and still believe he has mainstay bottom 6 NHL potential, but Gally has looked like a completely different player than in MIN/OTT/etc. where he looked waiver fodder. He's made fundamental skating changes in a short period of time and looks like he's fighting for his career on a nightly basis. Huge add to the 2nd line and unreal playoff depth.

Korshkov did put up 9 points in 11 playoff games, but if we get Okulov in the summer, I doubt anyone cares too much.

Immediate scoring threat in our top 9 and the Leafs wanted him last year.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That Hyman goal and the rush leading up to it was something out of the movies. This Leaf team looks dangerous. Thankful to be able to say we were on the good end of the hot goalie factoring in.
That was impressive.

I started watching the NHL in 1966, and I don't think I've ever seen a line rush like that before.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Johnny Bower, Terry Sawchuk, Turk Broda, Jack Campbell

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle ... Costanza?

Disclaimer - not a shot at Campbell at all, it's just that when I read your post, that line from Seinfeld immediately came to mind and I just couldn't help myself. What an amazing show that was!

Great 3rd period last night, nice win. And Campbell played great. And nice to wake up, look at the standings and see the Maple Leafs at #1 in the overall standings. The realist in me knows that there are 8 teams really tightly packed at the top and we could easily be in 8th place a week from now but ... we're in 1st place today and that's cool. It doesn't mean much, it's playoff success that most of us really want but it's at least a sign that there's a good chance that this is the year where we finally win a round, and maybe more rounds after that. GLG!!

edit - oops, we're 3rd, not 1st, damnit. More coffee LOL.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Simmons: Hi Jack, what was going on with that thing with Marner after the game?
Jack: Oh he was just telling me I should have had that first goal.

Think I laughed for the first time in a post-game presser.

Reactions: Rocker13

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Obviously anything can happen, but I’m willing to bet Montreal’s strong 5v5 goal differential might have something to do with them not playing us much this year...

The have a high xGF%, but I really don’t think they have the shooting talent to even keep up with it.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
good win, this team has been a very solid 3rd period team this year with the exception of maybe 2 games. Finding ways to take a tie game by the balls or just holding on to the lead. Soup is getting better each game, Gally and JT were all over the puck, AM was AM. survived the 2nd and took over in the 3rd when it counts. I will say after watching that game that MTL might be a bit of a handful for this leaf team in the playoffs. They aren't nearly as good as the preseason predictors, but I also don't think they are as bad as their record indicates. They showed at times that they can play a very structured yet aggressive style that was hard for the boys to handle. The Leafs are still the better team by a decent margin. I think the key difference between the 2 clubs is the star power up front. If Corey Perry is our biggest worry, we should be more than ok. But if they manage to get every guy tugging the rope at the same time, as we have seen in the past with CBJ, anything can happen in a 7 game series. We will have to be ready against any team, but especially the Habs should we play them.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
good win, this team has been a very solid 3rd period team this year with the exception of maybe 2 games. Finding ways to take a tie game by the balls or just holding on to the lead. Soup is getting better each game, Gally and JT were all over the puck, AM was AM. survived the 2nd and took over in the 3rd when it counts. I will say after watching that game that MTL might be a bit of a handful for this leaf team in the playoffs. They aren't nearly as good as the preseason predictors, but I also don't think they are as bad as their record indicates. They showed at times that they can play a very structured yet aggressive style that was hard for the boys to handle. The Leafs are still the better team by a decent margin. I think the key difference between the 2 clubs is the star power up front. If Corey Perry is our biggest worry, we should be more than ok. But if they manage to get every guy tugging the rope at the same time, as we have seen in the past with CBJ, anything can happen in a 7 game series. We will have to be ready against any team, but especially the Habs should we play them.

I fully agree that MTL could be a tough playoff opponent. We should be the favourites but favourites don't always win and getting cocky and taking them for granted would be a huge mistake.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 10.04.44 AM.png

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Ya its very strange, The second was definitely MTL's best period and Naturalstatrick still had us taking the majority share of HDCF%

I don't recall there being a great deal of high quality chances in the second for MTL, but I do recall good possession. Lots of that possession was kept to the outsides, and almost looked as if we just gave them the time and space to f*** around with the puck on the wall. There were definitely some good shots through traffic where Jack had to be sharp, but he seems to locate pucks through body's way better than Fred. Good on them for not getting impatient and cheating off their assignment. Came out like a bull in the the 3rd and took the 2

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya its very strange, The second was definitely MTL's best period and Naturalstatrick still had us taking the majority share of HDCF%

I don't recall there being a great deal of high quality chances in the second for MTL, but I do recall good possession. Lots of that possession was kept to the outsides, and almost looked as if we just gave them the time and space to f*** around with the puck on the wall. There were definitely some good shots through traffic where Jack had to be sharp, but he seems to locate pucks through body's way better than Fred. Good on them for not getting impatient and cheating off their assignment. Came out like a bull in the the 3rd and took the 2

That was awesome to watch. I did something I rarely do - had a peek at the MTL GDT and saw someone say we got a lucky goal there. I felt like saying yeah, we're so lucky that we came out in the 3rd and played you guys into the ground, thoroughly dominating you for several minutes until finally, inevitably the puck went in the net.

Lucky my ass. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Campbell is looking more and more like the starter for the rest of the season regardless if Andersen comes back. You play the hot hand, and the entire team seems to be rallying behind Campbell. We have seen something like this numerous times where an injury or bad play has cause a switch to backup which in turn became a long playoff run.

Something special is brewing in Toronto with Campbell I feel it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs back to #1 in the League spot again for a day. It’s pretty clear now at the 40 game mark this is a contender based off of the team defensive play we have seen consistently.
I wouldn’t be over confident playing any team in the playoffs but i would be pretty much holding high expectations they can win the North division.
We are the best team in the North right now.

Reactions: justloveleafs

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
That was awesome to watch. I did something I rarely do - had a peek at the MTL GDT and saw someone say we got a lucky goal there. I felt like saying yeah, we're so lucky that we came out in the 3rd and played you guys into the ground, thoroughly dominating you for several minutes until finally, inevitably the puck went in the net.

Lucky my ass. :laugh::laugh:
ya you make your own luck in cases like that. Put the puck towards the net, and go to the dangerous areas. That's not luck at all. Its a bounce that went in our favour because we were outworking MTL at that point in the game. Plain and simple. And at the end of the day, They don't ask how, they ask how many

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad