GDT: #10|New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins|October 25 |Horrible Bosses| F/W 4-3

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Nabokov... so mediocre.

Bailey and Tavares should be given a long look.

I agreed with everything in your post except these.

First on Nabokov, I actually DO agree that he is mediocre, but he played really well tonight. kept the Islanders in it, and if he doesn't make all those saves the Islanders are never in this game (and they never deserved to be).

The Bailey with Tavares thing is a popular concept on these boards. I get it, I think. But count me as a guy who NEVER wants to see Bailey and Nielsen broken up. Put Grabner on the left of them or Okposo to the Right of them (I prefer Grabner) and they can go toe to toe with any line out there, play great D and outscore most lines.

Bailey and Nielsen HAVE chemistry that is likely unmatched by even the most wildly optimistic of dreams that have Tavares and Bailey together.

Sorry but it's true.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I agreed with everything in your post except these.

First on Nabokov, I actually DO agree that he is mediocre, but he played really well tonight. kept the Islanders in it, and if he doesn't make all those saves the Islanders are never in this game (and they never deserved to be).

The Bailey with Tavares thing is a popular concept on these boards. I get it, I think. But count me as a guy who NEVER wants to see Bailey and Nielsen broken up. Put Grabner on the left of them or Okposo to the Right of them (I prefer Grabner) and they can go toe to toe with any line out there, play great D and outscore most lines.

Bailey and Nielsen HAVE chemistry that is likely unmatched by even the most wildly optimistic of dreams that have Tavares and Bailey together.

Sorry but it's true.

So let them produce the pudding for all of us to see. We already have a bad goaltending situation, a pretty screwed up defense, and no true compliment for Tavares and it doesn't make anyone in the org lose a night's sleep. A small experiment up front can't hurt much more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Looks like the doom and gloom earlier in the thread was misplaced. ;)

Kidding.

Congrats on the win. Regardless of whatever record at the time, the Isles seem to play the Pens tough since the playoff last season.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Looks like the doom and gloom earlier in the thread was misplaced. ;)

Kidding.

Congrats on the win. Regardless of whatever record at the time, the Isles seem to play the Pens tough since the playoff last season.

You didn't lie. Your backup looked really shaky. When was the last time he played or was this his first game in the NHL? Butterflies could explain it if it was...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You didn't lie. Your backup looked really shaky. When was the last time he played or was this his first game in the NHL? Butterflies could explain it if it was...

His only other NHL start was a 6-3 loss to a brutal Florida team earlier in the season (at the time, it was the Pens' only loss after a 5-0 or 6-0 start). It may very well be nerves ... or he might just not be an NHL goalie. 2 games might be too early to tell, but on the other hand, he hasn't shown anything in those 2 games that suggest he *is* a solid NHL goalie.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

We only played good for 8 minutes and still managed to win haha. I would have been veryyyyy happy with just a point in this one considering how they were outplayed most the game.

I'd like to see more out of JT. But honestly, the only way we see that is if he works less.

The guy works like a dog. Always first guy in on forecheck, and first guy in on back check. Battling in corners and slugging it out in the trenches...he shouldn't be doing that stuff as often as he does. You can tell that the guy already puts A TON of pressure on himself...he doesn't need to do that type of stuff as often as he does. I'd love to see him play a little more loose.

Look at Crosby. He's got 2 soldiers on his line who fight tooth and nail to get him the puck. No reason why Tavares wouldn't succeed if he had the same type of talented warriors next to him.

I hope we get to see a bit more of KO and Clutterbuck on his line. Could be exactly what he needs

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ugh. I have to watch the Pens feed tonight, but it's the game featured on my CI HD channel. I'll take whatever I can get.

They might be the worst announcers in the NHL (definitely in our old division).

Are there Islander commercials during Knick games?

Great point. I hate hear, "BANG!", every commercial break. I'd rather hear, "Tavares shoots and SCOOOOOOOOOOOORES!"

Nabby has been having rebound issues this year....

And every other year.

I love it when Hammer batters Malkin.

It's extremely enjoyable, isn't it?

They are, but everyones blaming Nabby. He's not the only one to blame there.

He's consistently terrible at it, so he gets most of the blame.

Donovan hanging with Crosby.

Making Cappy look dumber by the shift for sitting him at all

Until Donovan costs us 2 :(

Rookie mistakes though, no biggie.

Once again Nabby lets in an easy wrister. Goal is not his fault, but he needs to bail out the team for once.

Yeah, he never bails them out during crucial moments and it's quite depressing.

Will Nabby ever make a big save??

Has he ever? History says no.

It was Carkner. Don't listen to Butch.

Big mistake listening to Butch about pretty much anything, except the dynasty days.

Reading Thompson's lips to Donovan...

You ****ed Up!

And he did. I'm glad he was ripped for it by the staff. Now I hope they don't sit him and let him redeem himself tomorrow.

Martinek - 2 Assists tonight.

Why didn't we sign a guy who would have had 3 assists?! Martinek is so awful.

I am not ready for Foxwoods Final Five.

It's in every one of my nightmares.

Does Capuano use like a bingo caller machine for the lines?

:nod:

Bailey

4-3

Does anyone know for sure whether or not that was Bailey's stick? I'm pretty sure that stick was longer than his by a large margin and he looked very uncomfortable handling the puck entering the zone.

Nielson should have shot that but I will take it

You're absolutely correct.

Great comeback win! I'll take the 2 points any day. Hickey is growing on me a bit, and Martinek looks pretty good out there. Donovan is absolutely brutal defensively, I don't see him playing in a top 4 role until he improves significantly. Carkner is just terrible.

Donovan is a rookie going through growing pains versus one of the best teams in the NHL. I'll cut him some slack. He needs to be given more time (he's been solid in other games).

What a truly unbelievable win. Nabby played sharp as hell and our offense looked straight flat for a good portion of the game..not to mention the amount of penalties we took. All I gotta say is Donovan got bailed the **** out today

Nabby was okay, and he still let in a bunch (and another softie). That's really my biggest issue with him. You're guaranteed at least one soft one a night, and in games similar to this, it can really snowball. It's really frustrating to watch.

Glad Donovan got bailed out, don't want a loss hanging on his head.

Nielsen has been outplaying Tavares this season no matter who's on his line(knock on wood). I can't be the only one who think so am I?

I wouldn't say that, but I'd say he's pretty close.

Donovan had a bad game, but if you bench him now, whatever confidence he has will be lost. Rookie mistakes, they have to roll with it. Hickey is growing on me, he's a battler out there. Also, we always seem to play better defensively when Martinek is out there, PLUS he had 2 assists. Only ONE bad goal on Nabby tonight, played great, 39 saves !

Martinek isn't a stupid player, he's just always been injury prone. And I agree with your Donovan point 100%

Hamonic is definitely in Malkin's head and I love it.

Malkin can't play versus us because of it, and it's really fantastic. I don't remember hearing his name at all tonight.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Great job tonight guys. As a Kings fan, I always look at Hickey. Always wished we had room. Do you guys figure he can replace some of what Visnovsky did (small, similar skill sets),due to his injury and to what degree? Good luck guys.

I am not sure I see Hickey on the PP like Vis. His shot just does not generate a lot of rebounds and he could stand to get stronger on the puck. Would not be surprised if they try someone like Martinek or Hamonic as the lone D-man on the first PP unit but overall I think he has more upside on the defensive end

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
martinek deserves to be in the islanders hall of fame. i know that statement sounds ridiculous, but the dude has been a ****ing trooper for us for close to a decade. i'm always happy to see him in an islanders uniform.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
martinek deserves to be in the islanders hall of fame. i know that statement sounds ridiculous, but the dude has been a ****ing trooper for us for close to a decade. i'm always happy to see him in an islanders uniform.

Just yes. That's all there is to say

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

The fan hall of fame perhaps.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Tonight, the Islanders were a resilient bunch. Tonight, the Islanders proved they can be a productive, 3rd period team; even without their stars in Grabner and Visnovsky. It's a new feeling in the Islanders organization. These players know it, the staff knows it, and the fans have witnessed it as they see these "draft picks" begin to mature. Great game by Nielson; he deserves a lot of credit for producing 14 points in 10 games. Tavares has been doing his part by distracting the opposition as well as being 10th in scoring. The Isles are refusing to let their losing habits overcome them. It's progress.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Pittsburgh's a great team but we've proven we are capable of beating them time and again. They can beat us, don't get me wrong, but we can beat them.

i feel like sometimes its good to get the best team in east in a common viewpoint (and beat them)....a team we will likely see in the next 5-7 years if we sniff the Metro Championship (in the new format)

i really do feel like the boys think we can beat them on any given night now

many of our limitations still exist but our core is good:

nielsen won't continue this pace but even if he can get 60 points and continue his great defense, that is noteworthy

bailey would have never made that play before this year

okposo is good to okay but a useful player in all situations

give me a goalie and a top 4 d (and I'm being greedy. but i think if we really wanna win the cup we need another top winger) and we are legit

tonight was so fun!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Tonight, the Islanders were a resilient bunch. Tonight, the Islanders proved they can be a productive, 3rd period team; even without their stars in Grabner and Visnovsky. It's a new feeling in the Islanders organization. These players know it, the staff knows it, and the fans have witnessed it as they see these "draft picks" begin to mature. Great game by Nielson; he deserves a lot of credit for producing 14 points in 10 games. Tavares has been doing his part by distracting the opposition as well as being 10th in scoring. The Isles are refusing to let their losing habits overcome them. It's progress.

Not to dampen your spirits, but how much do you think a crappy goaltender had to do with Pittsburgh losing tonight?

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
Not to dampen your spirits, but how much do you think a crappy goaltender had to do with Pittsburgh losing tonight?

Crappy goaltending? Zatkoff looked like a stud through the first two periods, and he got very little help defensively on most of the goals. I'm not saying this is sparta, but the Islanders showed something they haven't shown in a while, and that's the will to win.:yo:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Crappy goaltending? Zatkoff looked like a stud through the first two periods, and he got very little help defensively on most of the goals. I'm not saying this is sparta, but the Islanders showed something they haven't shown in a while, and that's the will to win.:yo:

Zatkoff let in 4 goals on 25 shots, two of which an average goaltender would have stopped with any amount of discipline.

I'll give you this though, they did take the opportunity Pittsburgh afforded them which is good news.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
I don't think he looked like a stud.... But the Islanders have a habit of breaking down the Pens D and scoring some nice goals. Only goal was the Bailey goal, but if Frans netted that I wouldn't blame Zatkoff at all. Islanders finally capitalized on their chances for once and Nabby played a rare gem of a game.

Everything just came together for the Isles tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad