GDT: #10: FLYERS at Bruins, Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You have to take a lot of the league’s stats with a grain of salt. Giveaways & takeaways are a perfect example of a stat that is very inaccurate.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Think back to Haag a few days ago being asked about PK. He seemed frustrated and said they are busting their ass. You can tell they are frustrated with whatever they are being told to do.

At this point, I am sure they know they have a piss-poor coaching staff. Has to suck knowing that the only way to get ice time is to do the wrong thing.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I remember there could be multiple missing giveaways in Carle's stat line.
Happens all the time.

Ghost is credited with only 5 giveaways in 10 games. That’s preposterous. Hell, he’s had multiple games with 3, & I’m not sure he’s had a single game without causing an odd man break.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Happens all the time.

Ghost is credited with only 5 giveaways in 10 games. That’s preposterous. Hell, he’s had multiple games with 3, & I’m not sure he’s had a single game without causing an odd man break.

At this point I actually ignore the NHL giveaway state more than I do hits. I can get hits being subjective, but giveaways are way more objective. With all the emphasis on possession you'd think they'd get a stat tracking lost possession down.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Lappy has seniority. I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

if Hextall drops the hammer on the moronic coach they will likely fill the position internally. I would be 100 percent behind the whole staff getting pink slips and bringing in a guy with his guys. But that is very unlikely to happen. I am not down on Gordon as some are. Doesnt his team play a north/south game where they push the pace? I would be pretty luke warm at best on Lappy coaching this team.
there seems to be about 4 or 5 guys on the hotseat early this season. Unlike last year where no coaches were fired until after the season

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
they were good on opening night and the NJ game. other than that, yeah a whole lot of meh at best.
we will see how they respond tomorrow but I am not holding my breath on anything positive

Vegas controlled the pace of that game, and we just got a little lucky. The NJ game was a little better, but I came out of that game thinking, wow NJ sucks, and not the that the Flyers played well.

Both were mediocre at best performances.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
At this point I actually ignore the NHL giveaway state more than I do hits. I can get hits being subjective, but giveaways are way more objective. With all the emphasis on possession you'd think they'd get a stat tracking lost possession down.

If you want a good laugh, sort the last few years by Giveaways. St Louis has something like 1/3rd of the amount San Jose does.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vegas controlled the pace of that game, and we just got a little lucky. The NJ game was a little better, but I came out of that game thinking, wow NJ sucks, and not the that the Flyers played well.

Both were mediocre at best performances.

Yes, but I was told NJ has a better GM and better coach than we do.

Hextall isn't going to make any moves quite yet, Flyers win 3 of 4 and they're a playoff team.
We're only 2 points behind the Caps and CBJ and 3 points behind Carolina.
And does anyone really expect Montreal and Buffalo to be a playoff team this year?

If Neuvirth can stay healthy until Lyon is ready . . .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
if Hextall drops the hammer on the moronic coach they will likely fill the position internally. I would be 100 percent behind the whole staff getting pink slips and bringing in a guy with his guys. But that is very unlikely to happen. I am not down on Gordon as some are. Doesnt his team play a north/south game where they push the pace? I would be pretty luke warm at best on Lappy coaching this team.
there seems to be about 4 or 5 guys on the hotseat early this season. Unlike last year where no coaches were fired until after the season

That is super f***ing generous. The guy has no business being an assistant let along a head coach.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I wonder if Hextall is in a holding pattern to see what happens to Stevens or, alternatively, if Stevens becoming available would move Hextall's thinking on Hakstol.
We tried Stevens and it didn't work. Check the reports out of LA and it's the same as it was here. No need to do a repeat with him.
Probably the Flyers would go with Knoblach as an interim coach. If Sutter would take the job, I'd rather that he get the job; he'd be a great hire. If not him, then Dineen.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I wonder if Hextall is in a holding pattern to see what happens to Stevens or, alternatively, if Stevens becoming available would move Hextall's thinking on Hakstol.
God I hope not. Cake Baker, Berube, Barber, Cashman.... those are my 4 most disliked Flyers coaches in recent history.

I know Hextall dislikes emotional coaches, but there’s a happy medium.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Probably not. I mean we all know they’re going to turn it around to some degree soon. You’re not going to have the whole team essentially playing poorly all at the same time like this. That’s what Hextall is waiting for, more reason to burry his head in the sand with the mediocrity going on.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, after seeing Giroux get manhandled in the playoffs, then our 1st line get taken to the cleaners by the NJ and AVS 1st lines.
With Couts hobbled, they're no match for the top lines around the league, but even with him healthy, there's a speed deficit.
This is why we need for Patrick to step up and Frost to make the team next year.

You don't need a roster full of speed guys, but you need more than we have (especially those who play well with others), same way you don't need a lot of slot scorers, but you do need more than JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad