GDT: #10: FLYERS at Bruins, Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
View attachment 149771 Our new first line , I like ClaraBelle as a center, Bob on left wing and Howdy shooting a bomb hopefully the marinette strings don't get in the way.

View attachment 149773 Captain can really clear the crease and Mr Greenjeans.......if can dig the puck out of the corner as well as he can dig potatoes out of the ground, he will be just fine......

View attachment 149775 Chief Halftown......goalie par excellent. If gets scored on, sitting on top of crossbar is a tomahawk, Magua's weapon of choice as well. Go in the crease, get your head chopped off.....

View attachment 149777

My beloved Sally Starr........as Head Coach........hey MacDonald......what am I holding in my hand?
Make one more mistake and you'll get a bullet up your ass.....

View attachment 149779

Our new GM.....Dick Clark....I give it an 8, boy, you can really dance to Chuck Berry's new hit at No.3.
Sweet Little Sixteen.........

View attachment 149783

Good night everyone........
lol my cousin was married to chief halftown's son jeff they had a daughter named steffany. jeff was a great guy.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
The constant back to the blue line for a limp wristed shot is baffling to no end. I've always had a sneaking suspicion that our beloved flyers always had a soft spot for uncreative hockey, but I didn't want to believe it. I've seen the flyers do the forwards skating down the ice in lanes and never deviating for about 30 years now. Never a drop pass, to create space or lane switching to cause coverage openings...and now, it seems like it's either a blind pass to nobody into the slot or the never ending pass back to the blue line that either results in a soft shot into the opposing team's shin pads or even worse, a turnover that leads to an odd man rush.

Watching Boston tonight, they rarely passed back to the point. Even with defensemen with legit hard shots, they barely do it. They just put the puck back down behind the net and continue to cycle and create opportunities.

The flyers in comparison go the other direction. Every puck once it's in the zone, invariably is sent back to the blue line, where it seems to always turn into a 50-50 situation. It really is almost inverse to what the Bruins do.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
no . all i did was post actual stats. You can interpret them anyway you like , but at the end of the day no opinion was given.

Well, I will chose to interpret these stats through this lens.

1) Coots is off to a slow start.

2) Jtown has had a very clear prerogative about Coots for years

3) Coots is coming off an injury filled off season

4) Coots made Jtown look bad last year

5) Coots will probably recover, Jtown probably won't

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yet another whimper of a loss, punctuated by that travesty of penalties in the last 5 minutes. As always, I'll highlight some pretty good plays I saw, but let it be known that in this game, it was basically every good play I saw. No one played great tonight. In typical fashion, the Bruins dominated us in Boston. Maybe that would have changed with a PPG, but Lord knows we won't see one of those for another few weeks.

Provorov:
Definitely trending upwards
  • The give and go with Konecny was beautiful. Cut from the blueline, wide open behind the D. Just blew by 3 guys in the O zone from the blue line.
  • Defending a 2v2 and not only tied his man up (Pastrnak, I think) but totally took him out of the play. No stick free and ushered him below the goal line.
  • Bank pass to Konecny, one touch to Giroux for the breakaway from the offensive blueline. That kind of quick strike offense is what the better teams in the league are capable of and is a hell of a way to beat a NZ trap
Konecny: I hope he gets a few more games on the top line. He was really flying. Wasn't in the middle of too many scoring chances/pressure but really no Flyer was.

Laughton: More strong PK play and another good 5v5 game
  • Diving clear on the first PK. Then cleared it again from near the goal line. He must have been out there for 15 seconds divided between 2 shifts on that first PK and cleared it both times.
  • Breaking up that Marchand semi breakaway was perhaps the year's best defensive play so far. Closing speed was tremendous
Another game, another scoring chance for AHL regular Travis "Wussy" Sanhiem

This is going to be tough to explain. The play where Pastrnak was left wide open and Elliot actually made a good save- shocking, I know- was on Hagg. Shocking, I know.
  • 3 Bruins in a triangle
    • Bergeron 2 feet to Elliot's 1:00
    • Marchand at Elliot's 11:00 but towards to top of the left circle (but still between the circles)
    • Pastrnak, the puck carrier, vertically even with Bergeron but above the right circle
  • Pastrnak was carrying the puck to Elliot's left, while Marchand and Bergeron were both drifting to Elliot's right, both marked well by Provorov and Giroux respectively. Hagg was marking Pastrnak, who took the shot, then Hagg left him, turned around, watched the puck, drifted to where the goal line and crease meet, and now Pastrnak is wide open. I mean, what the f*** was that? How can you let yourself wind up right next to a teammate who is marking someone, and now you're not ANYMORE, implying YOU WERE COVERING SOMEONE, WHICH YOU LEFT. Hagg is bad. He has been better, but he is bad and must be sheltered
AMac failing a 2/10 difficulty clear. Didn't use the boards for some reason > Soft goal. Shocking, I know.

FOMvUN7.png

My old high school team could score on this. Hagg out of position again, forcing Giroux out of the play entirely.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Probably our best game of the season, we lost and got shut out. Amac making up for lost time by costing us the game and then the PK confirms it. Who could have written that eh? Oh right, everyone.

Fire Hakstol. This is the only thing that makes this worthwhile.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Yet another whimper of a loss, punctuated by that travesty of penalties in the last 5 minutes. As always, I'll highlight some pretty good plays I saw, but let it be known that in this game, it was basically every good play I saw. No one played great tonight. In typical fashion, the Bruins dominated us in Boston. Maybe that would have changed with a PPG, but Lord knows we won't see one of those for another few weeks.

Provorov:
Definitely trending upwards
  • The give and go with Konecny was beautiful. Cut from the blueline, wide open behind the D. Just blew by 3 guys in the O zone from the blue line.
  • Defending a 2v2 and not only tied his man up (Pastrnak, I think) but totally took him out of the play. No stick free and ushered him below the goal line.
  • Bank pass to Konecny, one touch to Giroux for the breakaway from the offensive blueline. That kind of quick strike offense is what the better teams in the league are capable of and is a hell of a way to beat a NZ trap
Konecny: I hope he gets a few more games on the top line. He was really flying. Wasn't in the middle of too many scoring chances/pressure but really no Flyer was.

Laughton: More strong PK play and another good 5v5 game
  • Diving clear on the first PK. Then cleared it again from near the goal line. He must have been out there for 15 seconds divided between 2 shifts on that first PK and cleared it both times.
  • Breaking up that Marchand semi breakaway was perhaps the year's best defensive play so far. Closing speed was tremendous
Another game, another scoring chance for AHL regular Travis "Wussy" Sanhiem

This is going to be tough to explain. The play where Pastrnak was left wide open and Elliot actually made a good save- shocking, I know- was on Hagg. Shocking, I know.
  • 3 Bruins in a triangle
    • Bergeron 2 feet to Elliot's 1:00
    • Marchand at Elliot's 11:00 but towards to top of the left circle (but still between the circles)
    • Pastrnak, the puck carrier, vertically even with Bergeron but above the right circle
  • Pastrnak was carrying the puck to Elliot's left, while Marchand and Bergeron were both drifting to Elliot's right, both marked well by Provorov and Giroux respectively. Hagg was marking Pastrnak, who took the shot, then Hagg left him, turned around, watched the puck, drifted to where the goal line and crease meet, and now Pastrnak is wide open. I mean, what the **** was that? How can you let yourself wind up right next to a teammate who is marking someone, and now you're not ANYMORE, implying YOU WERE COVERING SOMEONE, WHICH YOU LEFT. Hagg is bad. He has been better, but he is bad and must be sheltered
AMac failing a 2/10 difficulty clear. Didn't use the boards for some reason > Soft goal. Shocking, I know.

FOMvUN7.png

My old high school team could score on this. Hagg out of position again, forcing Giroux out of the play entirely.

Just remember, defensive positioning is the one thing that MacDonald is allegedly good at.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watching Boston tonight, they rarely passed back to the point. Even with defensemen with legit hard shots, they barely do it. They just put the puck back down behind the net and continue to cycle and create opportunities.

The flyers in comparison go the other direction. Every puck once it's in the zone, invariably is sent back to the blue line, where it seems to always turn into a 50-50 situation. It really is almost inverse to what the Bruins do.

Really? Go look at the heat map of that game.

20182019-20134-5v5.png

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
Really? Go look at the heat map of that game.

20182019-20134-5v5.png

Well, I guess I'm wrong, but it sure looked like it. The Bruins attempts don't match at all what I thought I saw. Everything was down by the goal line. Strange. I didn't watch the 3rd period, so maybe that's where all this happened? Through the first two, I think I saw about 4 shots from the point for the Bruins. They were just crashing the net in the first 2 periods.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
Not sure if anyone has seen this on HockeyViz yet as I'm pretty sure they're for subscribers only, but god damn do I love these:

YYGgJX5.jpg

Hmm. I'm wondering about the accuracy of the placement here. Was Voracek's shot that high above the circle? I thought he was definitely right at or in the circle.

I'm watching the highlights right now () and these are off. The highlight starts with DeBrusk and he's right at the center of the right circle, not at the position marked above. Chara right on the door step is also way off. Here they have him high middle slot and he's actually in the top left of the circle between the line and the dot. Bjork shot also taken in right circle, not from the point as shown above...

Giroux shot is also wrong, he's to the left of the dot in the circle. That's off of position by 15+ feet!

Chara slapper from the point is correct.

Pasternak wrister/snap is correct.

Second Pasternak is off. He's in the middle of the slot, just inside the circle to the right.

I'm going to stop right now, because I've already spent about 10 minutes on this post, but I think we should take these maps with a grain of salt. Their accuracy seems anecdotal at best.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
Lol I didn't really see MacDonald's ridiculous backhand outlet pass turnover. This is like pick up hockey. I wonder if he said "OOPS MY BAD" afterwards.

Yes, Voracek was right at the circle, in fact he was inside it.

These maps are inaccurate.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hmm. I'm wondering about the accuracy of the placement here. Was Voracek's shot that high above the circle? I thought he was definitely right at or in the circle.

I'm watching the highlights right now () and these are off. The highlight starts with DeBrusk and he's right at the center of the right circle, not at the position marked above. Chara right on the door step is also way off. Here they have him high middle slot and he's actually in the top left of the circle between the line and the dot. Bjork shot also taken in right circle, not from the point as shown above...

Giroux shot is also wrong, he's to the left of the dot in the circle. That's off of position by 15+ feet!

Chara slapper from the point is correct.

Pasternak wrister/snap is correct.

Second Pasternak is off. He's in the middle of the slot, just inside the circle to the right.

I'm going to stop right now, because I've already spent about 10 minutes on this post, but I think we should take these maps with a grain of salt. Their accuracy seems anecdotal at best.

Yes, use them as a rough estimate and a big picture tool.

The data is provided by the league then culled into chart form. If the league's data is off by a few feet, and they often are, the charts will be. Please don't get me started on how utterly incompetently the NHL handles its information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad