Post-Game Talk: #10 | FLYERS 4 at Senators 5 | Thu. Oct. 26, 7:30 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weise was given a shot b/c he earned off his finish last season and his play in Montreal on the 3rd line.
And because Hextall wanted the kids to spend a couple months in the AHL before he promoted them (which ones?) to starting spots.
What I defended was that this was a reasonable move.
Weise was a better bet than Lehtera or Read for the 3rd line spot.
Raffl is a better fit than any of them on THIS 4th line. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, don't mess up what's working to try to fix what's not working.

Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and temporarily accept a less than optimal solution.
Hextall wants one or two of the kids to take the job, but he won't give it to them. Got to earn it on the ice.

And circumstance matters, Martel is screwed because this is one of the smallest teams in the NHL, last thing they want to do is add a guy who might be the smallest player in the NHL to this lineup. If they brought him up, it would probably b/c they're not happy with Leier, but I'm sure Hextall would prefer Lindblom, Vorobyev, NAK or MV to win a job. In a year or two, if Morin and a few other full sized guys make the lineup, they might feel more comfortable with Martel - but field Giroux, Weal, Leier, Konecny and Martel, and that's a really small forward group, with no big guys at all, Voracek and Couts are our biggest forwards.

Or why Hextall drafted Allison, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Strome. You want some balance between speed and size.
When Patrick, Vorobyev and Rubtsov grow up and fill out, we'll have good size down the middle, making life easier for smaller wings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Garbage like that really makes you wonder sometimes if following this league is worth the aggravation. The league puts protecting the refs' feelings and status over making the correct calls.

It really is a disgrace how far the league bends over backwards to protect these guys.

How about showing some respect for the paying customers by communicating with them openly and honestly?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
The NBA, as much as I hate their officiating, comes out with reports on the last few minutes of the game and what calls were right and what were wrong. Don’t know if they do it anymore tho

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
On top of all the other issues, Hakstol really needs to get over his budding love of Lehtera. There's really no excuse for him to be playing unless there's a ton of injuries and they're unable to call anyone up. The guy looks like Jagr out there, skating-wise, and his brain seems to be about the same speed.

I mean really, Weise is awful, but Lehtera makes him look like a great player by comparison. Same with Read.

The only time Lehtera should touch ice is during practice and when making himself a drink in the pressbox.

Remember when Lehtera was on the PP? How about that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The team that traded a third round pick for Rinaldo decided he sucked & didn’t belong in the NHL after awhile. Why anyway else signed him after that I have no idea.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hagg had 16:31 TOI and was only on the ice for 1 Flyers shot on goal- the Konecny goal. Not sure if I should be impressed or concerned.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
This team is going to need a lot of patience. Right now it is all about developing young players, not necessary winning games. I am actually surprised how well they played so far. Team is .500 and scoring 3.4 gpg. Yes that game against Caps helped but whatever.. I just hope that head coach improves game plan and makes sure that forwards back check and play good D.

The thing is, you can still develop players and win. New Jersey is doing a great job of that right now and honestly, when I compare New Jersey's disaster with the Flyers roster, the Flyers have better talent, no doubt. It's all about coaching and in Philadelphia it's clear that the coaching is inadequate.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or maybe it's SSS?
Look at the Las Vegas save % - obviously unsustainable unless they have the 3 miracle goalies.
NJ has outscored the opposition by 34-28, yet they're 7-2. Wanna bet that continues?

Nice (19) #1-2017
Bratt (19) 6th-2016 - great steal, smurf
Butcher (23) 5th (Col) - 2013 (SFA) - doubt this is sustainable
Wood (22) 4th - 2013
Zacha (20) #6 - 2015
Severson (23) 2nd - 2012
Santini (22) 2nd - 2013
Noeseon (24) 1st (Ott) - 2011 (waivers)
Mueller (22) 1st (SJ) - 2013 (trade: & 5th rd pick for 2nd, 4th rd picks in 2017 draft)

A lot of these guys are second chance or late arrivals from 2011-2013.
They've hit on some long shots so far, but it's a long season.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The thing is, you can still develop players and win. New Jersey is doing a great job of that right now and honestly, when I compare New Jersey's disaster with the Flyers roster, the Flyers have better talent, no doubt. It's all about coaching and in Philadelphia it's clear that the coaching is inadequate.

NJ also has better goaltending. If you can trust your guy to make a save your job is easier.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How soon people forget.

Rinaldo was wonderful to watch skate and hit, but things like puck handling, passing, shooting, and the common sense not to take stupid penalties eluded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad