GDT: 10/8/2013 - Minnesota Wild vs Nashville Predators - 7:00 PM - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Looks like Backstrom is getting the start again? Russo's tweets can certainly be confusing sometimes.

Yeo really likes to ride starting goalies, huh?

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Worried about this one. No Coyle, Granlund at Center, Scandella in, and Yeo inexplicably riding Backstrom. Plus Nashville, like Anaheim, is just one one of those teams that always seems to give us fits no matter how weak the lineup may be.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Absolutely inexplicable to have Scandella in the line-up given not only his last game, but his pre-season.

Will be interested in seeing the "second line" usage in this game. Have a feeling it will be more along the lines of the 4th option off the bench.

The scandella thing...it's obviously because he's already shaky mentally and they still want to get something out of him. Not a good sign, but he has another game like his first two and they're going to have to sit him. Stoner can handle it. Prosser just looks stoked to be in a game every once in a while. Scandella looks fragile.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Why are people so upset that Bäckström is starting?

I mean he has been pretty good so far, imo.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
the Backs/Hards story could have Harding health factors in it...not serious ones but enough to say "okay, we'll go with backs." Harding is a team first kind of guy even though he is hugely competitive--he'd be the kind to honestly say "I'm feeling 85%." Not saying that's the case, but they wouldn't publicize it if it were and I can't help but speculate.

edit: and like Lapa--I don't see the big deal. It's not like Backstrom has been put through the ringer yet.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
probably. pick and choose. since when is starting a goalie three games in a row "riding" them?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
@Russostrib
Ryan Suter was booed by his #mnwild teammates the first time touched the puck in skate....just to get him ready for tonight #mnwild

:lol:

Why are people so upset that Bäckström is starting?

I mean he has been pretty good so far, imo.

I disagree. He was horrid in the shootout against LA, and he HAS to make that save at the end of OT against Anaheim.

It just drives me nuts that Backs struggles so much against the breakaways.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I disagree. He was horrid in the shootout against LA, and he HAS to make that save at the end of OT against Anaheim.

It just drives me nuts that Backs struggles so much against the breakaways.

I don't blame him for the Anaheim loss one bit.. As for the LA shootout.. He sucks at shootouts. That isn't exactly news. However, I don't think sucking at shootouts is enough to bench him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't blame him for the Anaheim loss one bit.. As for the LA shootout.. He sucks at shootouts. That isn't exactly news. However, I don't think sucking at shootouts is enough to bench him.

How can you not say that Backstrom NEEDS to make that save at the end of OT?? Yes, the defense screwed up, but Backstrom can't let that puck go by him. Once in a while we need him to sprawl, flop, poke check, do what ever it takes.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
How can you not say that Backstrom NEEDS to make that save at the end of OT?? Yes, the defense screwed up, but Backstrom can't let that puck go by him. Once in a while we need him to sprawl, flop, poke check, do what ever it takes.

What I mean is defense left him alone in that, so I don't blame Bäckström - and to be honest, I thought the goal was pretty nice, too. Good stickhandling.

Of course I would have wanted him to make that save, but you can't always win.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What I mean is defense left him alone in that, so I don't blame Bäckström - and to be honest, I thought the goal was pretty nice, too. Good stickhandling.

Of course I would have wanted him to make that save, but you can't always win.

That's going to happen, but sometimes the goalie needs to bail out the team. Especially with under 5 seconds to go. A great goalie can do that, Backstrom is not a great goalie. He's decent, but he is one of the big question marks facing this team if they want to advance to the post season.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
This game just felt like a game to get Harding in there.

I would have let him have the start too, but who knows what the real reason behind this is. If Bäckström keeps on playing every game after tonight as well, then I will start worrying.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
That's going to happen, but sometimes the goalie needs to bail out the team. Especially with under 5 seconds to go. A great goalie can do that, Backstrom is not a great goalie. He's decent, but he is one of the big question marks facing this team if they want to advance to the post season.

yeah lets just conveniently ignore the times he does actually bail out the D. like every single Scandella shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad