GDT: 10/6/19 - 5:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I can agree about, in particular the 2016-17 season.
Last year debacle is not only a Coop fault. IMHO, there were many things that have not worked into the right direction.
The 2 game 7? The one against the Pens...we've lost it thanks to a bad play made by Vasy, in the second 2-1 goal. In this series, we've an injured Stammer, Johnny and Strals had the healthy problem too. And our number 1 goalie was out. It was a great achievement to have reached that game 7, imho.
Well we were up 3-2 in the pens series as well. In both the pens and the caps series all we had to do was win one game, but couldn't get it done.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I just think its extra frustrating since all this team really needs (imo) is a fresh voice behind the bench. They have all the talent.
The coach doesn't have to be an upgrade in the sense that he has to have the better system or whatnot. I don't think anybody thinks Craig Berube is some coaching prodigy but he led his team to a Cup win from last place in the standings. Sometimes change is the only thing needed.

Reactions: Master P

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Say what you want about Stamkos as captain. I haven't been happy about his tenure as captain at times but that interview hit a new respect for me. He's holding back a lot of frustration. He knows the issue, he just can't say it. If that's the case, the locker room knows the issue too unless you're Smith, CV, Maroon, Shattenkirk etc. This style of hockey can't get a shot against Carolina in 20 minutes of the 3rd game of the season? It won't win a cup when we play another trap series. Cooper is not the coach for us anymore. 10 game winning streak or 45 game winning streak, it'll be another 62 win or 50 win season without a cup. If that's your captains reaction after game 3 of 82, you need to pull him aside and hear him out. You have to know what players are wanting and needing ON the ice. Cooper has overstayed his welcome.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Well we were up 3-2 in the pens series as well. In both the pens and the caps series all we had to do was win one game, but couldn't get it done.
Yes, you're right.
But, imho, in the Pens series, considering the injuries, it was great to have reached game 7.
And also against the Caps...WSH played an amazing hockey during that post season: they destroyed also the Pens, in the previous round. We'd to play better, for sure, in particular in the first 2 games...But we've not lost against Team Italy. We've lost against a team as good as Tampa.

Reactions: Master P

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Its not so much that we lost those games, its HOW we lost them. Caps series we were up 3-2, shutout the final two games. Last year 62 wins, swept. Even in the pens series we didn't adapt.

You can't use a depleted lineup as an excuse when you make it to game 7 with the same lineup. It's the ability to close out which the Lighting/Cooper can't do. Up in the Chicago series, up in the pens series, up in the caps series all to lose while being neutered offensively.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I understand all of the anger towards Cooper but, let's be real here, we have a roster of players that makes a combined $80 Million per year. If these guys need a coach to kick them in the ass still, the issues are a lot deeper than Cooper. I know a big part of the coach's job is holding the players accountable but they seem to be getting a free pass from many of the fans.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I understand all of the anger towards Cooper but, let's be real here, we have a roster of players that makes a combined $80 Million per year. If these guys need a coach to kick them in the ass still, the issues are a lot deeper than Cooper. I know a big part of the coach's job is holding the players accountable but they seem to be getting a free pass from many of the fans.

You had a team with Crosby and Malkin in their primes near the bottom of the standings in 2016 with Crosby on his way to posting the worst season of his career. They fired their coach for poor performance, Pens shot up to 2nd in the East, Crosby finished 3rd in league scoring and the Pens won the cup. If coaching can make that big an impact on 2 of the best players of the last 15 years and determine a cup winner from a midseason change it can affect anyone.

Last edited:

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
You had a team with Crosby and Malkin in their primes near the bottom of the standings in 2016 with Crosby on his way to posting the worst season of his career. They fired their coach for poor performance, Pens shot up to 2nd in the east, Crosby finished 3rd in league scoring and the Pens won the cup. If coaching can make that big an impact on 2 of the best players of the 15 years it can affect anyone.
Nice response. Kudos.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nice response. Kudos.

The Pengiuns have twice in 7 years won a cup after a mid-season coaching change, they fired Michel Therrien after he made the finals with them the year before in 2008 and then won the cup with a brand new coach in 2009 mid season.

To quote Cullen:
“It just brought a new energy and a new message, I guess,” Cullen said. “Kind of allowed us to play to our strengths a little bit more. We played a lot faster and along with that we brought in a few new guys to help with that. It’s been quite a turnaround.”

They’re different coaches with the way they approach games, but the energy, the passion for the game is there for both guys,” he said.

I think that's exactly it, we need a new approach - the same old shtick isn't working.

Last edited:
Reactions: T REX

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
You can't use a depleted lineup as an excuse when you make it to game 7 with the same lineup. It's the ability to close out which the Lighting/Cooper can't do. Up in the Chicago series, up in the pens series, up in the caps series all to lose while being neutered offensively.
i'm not using it as an excuse

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Now in video form!!!

He's totally holding back what he really wants to say.

Props to Stamkos. At least now we know that he knows there’s a deeper problem. He’s not talking about just this one b2b game. He’s holding back a lot to not get into too much trouble but it’s pretty obvious he’s not happy. And especially not happy with Cooper. He again praises the other team’s game plan. He again says they’re doing the same thing over and over and hope for different results. Those are direct shots at Cooper and he’s freaking right. The head coach is supposed to be the ultimate leader, the guy to make in-game adjustments and have answers when the players don’t have any.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We're not out of the playoffs. In February we were fighting for a wild card spot., arriving at 1 point far from Toronto.
If you don't want to sign your RFA it's ok...but gift him to your direct rival was quite absurd, imho.

We had to go on a crazy run to finish the season in order to get 1 point out. And, coincidentally, that crazy run started when Boyle got traded. He was an aging UFA. It wasn't a personal thing. It's what happens in this league.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I can agree with you when you said that if this will become the trend in the next few weeks, JBB has to take the big step.
It's probably right what you've said.

But, since yesterday, I've read that we've an "AHL level" coach, an as*, an idiot behind our bench.
People that consider a total debacle the 3 L against 3 teams as good as ours.
Maybe Coop time with us is come to and end, but it's not easy to replace him because it's not easy to find a coach that will guarantee you 3 ECF in 5 years.
I'd pay to have Torts with us...but I know it's impossible...
Also Keefe...maybe is good with us...maybe his job will be perfect and we'll win 3 Cups with him.
But TODAY, he cannot guarantee us this type of result.

Coop's good man but we need a change, sometimes the coach just can't do it anymore even if it has been previously successful, in this case I think players are blaming Coop for not solving the game plan questions that they have faced in the most critical stages in previous season, and last season was the icing on the cake.
Should have been fired then, he will find a place somewhere else and maybe eventually win a cup. But here? I just don't see it happening.

Reactions: Kusic

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'm not sure where you're seeing the free pass. Every single player gets hit with a lot of criticism when they're bad. Kuch is getting a decent amount right now for a guy who just had one of the most dominant regular seasons in recent memory.

I think you might be underestimating how important a coach can be, even to a very, very skilled team. Hell, ESPECIALLY to a very skilled team. When players are really good, and can get by on that, a lot of times, if not most times, they need somebody to inject a little bit of fear into them.

It looks like the idea of millennials needing softer, player friendly coaches has been sunk in recent years. Even the softer coaches who've won cups lately have had a bit of a nasty side (I'm thinking Steve Sullivan and the stuff with Phil Kessel).

We might not need Mike Keenan, exactly, but we might need somebody with a little Mike Keenan in him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So I definitely slag on Stamkos a lot, but props to that interview at least.

Yeah. I'm not sure if he's calling out the coaching staff, his teammates, or both. He's saying a lot of the stuff Cooper says, so it doesn't feel like an admonishment of the staff, although the tone of the interview seems to suggest some change is needed. If not in the way we're playing, then in the staff who tells us how to play.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah. I'm not sure if he's calling out the coaching staff, his teammates, or both. He's saying a lot of the stuff Cooper says, so it doesn't feel like an admonishment of the staff, although the tone of the interview seems to suggest some change is needed. If not in the way we're playing, then in the staff who tells us how to play.

It felt to me he was calling out coaching staff more than teammates

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Great interview with Stammer. He's Obviously frustrated and the dude knows he wants the Stanley Cup and isn't going to get it playing trash hockey like this. The text he sent out to everyone... We know he is ready.

I am not so sure that was a knock on Cooper tho. I think people are trying to piece together stuff that doesn't fit.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Great interview with Stammer. He's Obviously frustrated and the dude knows he wants the Stanley Cup and isn't going to get it playing trash hockey like this. The text he sent out to everyone... We know he is ready.

I am not so sure that was a knock on Cooper tho. I think people are trying to piece together stuff that doesn't fit.

It’s not as clear cut to me as it is to others

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
^ What text?

I've said this before. Cooper USED to be the coach for this team, but he's not anymore. When Killorn and Johnson and Kuch and all them were just finding themselves and finding out how to play in the NHL, Cooper was the guy. Now that everyone has matured, he's just not the guy anymore. I dunno what else to say, really.

I'm on the fence about the Stamkos interview. I think a lot of people are trying to put their view on it, but to have your captain THAT frustrated after just game 3 is pretty telling as well. Who knows.

I've been on the #firecooper train since the sweep. My opinion hasn't changed. But I will say this: give him a week. If the games still even remotely resemble that turd we saw yesterday, give him the axe.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Is Halpern the guy people want to replace him? What about Groulx, he seems more hard nosed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad