GDT: 10/6/19 - 5:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I know, I want cooper gone to.
I mean even beyond the Cooper stuff. There's a flaw somewhere deep in this team. I do think Cooper is a big part of why it's still happening, but even with a new coach, these guys have to make an adjustment in their game at some point. They have to sit there and say "Maybe this blind, backhand, cross ice pass isn't the smartest play when they've been picking absolutely everything off tonight".

I don't know how much a coach can change that, and if he can, how fast he can change it.

I think ole Stammer is feeling the pressure of that letter right now.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I mean even beyond the Cooper stuff. There's a flaw somewhere deep in this team. I do think Cooper is a big part of why it's still happening, but even with a new coach, these guys have to make an adjustment in their game at some point. They have to sit there and say "Maybe this blind, backhand, cross ice pass isn't the smartest play when they've been picking absolutely everything off tonight".

I don't know how much a coach can change that, and if he can, how fast he can change it.

I think ole Stammer is feeling the pressure of that letter right now.
I think they look for passes like those because cooper has them practice skilled plays. I don't know how many times i've seen the defense try and make stretch pass along the boards to a player out by the center ice line. By the time the pass gets there the other team is all over it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're right, it's always the players fault. Anyone down for trading Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov? We can give Cooper more toys to mess up with.

Lol we went 3 games without a word this year when in the two previous seasons we went 20 minutes before demanding him gone and prior to that 2 games. I'm pointing out that this is what is usual for us.

For the record I'm in favor of his firing or Stamkos being stripped of his captaincy so long as one of the two is fixed

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I am doubtful that putting a letter on a different shirt changes shit. That's one of those "moves to make a moves" things that teams do that I don't think has a real impact. The Kings won the Cup with Dustin Brown wearing the C. I mean - who cares.

Fire Cooper though. Should've been done last season. Well, should've been done seasons ago. There's patience, and then there's wasting time. We're in the wasting time portion of the program.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Yes, we should wait till game 4 to make it :sarcasm:
xD xD xD

I really hope they need time to find the right chemistry.
And, also for this reason, they've started the season with the slow mode on.
I don't know...From here it's very hard to explain and analize yesterday game: because this L is very particular and strange.
Ah PS: I don't see any big name available out there. So...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am doubtful that putting a letter on a different shirt changes ****. That's one of those "moves to make a moves" things that teams do that I don't think has a real impact. The Kings won the Cup with Dustin Brown wearing the C. I mean - who cares.

Fire Cooper though. Should've been done last season. Well, should've been done seasons ago. There's patience, and then there's wasting time. We're in the wasting time portion of the program.

I can agree with that. It's fair enough. I do think Coop is a good coach but he's wearing out his welcome and if we DID keep him (fine? I guess?) I'd want a locker room shake up. But in any case last night was shades of Guy Boucher. If this becomes a trend for the next few weeks JBB HAS TO pull the trigger. We didn't stack the team to be sellers at the deadline. I stuck by the guy but enough is enough. That sweep pissed me off. I can stay quiet and chuckle about it now because it's only been 3 games but that ain't gonna be my tune much longer if we have more games like yesterday. He's proven he's not the right guy for us

We could fire him today and I'd take a sip of my drink and say "yup" and take another one

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I've had it. Hope we lose 10 more and Cooper is done, I'm tired of watching the same movie. I have more respect for Stamkos now after the quote. Read between the lines and overall we need a change. People are gonna say oh its 3 games in, yeah that's true but im just tired of this.

Also, Cooper's quote in camp just shows me he's learned nothing. (quote about how Cassidy probably feels no better than him.)

Cooper has been here longgg enough, many chances.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I think they look for passes like those because cooper has them practice skilled plays. I don't know how many times i've seen the defense try and make stretch pass along the boards to a player out by the center ice line. By the time the pass gets there the other team is all over it.
This or one of our forwards making a stupid drop pass at the blue line with NO teammate around and it getting picked up by the opposing team, leading to an odd-man rush... It's maddening... the same things over and over again...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

It's not because they practice it more than other teams, I doubt Cooper or any coach in the league runs "skilled plays" drills on the regular. It's moreso because they have the greenlight to do it...at any time... when it's 0-0 or when you have a lead sure go for the low percentage play but when they're behind or the games extremely tight they can't mentally turn that off. Once again, it's because Cooper is everyone's best friend, unless you're a rookie you're not going to get called out for your mistakes.

A coach like Torts would reem Kucherov for not shooting as many A+ chances he gets, thing with Torts is, he would call him out every single time just to hammer home the point. Cooper is too scared to hurt egos of star players and everything starts from the top. When Kucherov and Stamkos are allowed to make stupid plays, suddenly the Johnson's and Cirelli's see that's ok too and then you have every guy who thinks they're capable of making a 1 in 10 pass tries it on the ice because the high-5's from your buddy outweigh the consequences your coach will lay out if you miss.

Lecavalier and St.louis both had massive egos as well, Torts wasn't afraid to go head to head with those egos and put them in check, both came out as better, more responsible players. Kucherov's biggest weaknesses is his sense of urgency at times and his tendency to make a fancy play over a simpler higher percentage one. There's coaches who would say "well he's a 128 point player, we shouldn't mess with that" and there's coaches who would say "he's 128 point player who could be even better if we fixed that" Coop is the former, he's complacent.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
xD xD xD

I really hope they need time to find the right chemistry.
And, also for this reason, they've started the season with the slow mode on.
I don't know...From here it's very hard to explain and analize yesterday game: because this L is very particular and strange.
Ah PS: I don't see any big name available out there. So...

Former Bolt Sheldon Keefe is probably the biggest up and coming coaching name since Jon Cooper. He's ours if we want him.

Bonus points that this will totally f*** the Leafs in the process

Reactions: Master P

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
This or one of our forwards making a stupid drop pass at the blue line with NO teammate around and it getting picked up by the opposing team, leading to an odd-man rush... It's maddening... the same things over and over again...
The crazy part is when they do things like forecheck and finish their their hits, they create turnovers and scoring chances. The only reason they don't do that consistently has to be do to coaching. Even in series like the caps it worked. We just never stuck to it for whatever reason.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I just think its extra frustrating since all this team really needs (imo) is a fresh voice behind the bench. They have all the talent.

Reactions: JAY7791

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Former Bolt Sheldon Keefe is probably the biggest up and coming coaching name since Jon Cooper. He's ours if we want him.

Bonus points that this will totally **** the Leafs in the process
I'm sorry but I don't know well who he is.
So I trust you :)
The only thing I know about him is that he's coaching the Marlies...isn't he?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's season 6? of Cooper. Let's not act like this is isolated because of three games.

Shit started in season 2 when he played a guy with a broken wrist be cause he didn't want to confirm the guy had a broken wrist after there was speculation of said player having a broken wrist and then you ended up icing a guy who shouldn't be in the lineup in your top scoring role.

Sums up Cooper's coaching tenure, thinking that's he's smarter than he really is.

Reactions: The Macho Man

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's season 6? of Cooper. Let's not act like this is isolated because of three games.

This

The team looked like it was puttering out last night. @Fabiobest make no mistake I got no problems with Cooper. I think he's proven himself a lot with us. But I'm not convinced our team feels the same way anymore. I have defended the guy for 6 years and when your team can't even got a shot on goal for a period there's a problem. It's less of a "Cooper can't coach" problem as it is I think he's worn off on our players. I just dont see fight right now. Once you lose the locker room it's game over. We may rebound nicely and win a lot of games but that doubt isn't gonna leave me anymore.

It's been a great run but games like last night are the ones where runs come to an end. If the team doesn't fight back it means Cooper has lost the room. It's sports it happens

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
People acting like Stamkos and Hedman will be playing their best hockey forever, or we will have the best team forever. How many more seasons do people want to waste with Cooper? Reading those Stamkos quotes between the lines and you can see Cooper doesn't have their respect. When he yells nobody gets scared cuz they don't respect him anymore.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I don't consider as a debacle to lose in the SCF or to lose in the game 7 at the ECF against teams as good as ours.
Its not so much that we lost those games, its HOW we lost them. Caps series we were up 3-2, shutout the final two games. Last year 62 wins, swept. Even in the pens series we didn't adapt.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
This

The team looked like it was puttering out last night. @Fabiobest make no mistake I got no problems with Cooper. I think he's proven himself a lot with us. But I'm not convinced our team feels the same way anymore. I have defended the guy for 6 years and when your team can't even got a shot on goal for a period there's a problem. It's less of a "Cooper can't coach" problem as it is I think he's worn off on our players. I just dont see fight right now. Once you lose the locker room it's game over. We may rebound nicely and win a lot of games but that doubt isn't gonna leave me anymore.

It's been a great run but games like last night are the ones where runs come to an end. If the team doesn't fight back it means Cooper has lost the room. It's sports it happens
I can agree with you when you said that if this will become the trend in the next few weeks, JBB has to take the big step.
It's probably right what you've said.

But, since yesterday, I've read that we've an "AHL level" coach, an as*, an idiot behind our bench.
People that consider a total debacle the 3 L against 3 teams as good as ours.
Maybe Coop time with us is come to and end, but it's not easy to replace him because it's not easy to find a coach that will guarantee you 3 ECF in 5 years.
I'd pay to have Torts with us...but I know it's impossible...
Also Keefe...maybe is good with us...maybe his job will be perfect and we'll win 3 Cups with him.
But TODAY, he cannot guarantee us this type of result.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Its not so much that we lost those games, its HOW we lost them. Caps series we were up 3-2, shutout the final two games. Last year 62 wins, swept. Even in the pens series we didn't adapt.
I can agree about, in particular the 2016-17 season.
Last year debacle is not only a Coop fault. IMHO, there were many things that have not worked into the right direction.
The 2 game 7? The one against the Pens...we've lost it thanks to a bad play made by Vasy, in the second 2-1 goal. In this series, we've an injured Stammer, Johnny and Strals had the healthy problem too. And our number 1 goalie was out. It was a great achievement to have reached that game 7, imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad