GDT: 10/6/19 - 5:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
With all this negative criticism you just know next game is going to be a blowout win.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
There is one thing the majority of us can agree on and that is Coop is on a very short leash. Crap happens and even the best coaches lose their voice. Three games into the season, fresh legs and back to back games for both teams with travel, we play like this in Carolina and no shots on goal in a period, seriously. Dead fish smell.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There is one thing the majority of us can agree on and that is Coop is on a very short leash. Crap happens and even the best coaches lose their voice. Three games into the season, fresh legs and back to back games for both teams with travel, we play like this in Carolina and no shots on goal in a period, seriously. Dead fish smell.
The only opinion that matters if JBB's. I do think that a fan mandate (which isn't that strong right now) makes moves easier, but it's not strictly necessary. This is a very patient regime and Point isn't even back in the lineup.

There is an attitude change happening/that needs to happen in the Lightning dressing room when it comes to physical and two-way play. That'll likely be allowed to play out before any drastic changes are made.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only opinion that matters if JBB's. I do think that a fan mandate (which isn't that strong right now) makes moves easier, but it's not strictly necessary. This is a very patient regime and Point isn't even back in the lineup.

There is an attitude change happening/that needs to happen in the Lightning dressing room when it comes to physical and two-way play. That'll likely be allowed to play out before any drastic changes are made.

I agree they'll be patient, but I do think management has to feel the sting of the CBJ sweep just as much as we do. And it seems the players (well, Stamkos) are still feeling it too. It's not good to see that much frustration from a vet three games into the season. Something's definitely wrong. But Coop has a month or two, I think, to coach his way out of it. If the team really doesn't believe in him, we'll see it on the ice.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I agree they'll be patient, but I do think management has to feel the sting of the CBJ sweep just as much as we do. And it seems the players (well, Stamkos) are still feeling it too. It's not good to see that much frustration from a vet three games into the season. Something's definitely wrong. But Coop has a month or two, I think, to coach his way out of it. If the team really doesn't believe in him, we'll see it on the ice.
Two months from now will be a different story. Maybe one month depending on how things go. 3 games is too small a sample. Even Barry Melrose got like 16 games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Two months from now will be a different story. Maybe one month depending on how things go. 3 games is too small a sample. Even Barry Melrose got like 16 games.

Yeah. Nothing's imminent, obviously. No point in keeping Coop at all if they weren't going to give him SOME kind of leash. But there are definitely some troubling signs, early on. I'm thinking more about Stamkos's frustration with the team's performance than the performance itself. If that had been Game 45--whatever. But we've looked pretty bad in all three games, which either means we're not taking the regular season seriously, or they've lost faith.

Stamkos sure does reference gameplans a lot though. I think it's clear to everyone that ours doesn't really work.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah. Nothing's imminent, obviously. No point in keeping Coop at all if they weren't going to give him SOME kind of leash. But there are definitely some troubling signs, early on. I'm thinking more about Stamkos's frustration with the team's performance than the performance itself. If that had been Game 45--whatever. But we've looked pretty bad in all three games, which either means we're not taking the regular season seriously, or they've lost faith.

Stamkos sure does reference gameplans a lot though. I think it's clear to everyone that ours doesn't really work.

It will be interesting to see how the team plays after Stamkos made it known his clear displeasure for the way the team is playing. Do they play hard for their captain or do they pack it in in hopes that their coach gets fired? I dont want to see the team get behind much. In the end, dont care who the coach is, just want to see them get into the playoffs and then have them take a good legit stab at this.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Stamkos always says **** like this. Doesn’t mean anything if we don’t actually change the way we play. Actions speak louder than words.

Ive seen him talk about poor efforts but this was different. He is clearly upset and wants the team to do something about it.

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
It could be just the feeling that last years results have crept into this years performance, or it could be that the system just isn't good enough for the current roster, or it could be that the makeup of personnel is too much favored on the skill set and not enough on the sandpaper characters and what they provide regardless of what Witkowski and Maroon can add. Regardless I still believe that Coop is on a short end.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ive seen him talk about poor efforts but this was different. He is clearly upset and wants the team to do something about it.
Yeah. It's a different level of frustration. He looks/sounds like he's had it. And also kind of like he might cry. :p

The point is, this wasn't the normal canned statement. This was sounding the alarm.

Honestly, I think it might be the first real sign of leadership we've publicly seen from Stammer. Maybe he's always leading when the cameras are off---there's no way to know. But you can see how sick of losing he is here, and I think one of the few universal traits of good leaders is they hate to lose, so I take it as a positive.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah. It's a different level of frustration. He looks/sounds like he's had it. And also kind of like he might cry. :p

The point is, this wasn't the normal canned statement. This was sounding the alarm.

Honestly, I think it might be the first real sign of leadership we've publicly seen from Stammer. Maybe he's always leading when the cameras are off---there's no way to know. But you can see how sick of losing he is here, and I think one of the few universal traits of good leaders is they hate to lose, so I take it as a positive.

Will be interesting to see how it sparks the team. Last year they were off the slow start and they had a "team only" meeting and then took off. I wouldnt be surprised if we see something similar happen but maybe/likely not as good as last years. Im just hoping that they take care of what is wrong with their system and can just build on that. They are a real talented team and have a little bit of everything on it. Would be a real shame if they couldnt figure it out. Im still kind of confused how Cooper cant figure this out.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Now in video form!!!

He's totally holding back what he really wants to say.

To be honest I think he meant what he said. I've watched it a few times and I don't think there's really anything else to read in to. If this is Stamkos behind closed doors these days then I don't understand how he leads the charge sulking every post season.

Idk... Your move Coop. I hate to say it's but this is gonna get toxic quick if this continues.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
To be honest I think he meant what he said. I've watched it a few times and I don't think there's really anything else to read in to. If this is Stamkos behind closed doors these days then I don't understand how he leads the charge sulking every post season.

Idk... Your move Coop. I hate to say it's but this is gonna get toxic quick if this continues.
Well its not Stamkos behind closed doors because this was a post game interview. We don't know what Stamkos is like behind closed doors.

I also don't buy the idea of things getting "toxic", I just see a team that is tired of a coach. But hey, they could prove me wrong and I would love it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well its not Stamkos behind closed doors because this was a post game interview. We don't know what Stamkos is like behind closed doors.

I also don't buy the idea of things getting "toxic", I just see a team that is tired of a coach. But hey, they could prove me wrong and I would love it.

That's about as toxic as it gets in hockey. Well, outside of the Ottawa Senators anyway.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
That's about as toxic as it gets in hockey. Well, outside of the Ottawa Senators anyway.
Well we'll see if its actually that bad or if they can turn it around. My cutoff is mid November. If they are out of the playoffs during that time then I think a change needs to be made.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well we'll see if its actually that bad or if they can turn it around. My cutoff is mid November. If they are out of the playoffs during that time then I think a change needs to be made.

I'm thinking the same timeline. Not sure if the line is the playoffs though. If we're a point or two back, I think he gets more time. If we're frustrating to watch every night and sitting in 12th, I think the trigger gets pulled.

I think tonight is going to be a big indicator for how bad it is. Maybe it's been overplayed and we come out and smoke the Leafs. But a lackluster performance tonight? After that pile of vomit in Carolina? IMO, that's a sign there's something toxic here, probably the relationship between team and coach.

Reactions: Master P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad