GDT: 10/3 Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders - Bridgeport CT 7:30pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Any quotes from Claude yet? Genuinely curious what he saw tonight behind the bench. I was seriously impressed by our future tonight more than at any point in the past decade or so. Even more than when we knew we had Seguin and Hamilton on their way... because the quantity AND quality appears to be there for once.

Claude took 35 minutes to come out and was in a foul mood, apparently Spooner didn't put the seat down

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
That was such a fun game to watch. Some seriously impressive talent we have on the farm... and some of our newer guys really helped solidify their legitimacy. By the latter i mean Smith and Soderberg both looked and played like vets... and they have amazing chemistry together (especially on the PP). Krug did not look too rusty, made one awful pass and had a nice spin move once but i didn't notice him all that much.

Kelly looked sharp and was effective, Looch not as much. #17 wasn't terrible IMO but was somewhat invisible and meh. Bart either helped boost his trade value or did good in trying to make his case to be the 7th D. I thought he was solid all game for the most part and he logged a ton of minutes. Whatever becomes of Bart, it is best that he continues playing well in preseason. I won't hold my breath for another goal tho, lol.

Spooner and Koko were both mighty impressive in somewhat different ways. I'd like to see at least one of the two on the team. If not this year, then next year i can absolutely see Koko making the team as his game must be more appealing to Claude's sensibilities (grittier player, better in traffic and along the boards than Spoons). The young Russian is crafty.

Spooner should be on the team THIS year IMO. How he could potentially be left off a team with a post-injury Greg Campbell and Jordan Caron is just mind-boggling insanity. And i thought Griffith has been good as well, he had a solid game. I can see Griff playing his fair share of games this season on the big club's 4th line RW, possibly alternating with Bobby Robins depending on match-ups.

Smith's goal at the end was a thing of beauty. All the goals were nice, really. And Koko's assist on Paille's goal was something else... silky smooth. :yo:

Go baby B's :handclap: :handclap:

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Claude took 35 minutes to come out and was in a foul mood, apparently Spooner didn't put the seat down

It turns out Coach Julien liked Spooner's game. They might put him on LW again to see if he can continue to play well there.

“The young guys played really well,†said B’s coach Claude Julien. “Those guys really showcased themselves. (For) Spoons, it was one of his best games we’ve seen him play in a while. It was nice to see his talent come out, in all areas. We may have to look at him again. The biggest thing with him now is consistency.â€

It’s generally been assumed that Spooner could only play center, but he was at left wing last night and very impressive. “You don’t let one game convince you,†said Julien. “It takes more than one game to convince us that he’s able and comfortable to play there. Maybe we have to see him again.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...10/bruins_notebook_david_pastrnak_makes_debut

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Like an 18 year old that's never played in the nhl

That said, he's fast and very good with his stick. Great pick
To be fair, the Isles weren't much of a challenge and we absolutely dominated in the areas in which he shines.

Hopefully we see him tonight against a more skilled team who, while injured, can still give the B's a run for their money.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I hope they stick him on krejci's wing to see what he can do, might be interesting to give him a few days of his 9.... A line up of;

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Fraser - Soderberg - Eriksson
Spooner - Kelly - Griffith/Robins

Could round out to be pretty effective if given time to gel

I don't think Pastrnak will hold up over 82 games let alone the run to a cup but it would be cool to give him a shot.

What do people think about putting Kohklachev on Krejci's wing? I know he's a lefty but so is Eriksson and that's where many have said he's going...I could see Alex doing really well with Krejci

Giving these guys a shot and letting them iron things out early on would allow us to keep our defense in tact and could pay dividends in the playoffs with them having so much nhl experience leading up to it...

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
How did Pastrnak look?

I missed the 3rd period but he understandably looked a little out of sync with his line mates in the offensive/neutral zones. Maybe the most important thing for Claude to see was that Pastrnak definitely back checked effectively and broke up some plays when the Islanders were trying to enter the zone or when they had just crossed the blue line. I think we all know that Claude is looking for the prospects to show they attempt to play defense, and Pastrnak showed that. I think the offense will fall into place for him eventually because of his speed and skill.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
So all of Spooners offensive abilities weren't wasted by playing the wing? Speed, vision, hands, and hockey sense can be utilized on the wing as well as center? But he's not heavy and thick with a shoot first mentality. How can this be?

This shouldn't be a one time thing. Koko should eventually get some looks there too. Truth is, that's their only shot of making this roster anytime in the near future IMO. Having versatile players who can shift up, down, and around the lineup is never bad thing.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
How did Pastrnak look?

Not good. But Josh Ho-Sang made great plays. This is why the Bruins should hire me, I know more about players than they do.

I will say, last night's game was very entertaining, what with the crappy broadcasting, strange hit by Miller, fighting in a preseason game, and other antics.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It turns out Coach Julien liked Spooner's game. They might put him on LW again to see if he can continue to play well there.

“The young guys played really well,†said B’s coach Claude Julien. “Those guys really showcased themselves. (For) Spoons, it was one of his best games we’ve seen him play in a while. It was nice to see his talent come out, in all areas. We may have to look at him again. The biggest thing with him now is consistency.â€

It’s generally been assumed that Spooner could only play center, but he was at left wing last night and very impressive. “You don’t let one game convince you,†said Julien. “It takes more than one game to convince us that he’s able and comfortable to play there. Maybe we have to see him again.â€

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...10/bruins_notebook_david_pastrnak_makes_debut

Woah woah.. no language about him not getting back or playing good in his own zone.. shocked.. absolutely shocked.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
CJ seemed very happy with Spooner's play. The Clode bashing is amusing and all, but I have no problem with the way he's assessing Spooner's preseason performance.

He scores 1 goal in Mtl but shows little interest in defence, and CJ calls him out for his lack of D while also praising his offensive contribution.

He scores 2 goals last night and shows greater commitment to a 3-zone game, and CJ heaps praise on him, says it's possibly the best game they've seen from him, in all areas, and they may need to look at him again.

Can we can this idea that Julien has some sort of hate-on for Spooner?

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Not good. But Josh Ho-Sang made great plays. This is why the Bruins should hire me, I know more about players than they do.

I will say, last night's game was very entertaining, what with the crappy broadcasting, strange hit by Miller, fighting in a preseason game, and other antics.

Sure, because you said so :laugh:

Pastrnak looked raw but how is that not to be expected?? The 18-year-old did enough to demonstrate the talent everybody has been raving about... he's fast and has a great stick. Likes to dangle. He just needs to add some bulk on and gain some experience before he's ready for the major leagues; time will tell.

In any case, Pasta wasn't bad and he had one more point than your binky... who was not any more noticeably effective and looked equally raw. What's with your hard on for Ho-Sang anyhow? You've tried comparing him to Pastrnak before (as better and "bigger"), even though nobody yet has any reason to believe Ho-Sang is any better than the B's top pick.

Are you that much of a contrarian that you're willing to go out of your way to dump on the B's prospect while playing up another team's prospect... even with such a small sample to go by?? I'll bet you cringed when you saw Smith finish that amazing individual effort with the goal near the end of the game. Can't have pieces from the Seguin deal doing well, it would hurt your chances for a job as an NHL scout!!!

Man, you are a downer. I feel sorry for whatever friends you have :shakehead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad