GDT: 10/3/13 - Los Angeles @ Minnesota - 7:00 PM CDT - NBCSN/TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Wow! Just watched the broadcast version of the game. They REALLY edited out the crowd noise during the introductions. :shakehead I only bring it up, because someone on the main board had asked why the fans sounded so quiet during that time. Thanks NBC. :laugh: Wild fans aren't known for being loud during the game, but we weren't sitting in church (like they made it sound) over the tube.

Yeah, I was wondering why Bäcks and Hards made the crowd cheer but Parise & Koivu didn't.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
A few observations:
Coyle best player on ice---please no pro-Gralund vs Coyle posts,,,Its not close.
Brodziak looked good.
Granlund is quicker, but very very light on skates
suter fantastic
spurgeon was good.
koivu, Heatley...?? Not an opener they will want to remember.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Nino-Coyle-Granlund would be a very fun line to watch.

I actually think Coyle-Granlund could be a fantastic pair together. Coyle looked great and now that Granlund has learned to move his feet (looked much faster than last year), he could make beautiful things happen in that line. And MiG-Coyle already had some chemistry last year...

The Boyle Sisters

six dollar papers
Sep 14, 2011
I hope they split that 1st line at some point, if they don't start to produce at some point. It wasn't great last season and it certainly wasn't great yesterday, either. That line is just so stale, always the same stuff, no creativity. Put one of the kids there, see if that makes things interesting. Or rather, send one of the vets down to second line, have Mikko and Coyle to swap places and give Heatley's spot to Granlund. Second line of Granlund-Mikko-Nino would be interesting.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think we should wait a bit longer before making Coyle our 1C.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I actually think Coyle-Granlund could be a fantastic pair together. Coyle looked great and now that Granlund has learned to move his feet (looked much faster than last year), he could make beautiful things happen in that line. And MiG-Coyle already had some chemistry last year...

I believe Coyle and Granlund played together in Houston last year before the lockout and developed some good chemistry. Hopefully that can translate to the PP. I like Granlund with Cooke and Brodziak though. It gives Granlund two more physical players to offset his lack of physicality and their constant drive to the net opens up space for him. Also both Cooke and Brodziak have a level of offensive instinct and skill to their game that Granlund could really bring out. I just think how well Cooke played on Crosby's wing and similarly Brodziak with Latendresse and Havalt a few years ago.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I don't understand how people are already calling for Coyle to be the #1 center. Did Koivu have his best game? No he didn't, but he also managed to win 70% of his face-offs and came out with an even +/-. Obviously he needs to insert himself more offensively, but its one game...and against a damn good team in LA. More so than that as good as Coyle was for the first period and a half his line completely disappeared in the second half of the game. Now that isn't what I expect from Coyle and his line going forward in the same way that I expect Mikko and his line to be better moving forward. Give'em a chance.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
How did everyone feel Konopka and the fourth line played?

Mitchell, I think, had yet another great game. Really underrated guy on this board. Fontaine looked pretty good as well. Konopka looked pretty slow and almost seemed to kill some momentum for that line.

What did everyone else think?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
How did everyone feel Konopka and the fourth line played?

Mitchell, I think, had yet another great game. Really underrated guy on this board. Fontaine looked pretty good as well. Konopka looked pretty slow and almost seemed to kill some momentum for that line.

What did everyone else think?

I thought Konopka was fine. Mitchell was good. Fontaine was quite invisible, but that is expected when you have like 6 minutes of ice time.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thoughts from last night:

Team looked pretty sloppy and wasn't playing with much urgency. Lots of bad passes that killed any kind of flow or momentum out there. Lots of rust to shake off.

Top line was not good. Koivu looked slow. Even my friend who really likes Koivu was down on his game. Parise was fine, really looked like he wanted to play at a quicker pace than his linemates. Pominville was not good. He was terrible in his end, not getting in lanes, not challenging the shooter at the point, and was responsible for Doughty's goal. He had some nice moments offensively but couldn't get a lot going. He also got tossed around a bit too much.

Second line was up and down. I liked Coyle's game overall, he had some nice moments, except of course when he got burned in the neutral zone which led to the second goal. Nino is a hell of a lot better than Clutter but still looked pretty raw. He could use a quicker first step but offensive skills and instincts are good. Heatley looked as slow and lazy as I've ever seen him. He's got a good shot and made one nice play in the defensive zone to start the breakout and that's it.

Third line was my favorite of the night. They had the most speed overall and showed up to play. Granlund did look a little out of sync with them, especially speed-wise, but he does look better and stronger than he did last year. Cooke was outstanding. He made so many great little plays in his end, blocking shots, steering pucks to teammates for a breakout, good passes, smart and timely hits, he was possibly the best forward out there. Brodziak had a good game as well. This line constantly drove pressure up the ice and often finished in the other team's end.

Fourth line was okay, kind of ineffective. Konopka didn't do anything dumb. Fontaine struggled, kind of like he was not ready for the speed of the game. Mitchell was fine overall.

Suter and Brodin picked up where they left off. A lot of great plays, some small, some big, just a very good game overall. Sure they had a couple gaffes in their end in terms of positioning and were bailed out by good saves, but overall they looked very good.

Scandella and Spurgeon were decent. Spurgeon I thought looked good on the PP and was able to handle some pretty terrible passes, not to mention good puck movement up the ice. Scandy played with a little bit of an edge and has size but Spurgeon is obviously a much better defenseman on this pairing.

Ballard and Stoner were...interesting? Ballard made some great plays and then some terrible plays. Very up and down. Stoner I thought played well overall.

Backstrom looked pretty good. Made the first saves, made some clutch saves, didn't look too frightening. First goal was just a perfect shot that was kind of screened (by Pominville and/or Ballard I think). Second goal Backs made a couple saves but the D couldn't clear the crease and a rebound was tucked in.

The PP was maybe a bit better but still not where it needs to be. They seemed to put themselves into a corner a lot and were running out of room. The puck movement was good but they need to exploit an aggressive PK because everyone's going to play that way. I'd like to see more movement off the half wall, more people moving their skates, more guys getting into the slot, less play behind the goal line, and fewer passes forced through the middle. Pominville and Brodin had some good shots, obviously Brodin scored but his shot looks better this year. I liked Granlund's puck movement, clearly he's good in that area. But overall they still need to have a more aggressive mindset on the PP.

Shootout was disappointing. Parise ran out of room. Koivu's move was easily read. Backstrom couldn't make a stop. Just a huge letdown and you could tell from the crowd.

Speaking of which, crowd was very much on edge. Noisy and excited at times, but clearly not happy with the play of the Wild in the third, especially on the PP, and the sloppiness in overtime. The fans expect a lot from this team and they didn't live up to the expectations.

Once again, the X seems to have cranked up their PA to the point of distorting, which was annoying. I don't understand why they have to make it so loud in there. I've probably been to too many games so a lot of the novelty has worn off. Arena is still excellent but they NEED a new HD scoreboard.

Overall, team has a ways to go. I would give the lines maybe 4-5 more games to see if they start clicking, otherwise I would think about mixing it up. Team needs to play with more speed and urgency.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
Hahahahaha...

I don't understand how people are already calling for Coyle to be the #1 center. Did Koivu have his best game? No he didn't, but he also managed to win 70% of his face-offs and came out with an even +/-. Obviously he needs to insert himself more offensively, but its one game...and against a damn good team in LA. More so than that as good as Coyle was for the first period and a half his line completely disappeared in the second half of the game. Now that isn't what I expect from Coyle and his line going forward in the same way that I expect Mikko and his line to be better moving forward. Give'em a chance.

Funny, people have been making excuses for Koivu for 4 years now. Just wait...he'll turn a corner and be an offensive force on a consistent basis. Well, we're still waiting. Koivu won't be moved because we don't want to hurt his feelings, which is sad and pathetic you have to pander to a professional athletes ego instead of doing what is probably best for the team as a whole.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
I agree 100%...

Pretty much agreed with everything you just said. Second line was fun to watch with the exception of Heatley. They won more battles, and tried to make the most out of every opportunity. Nino and Coyle worked well together. Third line had some hustle as well. I've ragged on Brodz a lot lately, but gotta give him credit tonight. He looked faster than usual. Cooke looked good too.

If I had to rank the lines tonight, it'd be 2nd, 3rd, followed by the top line. Very unimpressed with them. While Parise did have a great chance, overall, they looked disorganized and a little lazy. Preseason form.

LOVED the kids on the 2nd PP unit. :yo:

I thought the kids were far more effective on the power play than the old big money vets. The puck movement was more crisp and they seemed to want to actually create scoring chances on the power play instead of just passing it around the perimeter hoping someone decides to shoot.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Funny, people have been making excuses for Koivu for 4 years now. Just wait...he'll turn a corner and be an offensive force on a consistent basis. Well, we're still waiting. Koivu won't be moved because we don't want to hurt his feelings, which is sad and pathetic you have to pander to a professional athletes ego instead of doing what is probably best for the team as a whole.

You're right. Let's put the guy who has played one game as a center in the NHL as 1C over the guy who has carried the team on his back for years.

Koivu was great defensively last night. He will be fine offensively as well, stop panicing people.

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
If the top line makes it through three games without scoring a point I'll start to panic, sure, but until then I'll give it to them.

Some people overreact so badly it's ridiculous.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
My quick observations from being at the game:

Quick stole that game. During the 1st two periods, the Wild pretty much controlled the play.

Coyle looked great, except for taking that penalty in the faceoff dot and he also misplayed a puck that pretty much led to the Kings 2nd goal.

Koivu looked slower than I ever remember. Is he hurt? He was definitely the weak link on that top line last night. I wonder how long before Coyle takes over that #1C spot? I don't expect it anytime soon, but it will happen at some point.

Nino is gonna be a stud on that 2nd line. Garth Snow is going to look like a fool for giving up on this kid.

Heatley was a non-factor. Looked slow and threw a few blind passes around that led to turnovers.

Granlund looked better. More aggressive and did look quicker at times.

I thought the entire blueline corps looked great. Even Stoner played a decent game. I think Brodin will have a monster season and Keith Ballard was a great signing.

Overall impressions, I thought the Wild were the better team on the ice and deserved 2 pts. Like I said before, Quick stole that extra point. Even though we only came away with a single point, I'm very encouraged by what I saw.

Funny story: Before the game, I'm sitting in a vehicle at the intersection of W 7th St and Kellogg (right in front of the arena). And who do I see standing at the cross walk waiting for the light and wearing a nice suit? Matt Dumba. He looked nervous and was staring at his phone. When the walk light turned on, he started sprinting. I watched him sprint full out all the way to the player's entrace at the side of the X. I looked at the time in the truck and noted that it was 6:05 and remarked to my buddy that he must be 5 minutes late for some meeting. We got a chuckle because it was funny watching his go full out in a suit and wingtips.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
People seem to forget that Koivu was one point behind Parise in scoring last year. He isn't Scott Gomez.

One thing I noticed from Granlund last night was that did a good job separating guys from the puck. That resulted in 2 goals IIRC.
Also I never noticed before how fast Coyle is. He was just flying out there.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Koivu's career:

2005-2006 64gp 0.09gpg 0.33ppg
2006-2007 82gp 0.24gpg 0.66ppg
2007-2008 57gp 0.19gpg 0.74ppg
2008-2009 79gp 0.25gpg 0.85ppg
2009-2010 80gp 0.28gpg 0.89ppg
2010-2011 71gp 0.24gpg 0.87ppg
2011-2012 55gp 0.22gpg 0.80ppg
2012-2013 48gp 0.23gpg 0.77ppg

Statistically he's been declining for the last four years. He was never an elite center and misses a ton of games. I have no problem swapping him out if he can't pick it up the next few years.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I have no problem making someone else 1C in the future, but he should be 1C this year and it shouldn't even be debatable.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I have no problem making someone else 1C in the future,

It's bound to happen at some point. Mikko can't play there forever.

but he should be 1C this year and it shouldn't even be debatable.

I'm not one to panic after one game, but if Koivu has too many repeat performances like last night, it will very much be up to debate. Like I said in my earlier post, he was slow as molassis. He was definitely holding back that top line in terms of gaining speed into the offensive zone. His accelaration just wasn't there.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
II'm not one to panic after one game, but if Koivu has too many repeat performances like last night, it will very much be up to debate. Like I said in my earlier post, he was slow as molassis. He was definitely holding back that top line in terms of gaining speed into the offensive zone. His accelaration just wasn't there.

I meant that I don't see Koivu being replaced as 1C this year, because I don't see him sucking long term. Bad wording from me, sorry.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I understand that it's frustrating for our top line to not produce anything last night, but that's what teams have been doing against our top line since the beginning of last year. Our lines are extremely top heavy on paper, and teams are seeing that and focusing their defensive efforts on shutting down Parise, Koivu and Pominville. Sure, they could have done a better job last night, but they weren't really given much room to work because the Kings were on all three of them whenever they touched a puck.

I'm not making excuses for them, but like I said, it's exactly what was happening last year after teams figured out that the top line was the only dangerous line. Hopefully that 2nd line can start putting the pieces together and make the opposition worry about them a little more.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il

This is nothing but an assumption by SOME fans, that you then you use it as fact for your reasoning - This makes for a weak argument that comes across as completely biased.

I stopped going to the mainboard because of things like this.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
I'm not one to panic after one game, but if Koivu has too many repeat performances like last night, it will very much be up to debate. Like I said in my earlier post, he was slow as molassis. He was definitely holding back that top line in terms of gaining speed into the offensive zone. His accelaration just wasn't there.

That's the Koivu that I remember. Not going to see many line rushes from that line. They're going to have be better in the offensive zone if they want to be effective. Better at cycling, stick to stick passing, lots of movement. Koivu should never be coasting. Legs moving all the time. The guy has terrible acceleration, so he'll lose any race to a loose puck.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Yeah...wow this thread. We outplayed, out possessed one of the biggest/ best teams in the league. Last year play would have been the other way, and we'd count on a breakout or rare successful pp to get us to the shoot out. So we didn't win...it's not because anyone sucked. I didn't see anything wrong with Koivu myself...yeah he was slower than his line mates but Coyle would be too. Not at all worried about the season or line combos based on this game, but wouldn't be opposed to playing with them either. Despite our passing being a bit off we still carried the play, recovering because guys were usually where everyone else on the ice thought they would be. It's a huge difference from last year. Only one game. Not like we were playing the oilers.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010

Offensive force? I'm never going to be waiting for Koivu to be an offensive force because that isn't him as a player. That isn't his game. You people who keep waiting around for the guy to score 30 goals and get 100 points are ridiculous. Koivu is complimentary offensive player on a top line. He is a good playmaker, makes good passes, and has good drive to the net. There is nothing about Koivu offensively that is elite. He is an all-around good player and a fantastic two-way center men. Koivu's game allows players like Parise and Pomminville to be more aggressive offensively. Sure there is an expectation of offensive production. He should put in 60-70 points a season, possibly topping out at 80 if he really breaks out. He has consistently found himself in that range. The guy isn't Henrik Sedin or Claude Giroux and he never will be. Clearly GM's around the league and all Koivu's teammates appreciate his game and the level at which he plays. The constant nagging at the guy and attacking his leadership ability because he doesn't score 40 goals a season or carry the team to the playoffs single handily are absurd. Parise certainly had a down year by his standards last year and managed what? one point in the playoffs. Where is all the criticism for him? He's getting paid significantly more for longer term than Koivu and he's supposed to be a goal scorer. This team has absolutely sucked for years and now we are finally competitive with a lot to be excited about and still just nothing but ridiculous complaints. It's getting really old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad