GDT: 10/3/13 - Los Angeles @ Minnesota - 7:00 PM CDT - NBCSN/TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm not that disappointed. 1 point from the Kings isn't bad at all. Everyone on the top line can and will do more in future games, but it is no wonder the young players did good, as they've been battling and taking things seriously for weeks now.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
2-1-0 and eliminate shootouts. 3x20 and then 1x10 OT, if still tied then it's a tie and 1 point for both teams. If the game is played in a series-type competition season, you need to have ties.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Very impressed with Coyle. His balance is much better this year. Nino was OK... looked a little like Coyle last year. Great assist on Brodin's goal, and at least he's not a smurf.

I was OK with Scandella. At least he was standing up to the Kings.

Pominville did not impress. Don't like him on the point on PP.

Teams like the Kings and St. Louis are going to abuse us till we get bigger and tougher. Haula and Zucker aren't going to help us there.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Brodin was the 1st star of the night, btw.

Yeah, since they switched the 3 stars to a fan vote these have become pretty meaningless though. All three stars were Wild players despite them losing. :laugh:

It's not even so much that we have dumb/biased fans but that they're asking folks to make a selection without taking the last 10 minutes of the game into account.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah, since they switched the 3 stars to a fan vote these have become pretty meaningless though. All three stars were Wild players despite them losing. :laugh:

It's not even so much that we have dumb/biased fans but that they're asking folks to make a selection without taking the last 10 minutes of the game into account.

Really?

aaCwU2l.gif

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Doesn't solve the biggest problem of some games being worth more than others though. Also good luck to Pierre McGuire explaining that one :laugh:

No, that's the problem that it would explicitly solve. Right now some games can be worth MORE than others, meaning overall there is a 50% point reward for taking a game to overtime, leading to gaps in the standings that look manageable actually being insurmountable because of how frequent three point games are.

With my system, games taken to an OT are the exact same value as games that end in regulation: 4 points. Regulation and OT is where the game is really supposed to end. Meanwhile the shootout is an abomination and making games that end there worth a total of 3 means overall there is a HUGE punishment for games ending there, meaning there should be a LOT more effort output at the end of both regulation and OT. Regulation because you want all 4 of those points, and in OT because you still want three points over the possible 2 you can now get in the shootout.

The problem with our current 2 point system is that it means games that end in a worse way than regulation are rewarded for mediocrity with an extra point. With this 4 point system, games that end in Regulation and OT are still worth the exact same, but games that end in the absolute worst way - the shootout - are now punished like they should be by now being worth only 75% of a regulation game instead of the 150% they are now.

With my system, some games are worth LESS than others, and only if they end in the abomination that is the shootout.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

When did they make that stupid change? I thought at most fan vote was a percentage of it, with writers still accounting for a huge portion.

Billy Mays Here*

Just got back. Not mad but a little disappointed that we didn't capitalize on a couple more chances. PP looked slightly, just slightly better, but the kid unit was actually better than the top unit which better not be the case the entire season.

Top line: Not bad, but didn't stand out much either. Parise was the only one making a few things happen tonight on that line.

Second line: Worst line of the night, and mostly because of Heatley. He was bad. I saw absolutely no difference from last season's Heater and this season's Heater, except that he actually shoots even LESS now. Both Coyle and Nino were decent though.

Third line: Loved this line tonight. Cooke was solid and that was the best I've seen Brodz play in a long, long time. He was everywhere. Granlund was decent and made a few plays early on, but didn't really stand out too much.

Fourth line: Did what they were suppose to do. They did a good job of shutting down the Kings and other than a couple poor passes by Konopka, I saw no issues at all. Mitchell had a couple nice plays to break up the rush.

First pairing: What can you say? Both Brodin and Suter played great.

Second pairing: Decent. Scandella was hardly noticeable, whether that's good or bad is up to you. Thought Ballard had a fairly good night though.

Third pairing: I thought both Stoner and Spurg were decent tonight. Stoner looked comfortable out there and Spurg was alright too, even throwing a couple nice hits.

Backstrom was fine (in regulation). Made the saves he needed to but wasn't challenged much at all. No chance on the first one and the second one was more a lack of the defense being able to get control of the puck in the zone and LA seized the opportunity. Got beat fairly bad by Kopitar though in the SO and the Carter SO goal was the move we see Backstrom get beat on time after time after time in the SO.

Thought we deserved to win that game though. Luckily Quick saved their ***** because LA played a very sloppy game. It's the first game of the season so I won't be too harsh but these are the kind of games you can't let sneak by you come later on during the season.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Just got back. Not mad but a little disappointed that we didn't capitalize on a couple more chances. PP looked slightly, just slightly better, but the kid unit was actually better than the top unit which better not be the case the entire season.

Top line: Not bad, but didn't stand out much either. Parise was the only one making a few things happen tonight on that line.

Second line: Worst line of the night, and mostly because of Heatley. He was bad. I saw absolutely no difference from last season's Heater and this season's Heater, except that he actually shoots even LESS now. Both Coyle and Nino were decent though.

Third line: Loved this line tonight. Cooke was solid and that was the best I've seen Brodz play in a long, long time. He was everywhere. Granlund was decent and made a few plays early on, but didn't really stand out too much.

Fourth line: Did what they were suppose to do. They did a good job of shutting down the Kings and other than a couple poor passes by Konopka, I saw no issues at all. Mitchell had a couple nice plays to break up the rush.

First pairing: What can you say? Both Brodin and Suter played great.

Second pairing: Decent. Scandella was hardly noticeable, whether that's good or bad is up to you. Thought Ballard had a fairly good night though.

Third pairing: I thought both Stoner and Spurg were decent tonight. Stoner looked comfortable out there and Spurg was alright too, even throwing a couple nice hits.

Backstrom was fine (in regulation). Made the saves he needed to but wasn't challenged much at all. No chance on the first one and the second one was more a lack of the defense being able to get control of the puck in the zone and LA seized the opportunity. Got beat fairly bad by Kopitar though in the SO and the Carter SO goal was the move we see Backstrom get beat on time after time after time in the SO.

Thought we deserved to win that game though. Luckily Quick saved their ***** because LA played a very sloppy game. It's the first game of the season so I won't be too harsh but these are the kind of games you can't let sneak by you come later on during the season.

Just got home. You nailed it

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/2013-articles/october/wild-vs-la-kings.html

Funny, I thought the 2nd line was the best line of the night for the Wild. I found the 1st line was disappointing other than Parise. 2 shots for Koivu and Pominville total? Not nearly good enough IMO. I thought Coyle and Niederreiter were terrific. Cooke, not too bad and Brodziak played well too. Enjoy!
Pretty much agreed with everything you just said. Second line was fun to watch with the exception of Heatley. They won more battles, and tried to make the most out of every opportunity. Nino and Coyle worked well together. Third line had some hustle as well. I've ragged on Brodz a lot lately, but gotta give him credit tonight. He looked faster than usual. Cooke looked good too.

If I had to rank the lines tonight, it'd be 2nd, 3rd, followed by the top line. Very unimpressed with them. While Parise did have a great chance, overall, they looked disorganized and a little lazy. Preseason form.

LOVED the kids on the 2nd PP unit. :yo:

purplejesus

Jul 4, 2013
The better team for the night lost. Dominated in scoring chances, shots and faceoffs. I was hoping to see Heatley have some fire in his contract year, but he looked the same as last year. Defensive pairings look better. Ballard looked nice, other than one terrible turnover late in the 2nd period. That assist from Nino was very nice. Backstrom is awful in shootouts.

I think the biggest problem from this game, is what I have seen since Yeo has taken over, which is that whenever we have a lead, whether it be one goal or more, we play too passive, and we did it again tonight. A one goal lead is not enough.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Was very impressed with the first two periods. Third period got caught a little bit on our heals and it cost us. Just need a little more finishing with our scoring chance. Overall, very happy with the defense. Ballard looked great. Scandella and Spurgeon looked good most of the game and held their own. Suter and Brodin were Suter and Brodin.
Good for me:
Coyle- gained a step and a half for sure, looked great with the puck through the neutral zone entering with speed.
Nino: was happy with his game. Definitely has the skill, looked good on the forecheck.
Brodziak-Cooke: very impressed with these two, both had strong games in every aspect especially PK.
Players that looked alright: Granlund: looked quicker/tougher just needs to keep working down low and get his confidence. (hoping he gets some shootout attempts soon)
Only negative: Heatley: been saying it since last year. Sick of his coasting out there. Didn't help the second line at all. He's just out there. He might have gained a step but he's still below average skater.

People are negative about the first line. They are going to be FINE. Still the best first line in history of the team.

Wouldn't mind Yeo switching up lines a little bit throughout the night. Throw Granny up on the second line with Nino-Coyle or even slide Pommer down to the second too.

The PP will be better IMO this year. Looking forward to seeing Dumba. Maybe a younger Drew Doughty in the making ;) at least I'm hoping!

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Even though it was only one game a lot of Kings fans thought we look like a better team this year. They commented on our lineup, thought we had a solid team. And looked really tough to play against. Love the compliments coming from former Stanley Cup Champs fans.

The Wild last year/this year are in a transition phase of learning HOW to win, and having that killer instinct. You see it with teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles. We need to just look for consistency in the team and find that identity of knowing we are a winning hockey team.

Just a different mentality in end game situations with the lead of not worrying about giving up the game tying goal, but instead feeding off the lead and stepping on the other teams throat and burying teams in the third. This franchise is not used to being good consistently but I'm confident we will see it very soon

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
I wish we could have bougth out Heatley in the off season. He is skating on quick sand.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Wow! Just watched the broadcast version of the game. They REALLY edited out the crowd noise during the introductions. :shakehead I only bring it up, because someone on the main board had asked why the fans sounded so quiet during that time. Thanks NBC. :laugh: Wild fans aren't known for being loud during the game, but we weren't sitting in church (like they made it sound) over the tube.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I want to see Coyle with Parise.

Koivu just can't keep up, he slightly above Heater when it comes to speed. God that contract is going to be ridiculous in 2 years. He has no offensive tool box when its 5 on 5. God another year and here comes my Koivu hate. I really hope Coyle can continue to beast and take that spot from him. I'm sure Yeo is too scared to do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad