GDT: 10/27/2014 - Minnesota @ New York (R) - 6PM CST - 1AM Suomi - FS-N, FS-WI [MOD #314]

Status
Not open for further replies.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Seems silly to mix up the lines when we might be the highest scoring 5on5 team currently.
PP needs a change, no question about that. Its unbearable to watch the #1 unit stand still waiting to fluke into a goal.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
This is exactly the type of game that feels like it will precede a long losing streak. Had this same feeling last year when the Wild dropped like 10 of 15 games.
Coach doesn't sound like he's gonna make any big changes and it was just "another" game, so yeah.......

square-peg-round-hole1.jpg

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
This is exactly the type of game that feels like it will precede a long losing streak. Had this same feeling last year when the Wild dropped like 10 of 15 games.

I actually think we win tomorrow. There's a lot to build on here. Just need to execute on the PP and play a full 60. Also, thinking(hoping) the lines get scrambled a bit.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Any word from anyone on how Haula is? Yeo said he didn't know anything after the game. Are we assuming concussion here?

That's my assumption. Haula's had them before.

Look at Suter's quote on the PP:

"Just can’t get it to go. I think it’s going to be an ugly goal. It’s got to be an ugly goal for us to get it going."

That's the plan? To just keep doing what you're doing and hope some ugly goal magically gets scored?

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Man, I would be absolutely fuming, if this wasn't like the fifth time in three years that we've lost in this exact same way. Now I'm just jaded. I don't know what it is or why it happens. But somehow teams are learning the way to turn games around when the Wild are leading:

- Brutally cheapshot 1 (or more) of the Wild's most skilled players
- Easily kill the 5-minute major (because we make it pretty much automatic)
- Score a boatload when the Wild get deflated, collapse, and give up afterward

I honestly don't know how we've gotten to the point that this is a predictable script, so much so that I was pretty sure this was going to happen after the first major when we were still leading 3-0. But somehow it needs to change. Be it intimidating people into not pulling this ****, fixing the power play, figuring out a better way to shift the momentum back after wasting a major PP, or (most likely) all of the above, it's just not acceptable that this tactic works consistently against us.

Last edited:

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
This beer isn't strong enough. Just gonna add "Always have liquor on stand by" to my "How to be a Minnesota Sports Fan" book.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people who are saying vanek is "done".

Rick Nash was "done" also, and look at what he is doing this year.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I guess Koivu is the reason we gave up 5 goals in a single period.

If you want to hang the loss tonight on any single player it has gotta be Kuemper three of those goals were pretty soft.That having been said the problem I and many other have with Koivu is that his play this year so far has been sub par.The amount of money he is paid and the amount of influence he has on the team necessitate that he perform at a certain level and he has not been doing so thus far this season.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
That's my assumption. Haula's had them before.

Look at Suter's quote on the PP:

"Just can’t get it to go. I think it’s going to be an ugly goal. It’s got to be an ugly goal for us to get it going."

That's the plan? To just keep doing what you're doing and hope some ugly goal magically gets scored?

Agreed. Same problem again on the PP as usual. It's just too predictable. Pass to Parise on the goal line and either have him jam it in, or pass it across. Or we just settle for shots from the point and hope for a deflection, and we don't really have anyone with a boomer back there anyways. There's too much talent on the team to resort to this every time.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Koivu runs the PP from the half wall. He gets the lion's share of minutes and the offensive zone starts. It's his PP.

This isn't basketball where one player can completely drive the offense for a team. There are four other guys out there with him who are aren't scoring as well. But Koivu is the only one who gets the blame. Parise makes more money than Koivu but they both have zero power play points. It's a team thing. It's silly to blame this one player.

Obviously it would have been nice to get one or two power play goals tonight, but not scoring on the power play does not excuse giving up 5 goals in one freaking period.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
What happened in the third tonight? Were we really just that terrible?

I couldn't watch it because of school, but were we just terrible?

From the comments I've read it sounds as if we're made of glass and it was the usual crap of us getting pushed around and not fighting back at all, just the usual Yeo bs with no threat from the PP.

Did the PP look good at all or was it the usual stagnant obvious shooting?

Seriously, we had two 5 min majors that didn't score at all...

This PP has cost us at least two games this year. Even Richards had our PP doing alright, and Koivu was apart of that, so it really makes me wonder what the hell is going on.

Billy Mays Here*

*Sigh*

A typical day in the life of a Minnesota sports fan. Call me when the Wild actually manage to score a PP goal. One of the most frustrating nights of hockey I can remember. Two of our players get taken out on dirty hits, we still can't do **** on the PP, then the team collapses completely. I need a few days away from hockey after that one, hate how sports can affect my emotions so much. Not even gonna bat an eyelash at tomorrow's Wild-Bruins game. **** this team right now.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
This isn't basketball where one player can completely drive the offense for a team. There are four other guys out there with him who are aren't scoring as well. But Koivu is the only one who gets the blame. Parise makes more money than Koivu but they both have zero power play points. It's a team thing. It's silly to blame this one player.

Obviously it would have been nice to get one or two power play goals tonight, but not scoring on the power play does not excuse giving up 5 goals in one freaking period.
Koivu has one point in 7 games putting him on pace to have an 11 point season.Obviously I don't think that is going to happen but at the moment those are the numbers he is putting up and they simply are not good enough and need to improve.Parise plays his butt off every night has 3 goals 4 assists and is leading the team in points pretty hard to saddle him with heavy criticism right now.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
The reason people are down on Koivu is understandable. He gets a lion's share of the PP minutes, and he's the captain and supposed leader of the team. Kuemper isn't always going to be great. The defense isn't always going to be great. But for the love of ****ing christ it would be nice to have the ****ing captain win us a game, on the PP, or some ****ing time. It isn't that it's Koivu's fault, its that I can't remember the last time he took charge and earned us some points.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
People need someone to blame, may as well be Koivu :rolleyes:. Good thing he doesn't read this place.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
People need someone to blame, may as well be Koivu :rolleyes. Good thing he doesn't read this place.

This is ********. Most of these boards are blaming everyone. The point is that of all the players to play like crap, our first line center and captain shouldn't be the most obvious one. And it's not just this game. He's been damn near invisible all season.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm not putting the entire loss on Koivu. No way. We also need to the point the finger at the guy who is making the decision on who's out there at certain times. A few other players need some reshuffling and less PP time as well. Koivu is one of the symptoms though in this mess.

I blame the coaching more. Maybe some guys need a kick in the breezers, but they're not gonna get it, so they'll keep making the same mistakes. Suter's comment tonight kinda matches up with Yeo....the coach doesn't want to make any changes, so the players have just bought into it.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
I'm not putting the entire loss on Koivu. No way. We also need to the point the finger at the guy who is making the decision on who's out there at certain times. A few other players need some reshuffling and less PP time as well. Koivu is one of the symptoms though in this mess.

I don't think anyone is. This loss just magnifies the issues we all see with him. In a game when we needed someone to step up he didn't. That's not a big deal in a vacuum. But how many times have we had games like this where we look back and wonder where he was.

How many times does he not have to show up before we are allowed to be annoyed by it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad