Pre-Game Talk: 10/25 vs Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Benning was in a non-contact jersey today and can't be activated for tomorrow's game.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Interesting how TMac specifically called out people complaining about 5 lefties and Klef instead of Bouchard on the PP. So, at least he's aware of the criticism. I don't care either way as long as it gets results.

Also got a bit defensive regarding why he put Strome out during OT.

I didn't listen cause McLellan is a boob, but there is nothing I have ever seen in his entire time here to make me believe Strome in OT was a good idea.

Like I would put McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Poolparty, Yamamoto, Lucic, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Khaira, Rattie, Bouchard, Rieder before Strome

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know people are loving Chaisson's performance last night but playing him in the top six is above his head. We'll probably see the Macblender all game anyways.
Sure, but the whole year is probably going to be about guys getting different shots in the top 6. We just need guys to be clicking with McDavid and LD, doesn't have to be the same guy all the time.

Chiasson has the hot hand so go with him. Not like anyone else is forcing their way onto the line.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Some notes:
We have given up the 4th LEAST high danger chances in the league thus far... I'l leave that one to the Talbot thread...
However we have the 3rd least high danger chances for. And even with those few chances, we have the 2nd lowest high danger shooting percentage at 7.89%.

Washington has the 9th most high danger chances given up, and has the 4th least for. Interesting. Difference is their high danger shooting percentage at 20%

Holtby and Talbot have had similarly pedestrian starts thus far. So the difference between Washingtons 4-2-2 and our 3-3-1 is better finishing in close. Hey Chia, perhaps some triggermen would help??

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
I didn't listen cause McLellan is a boob, but there is nothing I have ever seen in his entire time here to make me believe Strome in OT was a good idea.

Like I would put McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Poolparty, Yamamoto, Lucic, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Khaira, Rattie, Bouchard, Rieder before Strome

It should of been RNH with Rieder after Drai and mcdavid got off. No way in hell would I put JP or Lucic out in OT.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Some notes:
We have given up the 4th LEAST high danger chances in the league thus far... I'l leave that one to the Talbot thread...
However we have the 3rd least high danger chances for. And even with those few chances, we have the 2nd lowest high danger shooting percentage at 7.89%.

Washington has the 9th most high danger chances given up, and has the 4th least for. Interesting. Difference is their high danger shooting percentage at 20%

Holtby and Talbot have had similarly pedestrian starts thus far. So the difference between Washingtons 4-2-2 and our 3-3-1 is better finishing in close. Hey Chia, perhaps some triggermen would help??

Is that per game or total though? We've also played 1-3 less games than almost every other team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He needs to get a break. Even if he was lights out right now he should still get a break to get Koskinen some action.

But we'd be talking about throwing in a goalie that hasn't played in a month, and hasn't played an NHL regular season game in years, to the Washington Capitals. The schedule has distacted that its pretty hard to get the back up in there against a constant barrage of tough opponents. Koskinen will start next week when we see some more reasonable opponents.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

He had a complete New guy, Marody, out there on the last shift. What if Pens score then, even worse and we don't even get a point. McLellan shows he hardly even cares when and where he uses players. When questioned why a certain unit is giving up big goals he says he trusts them. He's said this repeatedly and he's been burned repeatedly on it. Multiple of our losses have had something to do with inappropriate matching.

Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Been thinking, about linemates for McDavid

Who is in charge for breaking up the McDavid and Drai combo? I think Chia is behind that move, TM puts them together through out games often.

So my question is why break them up? We know how good they are together, they pretty much lead us to the playoffs 2 years ago, and since they have been broken up we are mediocore at best.

Boston, Colorado they dont have any problems loading up a 1st line, and it seems to be working for them, so why not us?

Unite Drai and McDavid, let Nuge play 2nd line center.

Reactions: talitintti

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But we'd be talking about throwing in a goalie that hasn't played in a month, and hasn't played an NHL regular season game in years, to the Washington Capitals. The schedule has distacted that its pretty hard to get the back up in there against a constant barrage of tough opponents. Koskinen will start next week when we see some more reasonable opponents.

When do we start him? Washington? Nashville? Winnipeg? You have to trust him enough to give him a start soon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hey now Koskinen played well in the KHL, playing him against Russia's NHL team might be comfortable for him

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Been thinking, about linemates for McDavid

Who is in charge for breaking up the McDavid and Drai combo? I think Chia is behind that move, TM puts them together through out games often.

So my question is why break them up? We know how good they are together, they pretty much lead us to the playoffs 2 years ago, and since they have been broken up we are mediocore at best.

Boston, Colorado they dont have any problems loading up a 1st line, and it seems to be working for them, so why not us?

Unite Drai and McDavid, let Nuge play 2nd line center.
Did you not watch the games last year? The team could barely generate offense outside of the top line. RNH and Drai swapped places and the teams secondary scoring and overall wins increased.

RNHs numbers improved and Draisaitls numbers didn't drop much going down to the second line. So the argument is really that with a change like that the overall offensive numbers were improved

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did you not watch the games last year? The team could barely generate offense outside of the top line. RNH and Drai swapped places and the teams secondary scoring and overall wins increased.

RNHs numbers improved and Draisaitls numbers didn't drop much going down to the second line. So the argument is really that with a change like that the overall offensive numbers were improved
I would add we've already seen at times that TM isn't afraid to double shift a guy so that they are playing together at times.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Its not last year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Its not last year.
What has really changed to make you think RNH on the second line is better for our offense?

Really see no point in moving LD. He started looking good the other day and he's already producing.

See no reason why we are looking at putting McDavid and LD back together.

Unless somehow you are thinking that Reider-Nuge- Yamamoto/JP is going to produce a ton of points

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
What has really changed to make you think RNH on the second line is better for our offense?

Really see no point in moving LD. He started looking good the other day and he's already producing.

See no reason why we are looking at putting McDavid and LD back together.

Unless somehow you are thinking that Reider-Nuge- Yamamoto/JP is going to produce a ton of points

They carried us to the playoffs. Much like Avs first line carried them to playoffs.

Our team is better with them together then they are apart?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some notes:

I can't really see how the Oilers would be giving up among the least high danger chances in the league and especially considering who we have faced, GA etc. Doesn't match what I'm seeing in the games.

How are these actually tabulated now and by who? Last I checked it was peers tabulating danger scoring chances using some kind of format of what to look for. Not sure how its being tracked now or what inter observer reliability is or how that is corrected for. To me it seems noise to suggest that the Oilers actually limit high danger scoring chances better than almost anybody else. For something so unintuitive more substantiation is required to convince.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When do we start him? Washington? Nashville? Winnipeg? You have to trust him enough to give him a start soon.

Chicago or Minnesota. Probably Minny.

Theres plenty of reasons to blame Mclellan for stuff but this schedule is brutal. Its what is dictating the starts as much as anything. You need to start Koskinen against a lesser opponent. Being revisionist I would have started him maybe against Rangers but then again that was a must win.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Another auto loss on tap. Hopefully we can squeeze a point out of this one like the Pittsburgh game.

Why so negative? The team has been playing good lately. They dominated the Pens (Outside of the crease anyway). Deserved 2 points in that one. If we can dominate the Pens, we can dominate the Caps. Just need Talbot to at least equal the goalie on the other side.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Lines I'd like to see for this game if Cagguila is healthy enough to go.

RNH-Mcdavid-Chiasson(Deserves a look after last game can switch with Yamo if need be)
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Marody
Cagguila-Khaira-Yamamoto
Brodziak, Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Gravel-Bouchard

Kosikinen
Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad