Pre-Game Talk: 10/25 vs Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
As long as bulking up doesn't take away from his main asset which is his quickness. If he can maintain his quickness at 170 - 175 lbs he will be really tough to knock off the puck with his low centre of gravity. That would make him really effective in scrums and along the boards.
That would be fun to watch. :nod:

Kind of like that Gallagher guy eh!

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Also I find it hilarious how disgusted Replacement was about people ****ting on Draisaitl for bad play, but the **** he is saying about Yamamoto is far worse but that's A-OK I guess.

What a ridiculous comparison. One player is a star player with topside of being one of the best players on the planet.

The other is a nothing player that isn't even relevant.

I have all the patience for players that matter. I have limited patience for nothing fill players forcefed in topsix rotation.

Maybe you note a difference in defense of the 2nd best player on a team vs your defense of a nothing player (and your attacks on Draisaitl)

Speaking of consistency

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What a ridiculous comparison. One player is a star player with topside of being one of the best players on the planet.

I have all the patience for players that matter. I have limited patience for nothing fill players forcefed in topsix rotation.
Players that matter? "Gagner, Paajarvi, Slepyshev, Pakarainen" my word.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Nuge had a severe weight problem coming into the league. He was listed as 165lbs, but Id be surprised if he was more then 160lbs soak and wet. Guy was so so tiny. Was my number 1 reason for not drafting him as a center. Said he'd take 4-5 years to grow into his frame. Turns out I was right.
Hmmm.... memory serves that people were very excited about his "comeback" season last year... when he was "grown into his frame"

oh wait... he put up better numbers when he had a "severe weight problem" as a rookie....

Don't buy your argument

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Players that matter? "Gagner, Paajarvi, Slepyshev, Pakarainen" my word.

Never like paajarvi for a moment. Nice try. GAgner played himself out of the NHL, after years of reasonable production and light years ahead of a nothing like Yama on talent.

The others are fill players, but useful.

If Yama wasn't being used exclusively on topsix I probably wouldn't be making noise about it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Looking at numbers and stuff seems like players with high GA rates are being sat by Todd. Only guy that hasn't so far was Draisaitl but I understand that. If Kassian, Khaira, Brodziak etc weren't also being sat then I would have an issue with the Pulju sitting

If we talk about GF/GA am I right that Puljujarvi was the best forward after the 1st line before he was demoted to the 4th line?

He was -1 at that time while at least now the best of the rest have -2. So I didn't see a reward for him for that, instead he was demoted. Until that he had only 2GA in almost 6,5 games, so in the top6 he hasn't been a liability in that sense.

I'm not totally against a demotion, benching and stuff like that as long as it's fair and the players are on the same level. This isn't the case in the team, but it's nothing new with Todd. Don't take me wrong, I'm not mad or anything this time if Pulju doesn't get to play and as I didn't see the game I don't know enough, but according to highlights (which naturally miss the little details) and what I read (e.g. EJ) I'm not sure he was really that bad. Especially compared to Kassian and Brodziak.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Never like paajarvi for a moment. Nice try. GAgner played himself out of the NHL, after years of reasonable production and light years ahead of a nothing like Yama on talent.

The others are fill players, but useful.

If Yama wasn't being used exclusively on topsix I probably wouldn't be making noise about it.
You do realize he got moved down to the third line for a bit but moved onto McDavids line due to injury right?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Hmmm.... memory serves that people were very excited about his "comeback" season last year... when he was "grown into his frame"

oh wait... he put up better numbers when he had a "severe weight problem" as a rookie....

Don't buy your argument

He's lying about Nuge's weight in the first place.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we talk about GF/GA am I right that Puljujarvi was the best forward after the 1st line before he was demoted to the 4th line?

He was -1 at that time while at least now the best of the rest have -2. So I didn't see a reward for him for that, instead he was demoted. Until that he had only 2GA in almost 6,5 games, so in the top6 he hasn't been a liability in that sense.

I'm not totally against a demotion, benching and stuff like that as long as it's fair and the players are on the same level. This isn't the case in the team, but it's nothing new with Todd. Don't take me wrong, I'm not mad or anything this time if Pulju doesn't get to play and as I didn't see the game I don't know enough, but according to highlights (which naturally miss the little details) and what I read (e.g. EJ) I'm not sure he was really that bad. Especially compared to Kassian and Brodziak.
Even looking at stats our 5 worst forwards defensively have been Draisaitl, Brodziak, Puljujarvi, Khaira and Kassian. Until today 3/5 have been sat a game

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Also I find it hilarious how disgusted Replacement was about people ****ting on Draisaitl for bad play, but the **** he is saying about Yamamoto is far worse but that's A-OK I guess.

It's his MO really. Once he disapproves of a certain player [or approves], there's no turning back. He'll either bat for them till the world ends or bash them.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Give him a few years, and see what his weight is. Guaranteed he's up around 175-180lbs. He's a little spark plug who never quits and goes to the scoring areas. I don't see how you CANT see he plays the game similar to Gallagher. He's a hell of a lot closer to Gallagher then he is to Gaudreau.

And Puljujarvi may also be in the wrong league. Lets hope not, because we need him to turn out. Right now that doesn't seem like its gonna happen.
I'm a huge Jesse fan and I'm hoping and praying he gets it. If Jesse played the way Yamamoto has been playing he wouldn't be sitting in the pressbox.

Jesse is starting to remind me of Dustin Penners lack of phyicallity and Yak's spastic zone play. I'm being extreme but dude seriously needs to wake up.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Even looking at stats our 5 worst forwards defensively have been Draisaitl, Brodziak, Puljujarvi, Khaira and Kassian. Until today 3/5 have been sat a game

I hope you feel I'm not arguing or anything, in fact I feel we've had much better discussions lately. All I'm saying is that when it comes to the stats defensively Pulju wasn't one of the worst before he was demoted. In fact he was rather one of the best stats-wise. But the three goals in the 4th line changed that. Looking at the highlights I wouldn't put too much blame on him. That doesn't mean he can't have anything to develop elsewhere, which he clearly does.

I'm again refering to Edmonton Journal, which blames Kassian on the goals:

44 Zack Kassian, 2. A miserable defensive performance that saw him lit up for four goals against in just 7½ minutes of action. He was a primary culprit on three of those goals with a couple of positional errors and a brutal own-zone giveaway, and made a secondary mistake on the fourth when he failed to protect the puck and clear the zone. His inability to fill passing or shooting lanes is a major issue with this player, and doesn’t seem to be getting better. 2 other defensive mistakes didn’t wind up in the net, giving him 6 on the night — the most on the team, in the fewest minutes, playing the least onerous defensive position. Did give an honest physical effort with 4 hits and a fight against the monstrous Oleksiak, and was a minor part of the sequence in the build-up to Chiasson’s brilliant solo effort to avoid the dreaded “1”.

This doesn't sound like a performance of a linemate that would make it easy for a young player to stand out, especially when Brodziak was obviously almost as bad and also worse than Pulju according to the EJ.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Maybe you note a difference in defense of the 2nd best player on a team vs your defense of a nothing player (and your attacks on Draisaitl)

Speaking of consistency

You keep saying force fed. Then who should be there? You bitch but you never say anything else.

Also you keep talking about player size..Cogliano is listed at 5'10...he's not even close to 5'10 and he carved himself a career.

But I guess you must be Nostradamus and can tell whether someone that's only played 15-16 games has a career.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
Difference being Lucic has shown to be effective.

That's fair, but I don't think that's what accountability means. Lucic's production was unacceptable last year right? I'm a lucic guy, but to suggest that a player shouldn't be held accountable for his current play because they have shown they are effective in the past kind of defeats the point, doesn't it? You can only hold players accountable when they have shown a level of play that you can hold them to.

I don't think that's right. You don't give Jesse a chance to establish a foundation but then hold him to a level of accountability that he has never played to before? How is he supposed to succeed in those circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->