GDT: 10/25/13 "Tip Of The SeanBerg" - Sabres VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Do you know what a redirected shot is? I'm seriously asking because I don't think you do. Human reflexes are only so fast. Goalies react as well as they can to shots, but when a puck is deflected right in front of you, there is just nothing you can do about it except hope that it hits you.

He's 100% right. Just deal with it.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
You really know nothing about goalies.... it amazes me you feel to compulsively keep replying with nonsense.

Careful, you might get an infraction for attacking the poster. Not that you're wrong, because you aren't, you just aren't supposed to say it like that.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Ott's tip was a completely visible, no-surprise goal.

Fun fact: at some point in history, a goalie saw and saved an unscreened tipped shot.

and sometimes I can guess the outcome of a flipped coin. Once a shot is tipped/deflected/redirected it becomes more chance than skill to stop it.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Bergie, Winchester, and Flash were all better by a wide margin. Barkov wasn't bad at all. He made some nice plays.

Matthias is a fourth liner who wants to be a top 6 player. Outside of his one good month last season he has done nothing to show he belongs in a top 9 role.

Wish I had a nickel for every one of your Matthias fourth line, one good month rants!!

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Ugh... UGH.

I wish we could play Buffalo every night, because they looked terrible. Which makes it all the more miserable that we ended up losing. What a crock :rant:

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Time to be realistic. We pretty much suck. We have trouble scoring goals. We have a porous D. We have an inexperienced goalie in Markstrom and Thomas cannot stay healthy.

This is not to suggest that our future is not bright, but this season looks to be a long one. Losing at home to the Sabres, who looked horrible, is an unfortunate statement game of sorts. At a minimum, it suggests that our 3-7-1 record is no fluke.

Now is not the time to panic, but Tallon should start giving serous consideration to moving vets (if the price is right) in order to make way for prospects if we continue to play this way.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Time to be realistic. We pretty much suck. We have trouble scoring goals. We have a porous D. We have an inexperienced goalie in Markstrom and Thomas cannot stay healthy.

This is not to suggest that our future is not bright, but this season looks to be a long one. Losing at home to the Sabres, who looked horrible, is an unfortunate statement game of sorts. At a minimum, it suggests that our 3-7-1 record is no fluke.

Now is not the time to panic, but Tallon should start giving serous consideration to moving vets (if the price is right) in order to make way for prospects if we continue to play this way.

Couldn't agree more. Our record says loud and clear what we are.

4-6-1 looks a lot better than 3-7-1.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
We were at the game last night and it is slowly becoming a difficult task to stay positive. Yes, Markstrom gave up a "soft" goal on Buffalo's first goal but so what? No team in this league is going to win consistently scoring only one goal.

The most exciting line of the night, to us and the season seat holders around us, was the Bergenheim, Gomez, and Winchester line. They had some good chances and were in attack mode for a majority of the game.

Barkov shows great passing ability but needs to actually take a shot. There were times he had a decent look at the net but chose to pass instead. IMO he needs to understand that the team is lacking a finisher and hasn't had a sniper in years.

45 shots on goal and the majority seemed to be right in Enroth's chest. I agree with other posters in that the team needs to screen the opposing goaltender and create rebound opportunities. I couldn't tell you how many shots the Panthers took that there were no rebounds, they were smothered.

It is not fun to watch the product on the ice when they play like this. They played only 20 minutes against the Blackhawks the other night and now this.

The stands were a little more than half full and I had to listen to screaming Buffalo fans all night! It almost seems like a road game at a lot of the games - maybe the Panthers should wear their white jerseys!

Don't even get me started on the tickeet prices we SSH's have to pay compared to stubhub!

Sorry for the long post - just frustrated!

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Can't blame Markstrom for those goals. Deflections in close are really tough, because you cant predict where the pick is gonna end up, so if the goalie makes the save its most luck.

Looks like this game was a robbery.

And whats up with the attendance? Its been awful, the team isn't good but come on. We've had better attendance earlier when we sucked as much..

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
The reason why we lost, and it's the hard truth to swallow, is because Enroth was outstanding! He played like an all star goaltender behind a garbage team. He saved his team tonight. We had 45 shots on net and only 1 went in. I've read people complaining about the shots hitting Enroth in his chest, or no rebounds...well maybe that was because Enroth was on his game, not because of bad shots. Which brings me to a side note. I've read fans complain about lack of shots, and now that they took 45 shots in one game, fans are going to complain they weren't "good enough shots". Always complaining!!!
I don't blame Dineen because the Panthers threw everything and the kitchen sink at Enroth and came up empty. There is only so much a coach can do and being on the ice to score goals isn't one of them. YOu can have the best coach in the world for every position and ultimately it's the players who have to score goals. I also don't blame Marky because the Panthers should've had at least 5 or 6 goals, so one soft goal wouldn't have made a difference. He played well too and he's still learning. As bad as it sounds but if we had better defense, he would probably play better. I'm sure he'll figure out his weaknesses and develop just fine.

Do we need a shakeup, sure. Do I feel as though certain players aren't contributing every game and giving 100%, yes but this game tonight was a good game. I honestly thought we were going to win and played well, we just hit a brick wall named Enroth.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Can't blame Markstrom for those goals. Deflections in close are really tough, because you cant predict where the pick is gonna end up, so if the goalie makes the save its most luck.

Looks like this game was a robbery.

And whats up with the attendance? Its been awful, the team isn't good but come on. We've had better attendance earlier when we sucked as much..

Too many years of sucking combined with Viner et al pissing on too many STH in too many ways by raising ticket prices, raising concession prices, dumping tickets on Stubhub for a fraction of prices charged to STH, throwing long-time STH out of their seats for Club Red.

I do not know how many real STH are left. I do know that fans for other teams from the NE seem to out number the Panther fans.

the new owner really has his work cut out for him...

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Too many years of sucking combined with Viner et al pissing on too many STH in too many ways by raising ticket prices, raising concession prices, dumping tickets on Stubhub for a fraction of prices charged to STH, throwing long-time STH out of their seats for Club Red.

I do not know how many real STH are left. I do know that fans for other teams from the NE seem to out number the Panther fans.

the new owner really has his work cut out for him...

I know this is off topic but...

I have half season seats. We enjoy sitting in the same area around the same people during games - that is the positive about being a STH. We are in the lower bowl, section 133. I tried to buy my seats for last nights game as they were not on my plan. No go, panthers website showed them as sold. Yet during the game no one sat in the entire row that my seats are in, other than in the 3rd period when Buffalo fans snuck into them.

However, I went to stubhub early last week and was able to buy seats in section 134, row 17 for $34 a seat! That is in the lower section and is around $20 a ticket less than I pay as a STH!!!!! Got a Lexus club parking pass for $9.50!!! Arould $78 for two tickets in the "premium" center ice section of the lower bowl and a parking pass. That's more than a $25 savings over my seats wich are considered lower bowl sideline seats in a higher row. If not for the team using last season's parking fee for this season it would have been more than a $35 savings - gas money from Port St Lucie!!!!

Other than sitting around people we have become friendly with, why should I renew next year? Even the full STHers that sit by us are wondering the same thing.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
The reason why we lost, and it's the hard truth to swallow, is because Enroth was outstanding! He played like an all star goaltender behind a garbage team. He saved his team tonight. We had 45 shots on net and only 1 went in. I've read people complaining about the shots hitting Enroth in his chest, or no rebounds...well maybe that was because Enroth was on his game, not because of bad shots. Which brings me to a side note. I've read fans complain about lack of shots, and now that they took 45 shots in one game, fans are going to complain they weren't "good enough shots". Always complaining!!!
I don't blame Dineen because the Panthers threw everything and the kitchen sink at Enroth and came up empty. There is only so much a coach can do and being on the ice to score goals isn't one of them. YOu can have the best coach in the world for every position and ultimately it's the players who have to score goals. I also don't blame Marky because the Panthers should've had at least 5 or 6 goals, so one soft goal wouldn't have made a difference. He played well too and he's still learning. As bad as it sounds but if we had better defense, he would probably play better. I'm sure he'll figure out his weaknesses and develop just fine.

Do we need a shakeup, sure. Do I feel as though certain players aren't contributing every game and giving 100%, yes but this game tonight was a good game. I honestly thought we were going to win and played well, we just hit a brick wall named Enroth.

Here is the problem, to often we make opposing goalies look like MVPs.
No one is arguing that we did'nt shoot the puck, but the majority of shots were long range with no traffic in front. NHL goalies will make those saves 99% of the time. How do you make it difficult for goalies? By putting bodies in front so that they can't see the puck or by redirections in close. Case in point our goal was off a redirection.

Our problem is we have a bunch of wingers on the top 2 lines that are perimeter players and won't /can't stand in front of the net to create traffic. It seems to me that we are asking Barkov (someone that should be handling and distributing the puck) to take on that role just because he has the size to do it (from what I have seen in games)

We need more players willing to stand in front of the net. If that is trading for one or forcing some of our existing players to do it I don't know.

aviators99

Apr 8, 2012
Weston, Florida, USA
I know this is off topic but...

I have half season seats. We enjoy sitting in the same area around the same people during games - that is the positive about being a STH. We are in the lower bowl, section 133. I tried to buy my seats for last nights game as they were not on my plan. No go, panthers website showed them as sold. Yet during the game no one sat in the entire row that my seats are in, other than in the 3rd period when Buffalo fans snuck into them.

If you are a half season plan holder, you shouldn't go to the website to try to get tickets for games you don't have. Just call your ticket rep at the Panthers and (s)he will sell you the seats, or for some games (if there are lots of seats) just give them to you. If there's another game on your plan you don't intend to go to they will definitely trade you.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
If you are a half season plan holder, you shouldn't go to the website to try to get tickets for games you don't have. Just call your ticket rep at the Panthers and (s)he will sell you the seats, or for some games (if there are lots of seats) just give them to you. If there's another game on your plan you don't intend to go to they will definitely trade you.

Oh I have. I have a great ticket rep. But, my seats were not available for this game. I look at the website to see what seats are available.

Free lower bowl seats? Maybe my rep isn't that great! I have some bonus tickets but I have never received free seats in the lower bowl.

I traded lots of games prior to the season too.

aviators99

Apr 8, 2012
Weston, Florida, USA
Oh I have. I have a great ticket rep. But, my seats were not available for this game. I look at the website to see what seats are available.

Free lower bowl seats? Maybe my rep isn't that great! I have some bonus tickets but I have never received free seats in the lower bowl.

I traded lots of games prior to the season too.

I didn't mean you could get your exact seats, and of course they wouldn't be available. But my point is that your rep has hundreds of seats (yes, in the lower bowl) available that don't show up on the web site. You can call his/her cell phone (even on the day of the game) and at the very worst get them at face value. Sometimes even for free.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
Here is the problem, to often we make opposing goalies look like MVPs.
No one is arguing that we did'nt shoot the puck, but the majority of shots were long range with no traffic in front. NHL goalies will make those saves 99% of the time. How do you make it difficult for goalies? By putting bodies in front so that they can't see the puck or by redirections in close. Case in point our goal was off a redirection.

Our problem is we have a bunch of wingers on the top 2 lines that are perimeter players and won't /can't stand in front of the net to create traffic. It seems to me that we are asking Barkov (someone that should be handling and distributing the puck) to take on that role just because he has the size to do it (from what I have seen in games)

We need more players willing to stand in front of the net. If that is trading for one or forcing some of our existing players to do it I don't know.

Well, I can't disagree with you about screening the goalie. It can't hurt to crash the net more and it's kind of a hockey 101. With that being said, I don't remember all or most of those 45 shots being long range.

I do disagree with the fans complaining about shots though. Every single GDT I read,fans complain about how many shots go wide. While it may be the truth and we need to work on accuracy, there has to be a happy medium. I mean, we can't complain about lack of shots and then when they shoot, we complain about the quality of shot. It's like the fans complain for the sake of complaining. We could have played a wonderful game against anyone, and simple being on the losing end and fans will find SOMETHING to complain about instead of simply enjoying a hockey game. I know I am rambling now and I apologize but I personally felt like the Panthers played a darn good game tonight and simply lost. It sucked! It was a heartbreaker no doubt, but I thought they played well. They were hitting, shooting, fighting. Sure they need work and need a big turn around this season but I felt like it was an entertaining game,much like Chicago. Whether it was bad shots, good goaltending by Enroth, no screening Enroth or poor performance by Marky, it was still more entertaining than most of the games this season.

I am also on board with a big trade to shake things up, much like Booth did. If Versteeg+ has to be sacrificed to acquire a top 6 forward, who can score and gets in front of the net, then I'm down.

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Everyone here knows i'm a pretty optimistic guy. I see things differently then everybody else. But here's the thing about this team. I love it, i love this team so much but they cannot find a way to win. It seemed that just 2 years ago even when that team played bad they still found ways to win. Between then and now i don't know what happened because I feel the roster is better.

I feel that everybody is frustrated here on the board(rightfully so) but no one stops and thinks about what they say before they belt it out. Like come on guys, I'm only 15 years old and I feel like I'm one of the maturest one right now lol. I mean you know it gets bad when you have guys on here that thing there fortune tellers who can predict the future of our prospect pool 5 years down the road.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
They all have an extra -1 because of an empty net goal. The first goal was weak. Markstrom should have stopped it. Barkov and Flash were responsible for an overwhelming % of our offensive chances tonight. Matthias and Kopecky don't help us win. They have done contributed nothing offensively in 11 games this season.

I don't necessarily disagree with this but both Matthias and Kopecky do very well on the other side of the puck. I think the problem at the moment is that our so called top six forwards end up in the minus column more than the plus column. If they are not in the plus column then why are they on the top six? I guess what I'm trying to say is, if they aren't scoring why are they here? In my opinion you build championship teams around guys like Huberdeau and Barkov and maybe to a lesser degree Flash but the rest of the top six just don't cut it.

Matthias and Kopecky should start popping a few in the weeks to come and I still believe they are both the type of players champioship teams need to succeed. In my humble opinion then the only current core players I see on the Panthers are: Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Gubranson, Kulikov, Markstrom and Flash and Kopecky to a lesser degree because of age. Other than those guys if things don't change by trade deadline this team will surely look a lot different next year.

Would be curious to know others opinions on who they think the team's core should be? Would start a thread but not sure I have the technology!

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Like come on guys, I'm only 15 years old and I feel like I'm one of the maturest one right now lol.

Thats kinda the point. You haven't been around long enough to have your soul violated in the most heinous ways, each and every year, for what seems like an eternity. When the Panthers still haven't won a cup in 10 years, and continue to be a terribly run sports org., u'll understand.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Thats kinda the point. You haven't been around long enough to have your soul violated in the most heinous ways, each and every year, for what seems like an eternity. When the Panthers still haven't won a cup in 10 years, and continue to be a terribly run sports org., u'll understand.

Haha, good point. A lot of us have been watching this team longer than he's been alive.

-ghoste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad