GDT: 10/23/2019 Game 10: Detroit Red Wings @ Ottawa Senators (7:30pm EST)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, I gathered that much. I find that to be an unreasonable decision to make, so I am trying to avoiding talking about it in too much depth. You don't make a move like that without a better move in mind. Firing Blashill doesn't make the team better this year because there are no coaches internally or externally available that are an upgrade on Blashill at this stage. If you want to tell me that it's time to move on at the end of the season, I could have that debate, but right now to fire him for the sake of firing him is shortsighted and just doesn't make any sense.

Bylsma has a better resume than Blash, and it's not close.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
How can you blame Blashill when he’s given the second worst roster in the league? He’s developed some pretty outstanding players under the Wings organization. Don’t think we can give up on him until we have at least an average roster to work with.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
this roster is just bad. I think that most of the time, blashhill does a good job...as soon as mantha or larkin don't perform well, the team has nothing to offer except the always hustling glendening. But thats not enough

Reactions: TheRatPoisoner

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The boys just aren't playing for Blashil. It's looked like he lost the room since last year. We need someone to light a fire under the boys.
Bring on Jim Harbaugh.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
How can you blame Blashill when he’s given the second worst roster in the league? He’s developed some pretty outstanding players under the Wings organization. Don’t think we can give up on him until we have at least an average roster to work with.

this roster is just bad. I think that most of the time, blashhill does a good job...as soon as mantha or larkin don't perform well, the team has nothing to offer except the always hustling glendening. But thats not enough

Agree with these comments 100%.

I'm completely agnostic when it comes to Blashill; don't love him, but don't hate him either. But blaming him for what's clearly a roster problem just doesn't make any sense.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm not blaming him for this team losing. I'm blaming him for the ass decisions he makes.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Bylsma has a better resume than Blash, and it's not close.

Fortunately resumes in this business mean absolute jack shit, and reputations are king. Blashill has a stronger reputation than Bylsma, and that's why Disco Dan has been out of a head coaching job since early 2017 and working as an assistant behind Blashill.

The boys just aren't playing for Blashil. It's looked like he lost the room since last year. We need someone to light a fire under the boys.
Bring on Jim Harbaugh.

Only if you want to shift the third period woes to the first period and create insurmountable deficits early on.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Fortunately resumes in this business mean absolute jack ****, and reputations are king. Blashill has a stronger reputation than Bylsma, and that's why Disco Dan has been out of a head coaching job since early 2017 and working as an assistant behind Blashill.

Only if you want to shift the third period woes to the first period and create insurmountable deficits early on.
Come on, our offense is hitting it's stride.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Bring on Jim Harbaugh.

thats not true. I thought so as well 2 seasons ago and wanted him gone. But last year, the "young" guys all developed pretty well and the team was fun to watch, even when they lost most of the time. But they fought well and never really gave up. Blashhill had to learn that he has to trust young players, and last season, he started to do that. Cholowksi, hronek, rasmussen all played a lot.

He will give svechnikov more ice time, i bet he just doesn't want to rush him. Svech puts a lot of pressure on himself

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Get Glendening out of the top 6. Don't ever play Helm with guys like Larkin and Mantha ever again. Kick Abby off the power play. Play AA with talented teammates not with the grinders of the world. Do these things and I have no problem with Blashill.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Get Glendening out of the top 6. Don't ever play Helm with guys like Larkin and Mantha ever again. Kick Abby off the power play. Play AA with talented teammates not with the grinders of the world. Do these things and I have no problem with Blashill.

what talented players do you mean? We finally have a 1st line that is solid and should not be broken apart. Whats left is AA in best case scenario playing with old filpula and still unproven svechnikov. When zadina, veleno, rasmussen etc are up next year, we finally have some more talent on the roster

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
what talented players do you mean? We finally have a 1st line that is solid and should not be broken apart. Whats left is AA in best case scenario playing with old filpula and still unproven svechnikov. When zadina, veleno, rasmussen etc are up next year, we finally have some more talent on the roster
I totally agree, which is why I have a problem with Blashill breaking it up and putting Helm there for however long it lasted. I would rather AA play with Flip/Hirose/Svech than with the Glendenings of the world.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I totally agree, which is why I have a problem with Blashill breaking it up and putting Helm there for however long it lasted. I would rather AA play with Flip/Hirose/Svech than with the Glendenings of the world.

You mean like 1 period when Blashill was trying to use Bertuzzi to spark Athanasiou so the team looked like something other than a 1st line and three 4th lines? You can't have such a rigid perspective on what is right when there's clearly logic and thought behind the decision. Blashill tries to address one of your issues and the only way he can is to create another issue.

Talk about being rigged for failure...kind of like having a bad roster forces things that can be perceived as poor decisions.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You mean like 1 period when Blashill was trying to use Bertuzzi to spark Athanasiou so the team looked like something other than a 1st line and three 4th lines? You can't have such a rigid perspective on what is right when there's clearly logic and thought behind the decision. Blashill tries to address one of your issues and the only way he can is to create another issue.

Talk about being rigged for failure...kind of like having a bad roster forces things that can be perceived as poor decisions.
yes, like the 1 period (many periods throughout his coaching tenure) he uses plugs to fill in rather than the little talent that this team has. He want's to give a spark to AA fine, but don't dismantle the one line this team has that has been consistent. Like I said earlier, I would rather see him with the other players that I mentioned and keep the BLM line intact.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
yes, like the 1 period (many periods throughout his coaching tenure) he uses plugs to fill in rather than the little talent that this team has. He want's to give a spark to AA fine, but don't dismantle the one line this team has that has been consistent. Like I said earlier, I would rather see him with the other players that I mentioned and keep the BLM line intact.

No no, you don't get that choice. Prior to last night, there are FOUR talented players on the entire team. Don't cry about the suffering of Larkin and Mantha, they are miles ahead of everyone else on the roster. Helm was just a pawn. Use your skating and willingness to get your ass beat in the corners and in front of the net to get the puck to Larkin and Mantha. The same purpose that Bertuzzi serves.

Nielsen, Filppula, Hirose are all complete non-factors. Svechnikov gives us hope, but we need to grant him time. We can't afford to let Athanasiou to struggle right now. The team can't win with one line. And either we need Athanasiou to be a factor now, or we need to inflate his value and ship him out for something that will be. Neither of things can happen if his line is getting their heads caved in on a nightly basis.

You can try to dance your way around the problems and pretend it's the fault of whoever you want, but the core problem is the same, and it's not coaching decisions.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
No no, you don't get that choice. Prior to last night, there are FOUR talented players on the entire team. Don't cry about the suffering of Larkin and Mantha, they are miles ahead of everyone else on the roster. Helm was just a pawn. Use your skating and willingness to get your ass beat in the corners and in front of the net to get the puck to Larkin and Mantha. The same purpose that Bertuzzi serves.

Nielsen, Filppula, Hirose are all complete non-factors. Svechnikov gives us hope, but we need to grant him time. We can't afford to let Athanasiou to struggle right now. The team can't win with one line. And either we need Athanasiou to be a factor now, or we need to inflate his value and ship him out for something that will be. Neither of things can happen if his line is getting their heads caved in on a nightly basis.

You can try to dance your way around the problems and pretend it's the fault of whoever you want, but the core problem is the same, and it's not coaching decisions.
1st of all, you or anyone else for that matter can't tell me what my opinion should be. Second of all, you seem to be thinking that I think this team will be good with the suggestions that I made. I never said that, in fact, in other threads I acknowledge that this team would be bad regardless of how the coaching goes. I have a problem with the way Blashill coaches. Plain and simple. It's the same problem that myself and others felt when Babcock was here doing the same things. We thought we were going to get a different coach that would let the kids play, instead, we got a 99 cents store knockoff.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
congrats , youve just received the first 'baby bonnet' award for being the cry baby of the game being that your post is totally whining based and in complete ignorance of the fact blash has nobody else to play in top 6 thats any better . mean while all 3 these guys have given their all to the organization over the years and imo should be rewarded some top 6 time outof respect plus the fact we aint gonna and dont want to do good this season anyway

00000000000000000000000000000000baby-bonnets-500x500.jpg

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
1st of all, you or anyone else for that matter can't tell me what my opinion should be. Second of all, you seem to be thinking that I think this team will be good with the suggestions that I made. I never said that, in fact, in other threads I acknowledge that this team would be bad regardless of how the coaching goes. I have a problem with the way Blashill coaches. Plain and simple. It's the same problem that myself and others felt when Babcock was here doing the same things. We thought we were going to get a different coach that would let the kids play, instead, we got a 99 cents store knockoff.

Nobody is telling you what opinion you can or can't have. When I say "you don't get that choice" it is referencing the choice of keeping the first line together and surrounding Athanasiou with top 6 or even top 9 talent. Because there is none. You need to realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too. "The kids" are few and far between on this team. The one's who do are occupy 4 of the 6 top 6 spots on the team. You want something other than 99 cent store knockoffs? Don't employ 4 real deal forwards and 10 99 cent store knockoffs.

This team is in a situation where you are forced to rob Peter to pay Paul. Unfortunately, there is no work around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00