GDT: 10/23/2019 Game 10: Detroit Red Wings @ Ottawa Senators (7:30pm EST)

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Reeks of deflection?
I said he was not playing well.

I think a lot of the AA critiques are pure BS...that come from years of sticking up for an inept and obtuse head coach.
AA, IMO, could be more dogged than he is.
Even still, these last few games, I see a guy hustling at both ends of the rink.
He's a guy who needs to get on track, and I think this whole Glendening on L2 thing is not a good idea.

The only thing that was going to end it was injury.

Saying he's not playing well still seems like a deflection to me.

AA has obvious weaknesses that are holding him back, whether he's in rhythm or not, whether he's on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Critiques of his awareness, positioning, playmaking and possession skills are surely rooted in the eye test and history, not a conspiracy to favor an inexperienced and uncharismatic coach.

Athanasiou is bad right now. I've never claimed otherwise. I'm not making any excuses for him. He's playing bad. AT THE SAME TIME, Glendening is and always has been a ****ty idea for a partner for him. Glendening is a shutdown line guy. Putting him with a goalscorer is never going to help your goalscorer.

I don't care what kind of player you think AA is, somebody still has to get him the puck. Is Trevor Daley going to get him the puck? Is Luke Glendening going to get him the puck?

Or are you telling me you're expecting AA to play defense, take the puck, then create space for himself, then take it all the way up the ice by himself and create his own scoring chance? You're expecting him to do all that and then you're surprised when he fails?

I don't see anything reflective of AA's track record/strengths/weaknesses in this analysis.

You don't care what kind of player I think AA is? That's what my main point revolves around, so...

Your last paragraph makes it sound like you are working from the presumption that AA is as well rounded, experienced and adept as a top 6 NHL winger as your average NHL top 6 winger. I think this presumption is really off base and leading to a counter intuitive line of reasoning for his play.

His vision and awareness is just not that great. He's frequently out of position and ineffective. I think he competes great actually, and has great scoring instincts.

I like AA a lot, and have no problem waiting for him to figure out what his role is in the future in the NHL. I've just never seen any indication that he's anywhere near establishing that his future is as a top 6 winger, or even a PP player.

Personally I think it's about time to recommit to the idea of AA spending significant time at center, but I know a lot of people don't like that idea. I think it makes sense on a couple levels.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You guys are still stuck on 2 things being true at the same time.

I never argued against any of AA's weaknesses that you feel obligated to discuss over and over. AA is an incomplete player who's playing bad right now and needs to be better.

You STILL don't put guys like Glendening on his line. Yes, Glendening can play defense, but he will NEVER get him the puck. If Glendening has any clue how to put a puck into a teammate's possession, he hasn't showed it in a decade of hockey. You can rail against AA all you want but at the end of the day, he NEEDS someone to get him the puck. He needs SOMEONE to be on the ice capable of successfully transferring a puck into his possession. That person is not Glendening.

Glendening should play with Helm, Abdelkader, Witkowski, Ehn, De la Rose... guys who you don't give a shit whether they touch a puck all game outside a shot block.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Through 10 games, Detroit is one point out of last place, and tied for last with Minnesota for goal differential (-15).

There's draft capital to be gained, but man it's ugly at the moment...

eAlu9aNOek6jIx_Nwasqhw2-e1343846603942.jpeg

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We are going to make a trade after the 11th game of the year? We are going to fire a coach when everyone knew this team was bottom 5 in the league?

We're not just losing. We're getting ripped.
We have the worst goal differential in the league.
We've been outscored 27-9 over the last 6 games.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To be fair, a lot of those bad teams did not have the young talent Detroit does right now. Edmonton hasnt made a pick like Bertuzzi in years for example. Detroit might look bad now but they were never as bad as what Colorado and Edmonton have been for years,

Right. If Edmonton could have been drafting Nyquists, Tatars and AAs, maybe they'd have won something.

Reactions: firestarter

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
We're not just losing. We're getting ripped.
We have the worst goal differential in the league.
We've been outscored 27-9 over the last 6 games.
I don't have an issue with the Wings losing - it's just how they're going about it...It's one thing to lose by a goal, but staying in the game, and looking like a competent NHL club - then there's what we see on many nights where the team looks outta sorts.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'd love to see how many goals are scored against the Wings with DeKeyser in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't have an issue with the Wings losing - it's just how they're going about it...It's one thing to lose by a goal, but staying in the game, and looking like a competent NHL club - then there's what we see on many nights where the team looks outta sorts.

What I saw against Ottawa was concerning.
One team with structure and cohesion most of the night. The other team with very little of it.

I get it. We suck.
And at the end of the day, I'll be happy to take a Lafreniere or a Byfield.
But I don't want these kids getting completely smashed by lesser teams.

Reactions: Winger98

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'd love to see how many goals are scored against the Wings with DeKeyser in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

From corsica.hockey, through 8 games, Danny Dekeyser has 8 goals against in even strength scenarios when he was on the ice. Detroit in total has 29 even strength goals against through 10 games. Dekeyser has 143.06 minutes of even strength ice time.

Dekeyser - 8 in 143.06 (ES TOI) - 17.88 min/goal
Hronek - 12 in 162.13 - 13.51 min/goal
Cholowski - 8 in 120.65 - 15.08 min/goal
Green - 7 in 187.66 - 26.81 min/goal
Nemeth - 7 in 175.55 - 25.08 min/goal
Daley - 3 in 76.07 - 25.36 min/goal
Bowey - 4 in 64.75 - 16.19 min/goal
Biega - 1 in 26.7 - 26.70 min/goal

Obviously this isn't the best analysis we could manage because it doesn't factor in deployment, or strength of opposing lines.

Edit: Dekeyser missed the first Vancouver game (Loss 1-5, outshot 27-32) and the Ottawa game (Loss 2-5, outshot 36-38). He was also injured in the second Vancouver game (Loss 2-5, outshot 33-41) and missed probably 6 minutes of ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->