GDT: 10/22/2019 Game 9: Vancouver Canucks @ Detroit Red Wings (7:30pm EST)

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Allow me to vent:
Why the f*ck can't we get a top 3 pick? Why do we have to settle for net front presences at 9th overall, then a sniper who is struggling to score goals and a Brandon Carlo clone at 6 (no disrespect to these guys, but they will not be elite players). Why is our roster so stagnant compared to other teams? At least shuffle the bottom 6 guys so we have players that are hungry, but no, Holland had to lock up Abdelkader and Helm and Nielsen to rot in the twilight years of their careers and be complacent about it. At give us something to be excited about. Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, and Athanasiou likely are what they are at this point, Hronek and Cholowski still have lots of room to grow, but their defensemen so by the nature of the position it's going to be slow. Just give us a Dach, or even a Kotkaniemi, Jesus just something exciting to stem the tide until we're good.

Agreed. And since missing the playoffs, we’ve dropped the most in the draft compared to any other team.

I honestly think we are the ONLY team in the entire league, maybe with the exception of Ottawa, without a single elite player on the roster.

Reactions: avssuc

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I feel bad for Larkin in the post game interviews going back to last year. It comes with the job, but he sounds pretty dejected right now. We're a legit 2c & 2RW from being a ~ 85-90pt team. Those 2 additions along with our "passable"top 5 D would make it more entertaining & palatable as we could/would still inadvertently nosedive for a lottery pick. With the pressure mounting & as smart & competitive as Yzerman is, I hope/wish he's at least open to a trade & maybe (hopefully) passively shopping...I just wonder when his patience starts to run out to the point of action.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I feel bad for Larkin in the post game interviews going back to last year. It comes with the job, but he sounds pretty dejected right now. We're a legit 2c & 2RW from being a ~ 85-90pt team. Those 2 additions along with our "passable"top 5 D would make it more entertaining & palatable as we could/would still inadvertently nosedive for a lottery pick. With the pressure mounting & as smart & competitive as Yzerman is, I hope/wish he's at least open to a trade & maybe (hopefully) passively shopping...I just wonder when his patience starts to run out to the point of action.

He knew what this season was going to be like. Guys might be moved, but it's not going to be because Yzerman has lost patience. Svech is getting his chance, wait for the next one to come up.

Reactions: NotLeddy

BIGZ40

Jul 2, 2006
Georgia
He knew what this season was going to be like. Guys might be moved, but it's not going to be because Yzerman has lost patience. Svech is getting his chance, wait for the next one to come up.
I hope as the year goes on we see more youth force their way in the lineup, but they need to show they're ready which starts in GR. #GoGriffs

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I hope as the year goes on we see more youth force their way in the lineup, but they need to show they're ready which starts in GR. #GoGriffs

Give'em time. I mean, how well would a team of rookies and prospects do in the NHL? That's what GR is basically dealing with. A lot of potential, a lot of skill, but maybe not guys who know how to use it yet.

MetalHeadRedwingfan

Feb 6, 2019
I think Blash's time is up. I was watching the game, and noticed him talking to abby on the bench. Abby had the look on his face, like, whatever dude. All the body language from abby showed me none of these guys can stand playing for this clown anymore. Go make your stupid faces on the bench somewhere else.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agreed.

No doubt this team has a below average roster, but pooping the bed like they did in the 3rd...Well - Yzerman may very well do sumthin'bout that.
This team always seems to have one really bad period every game, even the ones they won. It'd be really nice so see a complete game from the players, especially the goalies.

In any case, I got home late and only got to watch the third period. Lucky me.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ottawa's existence is such a buzzkill for this whole tanking thing

no matter how bad the Wings do it's difficult to imagine actually finishing in last place thanks to them

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He was our best player in the first two periods

No, I agree he was good for long stretches, and has been for the majority of his career...

... but when it comes down to it, it's like he doesn't have that competitive fire anymore. He's in it for a paycheck because he knows he's nearing the end, and just wants a little more security for his family.

I don't blame the guy, and like I said, I don't think he's the problem; but at some point this season, Larsson needs to get a good look.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
People really underrate DeKeyser.

He has improved drastically in the last two years, even last year he was underrated. He's no #1 but I can really see him still around in the top 4 when we start competing. Hronek, #2, Cholowski and Dekeyser has potential to be really solid as a top 4... Not saying it will happen, but the potential is there with the mix of skill and youthfulness.

I know DK is 29 but in 3 or 4 years when we should be decent, that's not too old to be a solid contributor.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Lets all just say it, Kenny f***ed this team up years ago, f***ed Nill, f***ed Stevie, then ran like hell as soon as Stevie was brought back. Because he did not want to look bad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Allow me to vent:
Why the f*ck can't we get a top 3 pick? Why do we have to settle for net front presences at 9th overall, then a sniper who is struggling to score goals and a Brandon Carlo clone at 6 (no disrespect to these guys, but they will not be elite players). Why is our roster so stagnant compared to other teams? At least shuffle the bottom 6 guys so we have players that are hungry, but no, Holland had to lock up Abdelkader and Helm and Nielsen to rot in the twilight years of their careers and be complacent about it. At give us something to be excited about. Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha, and Athanasiou likely are what they are at this point, Hronek and Cholowski still have lots of room to grow, but their defensemen so by the nature of the position it's going to be slow. Just give us a Dach, or even a Kotkaniemi, Jesus just something exciting to stem the tide until we're good.
Ridiculous post on so many levels.

Go back 3-4 years and we’ve probably had some of the most roster turnover in the league.

Kotkaniemi is nothing special (at this point)

Dach look good but Seider very much does too

Ras and Zadina could still turn out great

We’ve been unlucky in the draft lottery but most teams are...

Grass is greener syndrome. It’s a rebuild, they always feel longer going through it yourself than they do when looking from the outside or in retrospect.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Allow me to vent:
Just want to point out that in an alternate universe we won the lottery and picked Zadina at 3 and nobody questioned it.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I don't even care, I am already salivating over Lafreniere, he would look SO good with a wheel on his chest. Top 6 of Larkin, Veleno, Mantha, Lafreniere, Bertuzi and Zadina.

Reactions: lilidk

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Pass it to me! I'll make sure to over skate or let it bounce of my stick like I'm playing with a 2x4.

Abby on the PP after being double shifted on the PK? Mother of God....
A week ago I was taking some flak for calling these 2 plus Glenndog out.

What gives?

:laugh:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Agreed. And since missing the playoffs, we’ve dropped the most in the draft compared to any other team.

I honestly think we are the ONLY team in the entire league, maybe with the exception of Ottawa, without a single elite player on the roster.

I've wondered about this. I wonder how the Wings drops relate to the TV revenue of the teams that moved up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad