GDT: 10-21-18 Chicago Smurfs vs Tampa Bay Snorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Q now has added another classic line to his repertoire with the "Couldn'Keep It,Couldn't Protect It,Couldn't Touch It...It Was Tough" description of this horror show ....all true but sort of indicates he has no answers to fix it .

Toes and other ojayers all blaming their lack of effort..but I am not sure effort was the issue ...they just do knot know or are not able to defend properly ...our goalies under seige the last 2 games ..TB looked way faster and way more co-ordinated both in forwards and den on the same page and in terms of athletic co-ordination with pucks being controlled in scrims or battles or grabbing of loose pucks ...

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
As the season drags on ... this score will be more typical than unusual

Cam Ward stinks

Special teams stink

Defense is swiss cheese

when do we get Hughes?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
well i have a few things that i was pissed at, with the lost against TPA. some could use 3 games in 4 days as an excuse. in today's era of the games being spread out, i just don't know. could this be really used as and excuse ??

many players who are depended on didn't show up..... for me there were some obvious players who mail it in. the biggest guilty player who mailed it was Seabs......

Man !! he was doing well this season, now his performance against TPA, well it was a performance i saw from him last season. a pitiful performance. don't get me wrong, many players were guilty but none was as bad as Seabs.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Our systems in all 3 zones suck.

Our special teams systems suck

Our roster utilization sucks.

Who is responsible for this situation? :sarcasm:

Cam Ward stinks

Special teams stink

Defense is swiss cheese

when do we get Hughes?

How long will the organization turn a blind eye to what's going on?

Do ticket sales have to go way down for action to be taken?

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

Cam Ward stinks

Special teams stink

Defense is swiss cheese

when do we get Hughes?

I am going to defend Ward here some. Saying he stinks is a bit harsh. He is not excellent (obviously) - he is not very good either - also obvious. He is slightly below average as an NHL goalie (well below average relative to NHL starting goalies) --- but he does not stink. He has been wailed on by shot after shot this season - and high quality shot after high quality shot. When you have such a poor system in front of you and your D stinks (yes, I am comfortable saying that the D for the Hawks stinks) and you face the shots that Ward has faced, having a .900 save percentage would be beyond amazing. Wards stats look very, very poor but again, look what he has had to contend with. Ward is an OK backup. He cannot, however, hold up as a starter on a team with this poor a D and not have horrendous stats.

Reactions: Hakoon

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If I was Ward last night I would have ripped the entire team to pieces in the locker room after that second period. He faced the most extended, intense barrage of pressure in a period in NHL HISTORY. It was an embarrassment beyond belief, and he was amazing in that period to only let 3 goals in.

He is no great goalie but the play in front of him is historically bad.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If I was Ward last night I would have ripped the entire team to pieces in the locker room after that second period. He faced the most extended, intense barrage of pressure in a period in NHL HISTORY. It was an embarrassment beyond belief, and he was amazing in that period to only let 3 goals in.

He is no great goalie but the play in front of him is historically bad.
This. In spades. And to add to it is wasn't just the D-men. I fact, I believe it was the 2nd goal of the period Seabs and Gus had their men and were down in front of the net with the puck loose.

What were Kane and Schamltz doing? Off lollygagging it. I have another term for it but this is a family message board.

Hell, Pat & Eddie were ripping them as well.

I may be a rat bastard here, but as far as I'm concerned if today's practice is not a bag skate or relentless gauntlet drills for the skaters where the only way off the ice is on a gurney, I think Q is failing as a coach.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Sorry ... but ......... In any era of play .... Wards play has been POOR ........ not just against Tampa (facing 33 SOG in a period is ridiculous) .... 6 games worth of play so far ... he stinks ...... its what I expected of him

Good news ....... hopefully Cro is healthy the rest of the year

Goaltenders

PlayerGPGSWLGAGAASASVSV%SOMinOTLEGA
Cam Ward6631264.23227201.886036921
Corey Crawford221142.056864.941011701
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Sorry ... but ......... In any era of play .... Wards play has been POOR ........ not just against Tampa (facing 33 SOG in a period is ridiculous) .... 6 games worth of play so far ... he stinks ...... its what I expected of him

Goaltenders

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Of course no one is suggesting that Ward compares at all to Crow.

Ward is a serviceable backup that is a bit below average for a backup. he is what he is, but he does not stink. The numbers he has above do stink - but there is context for that. Ward has made many nice saves and has been a bit below OK --- he has been absolutely accosted by the opposition --- because our defensive system and our defense stinks - and the Hawks forwards help little. Any average backup (or, like Ward slightly below average backup) when forced into a starting role (like Ward was when Crow was gone) --- will have horrible numbers. That Crow has great numbers is testimony of just how special Crow is --- Crow has always been underrated --- the guy is great.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

Goaltenders

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
numbers look bad but ward played pretty good last night..

hawks lose 2nd game in regulation against a team thats 10x better...FIRE Q Its all his fault! THE SYSTEMS!! THE SYSTEMS!! The game has passed him by!

4-2-2 on the season with this roster (same or better than Bruins,Knights,Sharks ect..)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Goaltenders

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Coming into last night's game the 'hawks were allowing about 34.57 SA/GP. Ward was a .879. Not good at all, which I agree with.

He managed to put up a .907 last night (not spectacular my any means even though it's better than his usual). If the 'hawks were keeping to their already-abyssimal shot suppression, Ward would have only allowed 3 goals....instead of 5.

He saw 20 *more* shots that the 'hawks already bad SA/GP average. That's bad. That's very bad. In fact, it was bad enough that in one game it trebled up to 37.1 SA/GP.

Ward may not be helping matters, but let's be real here: Crawford playing at last year's clip would not have won us this game. Vladislav Tretiak would not have won us this game. A 4x6 cinderblock wall would have had a hard time winning us this game.

The real culprits for last night's fecal-fest were the skaters and their lack of playing any defense...pure and simple. Ward may be sub-par but that loss was not on him.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
41-16 were the scoring chances in 5z5 in favor oft TB...

Shows how bad we were...

They got 61 attempted shots off in 5x5 of which 55 were on net! Has anyone coached our guys to you know. ..get in the way?Block shots?Check the shooters before they can release? For every 60 shots we take we probably get only about 75-80 percent of them through on net not 90% of them like TB's ridiculous shot accuracy and ability to avoid blockages.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
numbers look bad but ward played pretty good last night..

hawks lose 2nd game in regulation against a team thats 10x better...FIRE Q Its all his fault! THE SYSTEMS!! THE SYSTEMS!! The game has passed him by!

4-2-2 on the season with this roster (same or better than Bruins,Knights,Sharks ect..)

Face it, man.

Q’s time with the Hawks has come and gone.

It’s been long enough

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Face it, man.

Q’s time with the Hawks has come and gone.

It’s been long enough
I know its coming lol but putting the blame on the coach for some of these things is ridiculous. 2 posts up--> has anyone coached these players to block shots? Whattt?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Complaining about Ward after last night’s debacle is pushing a narrative. He kept the team hanging around and for like a minute after the Schmaltz goal kept it a game.

Agreed. Ward was very shaky to begin the season, but he's been at least solid his last two starts. Legitimate criticisms about his signing and NMC aside, he hasn't remotely been the problem with this team as of late.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My only problem with Ward is that we could be getting this same goaltending from Forsberg, IMO. Then we would have 2.5mil in cap space on top of that to try and improve this team.

Ward is an OK back up at best, just like Forsberg was.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My only problem with Ward is that we could be getting this same goaltending from Forsberg, IMO. Then we would have 2.5mil in cap space on top of that to try and improve this team.

Ward is an OK back up at best, just like Forsberg was.
It's only a 1 year deal with Crow's future in doubt. We needed a veteran presence. The Manning deal was the bigger problem.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I believe Kunitz play was the direct result of Tampa's first two goals. WTH was he doing along the boards on Tampa's first goal? Then Kunitz was rewarded time on the power play? What is Q thinking?

I get everyone played badly last night except perhaps Saad and Fortin in the first 30 minutes. However, why is Hayden sitting and Kunitz getting even more playing time?

Our defense sucks. Forsling and Murphy better play well for this team to even have a chance. Not even Crow could have saved that train wreck last night. We were lucky Ward kept it to 5 goals before the empty netter.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I believe Kunitz play was the direct result of Tampa's first two goals. WTH was he doing along the boards on Tampa's first goal? Then Kunitz was rewarded time on the power play? What is Q thinking?

I get everyone played badly last night except perhaps Saad and Fortin in the first 30 minutes. However, why is Hayden sitting and Kunitz getting even more playing time?

Our defense sucks. Forsling and Murphy better play well for this team to even have a chance. Not even Crow could have saved that train wreck last night. We were lucky Ward kept it to 5 goals before the empty netter.

On top of all that I see the Chicagosports website has one of those fluff pieces today on Kunitz and his family moving to Chicago, one of those nonsense fluff articles they write for bad teams when they have nothing good to write about. Big picture with him sitting with the family, nice fluff.

And no, I havent read it......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese