GDT: 10-21-18 Chicago Smurfs vs Tampa Bay Snorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
On top of all that I see the Chicagosports website has one of those fluff pieces today on Kunitz and his family moving to Chicago, one of those nonsense fluff articles they write for bad teams when they have nothing good to write about. Big picture with him sitting with the family, nice fluff.

And no, I havent read it......
I can live with Kunitz on the 4th line. However, he's playing a lot and rewarded on the power play. What was all that about?!?! It made no sense.

The third line should be Fortin - Kampf - Saad (if he plays with intensity). End of the story.

If you want to stick Kunitz with Kruger and Hayden on the 4th line, fine by me.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The Hawks do not have the talent to make 2 effective power play units, they apparently don’t have the talent and strategy to make one. It really doesn’t matter who goes out there, we won’t score anyway.

They should probably put the 4th line on the PP and have them defend, heck we give up way more high quality short handed chances then we get.

Just put a defensive team out there to kill your own PP

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Okay, so you agree with @DisgruntledHawkFan that you should’ve included Toews in the group of players that are performing well so far.

I didn't say it was a list of players performing well so far if it was the list would be few players longer for sure.

That list simply the Hawks best 3 players last year it looks like nothing has changed so far this year if they keep playing the way they can I do not see how the Hawks can truly bottom out as they will win enough on their own.

If you want to add Toews to that list at 4 or 5 go ahead..he does deserve credit for a good start to the year...but it isn't like we haven't seen this before where he goes on white hot streaks for a few games in March but it does not last.

Hell, he is already in a 5 game goalless streak.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
The Hawks do not have the talent to make 2 effective power play units, they apparently don’t have the talent and strategy to make one. It really doesn’t matter who goes out there, we won’t score anyway.

They should probably put the 4th line on the PP and have them defend, heck we give up way more high quality short handed chances then we get.

Just put a defensive team out there to kill your own PP
Back in 2012 I believe we trotted out the usual suspect PP which was failing miserably, and the Q either in a stroke of momentary genious or a blind squirrel finding a nut sent out a PP unit made up of 4th liners and Steve Montador--among others on the slag-heap.

Which promptly scored.

While there's a ton to be said about our ineffective PP system, There's also the core guys looking for the "perfect" opportunity rather than grinding it out, scoring ugly, and of course getting the puck to the net.

Reactions: Sir Loin

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Nah...Toews too hot and cold already hasn't scored in five and pointless in last two.

He a clear 4th at best right now..there is nothing wrong with that.
Toews has created a ton of scoring opportunities for himself and linemates. Along with Kane, he has been our best player. Cat is feasting off of Toews' play.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I'm just calling it how it is..

He had a white hot start to the season and has now already cooled off a bit.

Does less than 10% of one season take away from the previous 3 crap seasons? No. It is simply too early to make any conclusions

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Does less than 10% of one season take away from the previous 3 crap seasons? No. It is simply too early to make any conclusions
I ripped on Toews the past year. Everyone knows that. However, I can even tell Toews is playing great this year. It's never been about the points with Toews when he plays well.

I'm calling it how it is. You're just looking up his box score.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I ripped on Toews the past year. Everyone knows that. However, I can even tell Toews is playing great this year. It's never been about the points with Toews when he plays well.

I'm calling it how it is. You're just looking up his box score.

I’m surprised he even looks at the box score before coming in here and criticizing Toews.

This is just a long-running bit of his.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

You're not calling it like it is if your not giving Toews credit for what he's done so far this season. He's playing a pivotal role in generating offense and there's three separate times I can count this season that he probably deserved a point on a play, but due to other players touching the puck after, he didn't (the Kane goal against St Louis was created due to chaos created in front of Allen by Toews, The beauty goal DeBrincat scored (the one with Kahun's priceless reaction) all happened because Toews forced a turnover and made a quick pass to Keith, and there was another one that only goes in because of Toews' net front presence).

Complaining that he has no goals in 5 games where he played elite level hockey is typical of who you are as a poster.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I have given him a ton of credit, I have said he had a hot start to the season.

Does that mean he is all of a sudden he is the Hawks savior and best player in the world? No..not at all he was on a hot streak and it far too early to draw any conclusions.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have given him a ton of credit, I have said he had a hot start to the season.

Does that mean he is all of a sudden he is the Hawks savior and best player in the world? No..not at all he was on a hot streak and it far too early to draw any conclusions.
A hot streak implies a lot of luck. Have you watched Toews play on and off the puck this year? He's a monster on the puck ... and creates turnovers on defense. That's Toews game. If he does that, the points will follow for his teammates.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nah...Toews too hot and cold already hasn't scored in five and pointless in last two.

He a clear 4th at best right now..there is nothing wrong with that.
He has not scored the last 2 games, yet scored a pt in every game previous to that. He has 10pts in 8 games, and is back to winning board battles, playing great D, and has a much better shot than previous years.

It's clear you haven't been watching anything but the score board. You're a joke.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He has not scored the last 2 games, yet scored a pt in every game previous to that. He has 10pts in 8 games, and is back to winning board battles, playing great D, and has a much better shot than previous years.

It's clear you haven't been watching anything but the score board. You're a joke.
Don't insult jokes like that. At least jokes are funny.

Hakoon

Oct 11, 2018
I am going to defend Ward here some. Saying he stinks is a bit harsh. He is not excellent (obviously) - he is not very good either - also obvious. He is slightly below average as an NHL goalie (well below average relative to NHL starting goalies) --- but he does not stink. He has been wailed on by shot after shot this season - and high quality shot after high quality shot. When you have such a poor system in front of you and your D stinks (yes, I am comfortable saying that the D for the Hawks stinks) and you face the shots that Ward has faced, having a .900 save percentage would be beyond amazing. Wards stats look very, very poor but again, look what he has had to contend with. Ward is an OK backup. He cannot, however, hold up as a starter on a team with this poor a D and not have horrendous stats.
Agree

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Ward's been good this year minus a bad period here and there. The only reason the Lightning didn't score 10+ goals last night was due to Ward. And one of the goals last night could have been whistled ... if any Hawk DMen could have helped Ward when he firmly stopped the puck against his pad and post.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
Ward's been good this year minus a bad period here and there. The only reason the Lightning didn't score 10+ goals last night was due to Ward. And one of the goals last night could have been whistled ... if any Hawk DMen could have helped Ward when he firmly stopped the puck against his pad and post.
I'm finally just getting over vertigo from watching the Hawk defence in their own zone from that 2nd. period.
Actually, from the last three years.
Time to change up the scheme/system and go back to old school. Total man on man in D zone and crowd one side and dump and chase with speed through centre zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->