GDT: 10/20 Detroit Red Wings @ Florida Panthers 7:00 EST

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I mean how could you not love Nyquist the way he broke into the NHL. I thought he was going to be a star. He seemed to never miss. Then his shooting percentage came back to normal and teams started to figure him out. But other than his one bad season two years ago he produced well worth his contract and stayed healthy. I’d take him back because I think he’d be willing to take a modest deal to stay here

Agreed. I still believe he could be a successful contributor on this team two/three to four years from now when the team is solid again.

He’s basically been a 50P guy (minus that one awful season) on pretty ***** Red Wings teams. But if he does want to leave for a cup, I wouldn’t blame him.

Though I really would welcome him back. I always felt like having him AND Tatar was redundant. But since we traded Tatar that opened a spot for other younger players I feel like. You need older guys to mesh with a younger group. Why go out and sign a worse off vet when we could keep Nyquist for maybe a relatively decent deal?

Let’s be real, there are other older players we should trade over him (I understand the return won’t be as good) and it’s not like we’ll be in need of picks for the next couple of years...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the Wings win that series they're likely to win another cup and it was because of Nyquist's mistake that they didn't.
You're free to feel however you like about Nyquist, but Detroit was already playing on borrowed time in that Chicago series, let alone having a real shot of getting another 8 playoff wins thereafter.

Two rounds of lightning in a bottle doesn't change that the realistic window had closed. Just like one great series against Tampa Bay doesn't mean Luke Glendening is a stud of a hockey player...it's a blip on the radar, which quickly returns to normal the majority of the time. Shoot, Edmonton made the Cup Finals in 2006, but clearly it wasn't the arrival of a new great team. Flukes happen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Agreed. I still believe he could be a successful contributor on this team two/three to four years from now when the team is solid again.

He’s basically been a 50P guy (minus that one awful season) on pretty ***** Red Wings teams. But if he does want to leave for a cup, I wouldn’t blame him.

Though I really would welcome him back. I always felt like having him AND Tatar was redundant. But since we traded Tatar that opened a spot for other younger players I feel like. You need older guys to mesh with a younger group. Why go out and sign a worse off vet when we could keep Nyquist for maybe a relatively decent deal?

Let’s be real, there are other older players we should trade over him (I understand the return won’t be as good)...
I can see your argument right up to this point.

...and it’s not like we’ll be in need of picks for the next couple of years...
But you lost me here. This team needs all the picks they can get for at least another 2-3 seasons. As good as several prospects have looked, statistically some will underwhelm, and some may bomb out altogether. It's just the math of it, so grab as many bites at the apple as possible.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I can see your argument right up to this point.

But you lost me here. This team needs all the picks they can get for at least another 2-3 seasons. As good as several prospects have looked, statistically some will underwhelm, and some may bomb out altogether. It's just the math of it, so grab as many bites at the apple as possible.

I mean, yes and no.

At some point, 3rd-5th round bites are kind of irrelevant. I get you want more opportunities, but we don't need guys who can become okay NHLers with a little bit of time. We need bites at the apple in remotely favorable positions to get an impact or have anything besides a super long shot at an impact player.

Essentially, if this were NHL 19, we should set our trade block as wanting 1st, 2nd, and in extreme cases 3rds. I'll be honest, I would be alright with letting a guy like Jensen walk rather than "get something for him" in the form of a 6th or 7th round pick at this point. If we were to get more mid round picks with the idea of packaging some to move up to get a better chance at a guy in the late first or have ammo to go get a guy tumbling down the draft board, I'd be more on board with that too. But to just get a bunch of 4th-7th from trading TDL castoffs? No thanks.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Do you think Hronek will be sent down soon? He looked good and should be in their top 6 imo.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Do you think Hronek will be sent down soon? He looked good and should be in their top 6 imo.

I actually think he should be. Not because he’s been terrible or anything, but I’d rather he were important in GR than a 3rd pairing level guy in Detroit on a vile team.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I actually think he should be. Not because he’s been terrible or anything, but I’d rather he were important in GR than a 3rd pairing level guy in Detroit on a vile team.

when Hronek has played he's been getting ~20min with PP time

I dont see why you consider that an unimportant role, seems pretty much ideal to me

Reactions: Sentinel

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
when Hronek has played he's been getting ~20min with PP time

I dont see why you consider that an unimportant role, seems pretty much ideal to me

Maybe I'm putting too much on it, but what I saw in the Montreal game wasn't a guy who was really on top of it. It was a young player doggy-paddling to stay above the surface. I'd rather send him down just a bit early rather than keep him up and "let him fail" then send him down.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Good:

The Larkin line was good all night
Thomas Vanek seemed like he had his best overall game with several nice setups, obviously his goal
I thought AA had a decent game, eventhough he didn't finish his chances
Rasmussen has looked a lot more confident with and without the puck the past 2 games, maybe sitting was a good move for him

The Bad: (Or downright Ugly)

The tying (not sure I spelled that right) goal, WHAT on EARTH was that by Howard, redirected slightly or not, that has to be stopped with a minute or so to go
Rasmussen's disallowed goal, MAN I HATE THE NHL's NEW BREATH ON A GOALIE, GOALIE INTERFERENCE, WHY THE HECK DO WE HAVE CREASES ANYHOW?

Wondering:

Why have Hronek up with the team as a 21 year old and have him sit 3 straight games and counting? Really should play him at least semi regular or just send him down so he can play a lot!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Blashill sitting Hronek over Hicketts is asinine. Hronek hasn’t been great or anything, but Hicketts has been straight up getting abused routinely.

Doesn’t give me much faith the guy can evaluate his players well, that’s for sure.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Wouldn’t Hicketts have to go through waivers to be sent down to the AHL still? I’m pretty sure the team is spacing out the rookies 9 NHL games to get a better assessment before burning an entry year on their deal. Right now Cholo is a lock and once Green is back it will be hard to squeeze in Hronek and get him PP time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wouldn’t Hicketts have to go through waivers to be sent down to the AHL still? I’m pretty sure the team is spacing out the rookies 9 NHL games to get a better assessment before burning an entry year on their deal. Right now Cholo is a lock and once Green is back it will be hard to squeeze in Hronek and get him PP time.
Assuming everybody stays healthy, but I don't expect that will be the case.

For now, I view Green and Cholowski as roller coasters that we live with and are locked into the lineup...Daley and Ericsson as stabilizing vets...and the last two spots rotating between DeKeyser, Jensen, Hronek, and Kronwall. (Ideally, Jensen and Hronek grab those spots and don't let go, with DDK as 7 and Kronwall a healthy scratch, but I don't have my hopes up that high, so I'll settle for a rotation.)

Hicketts is an AHL player, so the sooner he stays there, the better.

But as for the ELC on rookies, I couldn't care less. If they're developing here, keep them here. If they're sinking more than swimming, send them down. But finances shouldn't dictate the roster unless performance is a wash and the dollars act as a tiebreaker.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Assum

ing everybody stays healthy, but I don't expect that will be the case.

For now, I view Green and Cholowski as roller coasters that we live with and are locked into the lineup...Daley and Ericsson as stabilizing vets...and the last two spots rotating between DeKeyser, Jensen, Hronek, and Kronwall. (Ideally, Jensen and Hronek grab those spots and don't let go, with DDK as 7 and Kronwall a healthy scratch, but I don't have my hopes up that high, so I'll settle for a rotation.)

Hicketts is an AHL player, so the sooner he stays there, the better.

But as for the ELC on rookies, I couldn't care less. If they're developing here, keep them here. If they're sinking more than swimming, send them down. But finances shouldn't dictate the roster unless performance is a wash and the dollars act as a tiebreaker.

all the defense prospects are too old for elc slides anyways(the ones that are getting games anyways,if the team randomly decided to give McIsaac 9 games for whatever reason or something he would be eligible for it)

so not only should it not matter it's not even a thing as far as the defense goes

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hicketts is waiver exempt.

I like what Hicketts brings, but subbing him for Hronek might be good once in a while.
Based on the half game I saw against the Panthers, now would be a good time to bring in Hronek. Hicketts was having a noticeably bad night.

I still don''t know what he was thinking on the Yandle goal.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I don't care how many minutes he played...it was him sleeping along the boards and he didn't wake up until David Bolland knocked him to the ice with a big hit...only a couple of seconds later Seabrook ended the series. Brendan Smith wasn't even on the ice. Ericsson and Kronwall were but there was nothing they could have done. That one was 100% on Nyquist and it didn't bother him the slightest bit. At least he's still playing the same way.

Are you his therapist? You sound awfully sure about his perceived indignance.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Based on the half game I saw against the Panthers, now would be a good time to bring in Hronek. Hicketts was having a noticeably bad night.

I still don''t know what he was thinking on the Yandle goal.

It's Hicketts' fault that the puck went in past Howard? Also, he has less than 15 GP at the NHL level, is there no learning curve allowed for dmen, I don't hear all these complaints about Hronek and Sulak who made many mistakes so far. He was a little off where he was, and then basically caught up to Yandle, who fired the puck past Howard, no blame on any player there, it is the goalies job to stop the puck.

Reactions: Hinterland

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It's Hicketts' fault that the puck went in past Howard? Also, he has less than 15 GP at the NHL level, is there no learning curve allowed for dmen, I don't hear all these complaints about Hronek and Sulak who made many mistakes so far. He was a little off where he was, and then basically caught up to Yandle, who fired the puck past Howard, no blame on any player there, it is the goalies job to stop the puck.
It's Hicketts fault that he chose to doublecover Daley's man instead of covering the guy blatantly wide open. It's pretty obvious who his defensive responsibility was.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's Hicketts fault that he chose to double cover Daley's man instead of covering the guy blatantly wide open. It's pretty obvious who his defensive responsibility was.

Yes, but every d-man on our team makes mistakes like this, Hicketts doesn't do this any more than anyone else. Also, it didn't lead to a goal against, because of his blown coverage, as Howard should have really come up with this one, it wasn't the World's greatest wrister ever.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yes, but every d-man on our team makes mistakes like this, Hicketts doesn't do this any more than anyone else. Also, it didn't lead to a goal against, because of his blown coverage, as Howard should have really come up with this one, it wasn't the World's greatest wrister ever.
It literally led to a grade A scoring chance that ended up in the back of our net. It was terrible defensive coverage.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad