GDT: 10/20 Detroit Red Wings @ Florida Panthers 7:00 EST

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Umm what? Nyquist was a 3rd liner barely getting any minutes and being productive at that time. If anyone blew that series it was Brendan Smith. He was terrible and single handedly costing goals against. No idea how anyone can think Nyquist cost the series. Those playoff games were like his first 10 games in the nhl

I don't care how many minutes he played...it was him sleeping along the boards and he didn't wake up until David Bolland knocked him to the ice with a big hit...only a couple of seconds later Seabrook ended the series. Brendan Smith wasn't even on the ice. Ericsson and Kronwall were but there was nothing they could have done. That one was 100% on Nyquist and it didn't bother him the slightest bit. At least he's still playing the same way.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Welp. His possession numbers have been solid, he didn't look bad last night. I think it's a matter of time.

i liked his game yesterday as well. Skated hard, used his body and got off 4 shots in 8 minutes. I like blashhills decision to send him this message and i think he will produce next week and build some confidence. To be honest, his games against boston and montreal were absolutley pathetc and i would have benched him. i was furious about his lack of everything

he needs to skate - when he does that, he is a pretty good and fast skater who excels in up and down games, because he has some time to get his shot off on the rush. When he is engaged, he is good on the boards. I just want him to succeed, he can be such a good player

But with all the talk about big tony, i want to say i am impressed by our other problem child. AA is flying up and down the ice, forechecks, play intense and physical. Of course, his decision making is sometimes interesting, but when he is this engaged and plays with the right linemates, he is exciting to watch!

(and its not like the veterans always show high hockey IQ. Kronwalls decisions this season are rookie calibre terrible, vanek has some brainfarts as well, as does nielsen)

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I liked the guy until he single handedly lost the 2013 playoff series against Chicago. A driven player would have adjusted his game accordingly and would have worked on his weaknesses. Nyquist didn't give a ****. That was the last chance for the Redwings to win a cup and that lazy brat had nothing better to do than to start daydreaming in OT of game 7. If you ask me he can get lost.

That's a big ol' yikes from me.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I liked the guy until he single handedly lost the 2013 playoff series against Chicago. A driven player would have adjusted his game accordingly and would have worked on his weaknesses. Nyquist didn't give a ****. That was the last chance for the Redwings to win a cup and that lazy brat had nothing better to do than to start daydreaming in OT of game 7. If you ask me he can get lost.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

He always scored nice goals...made nice offensive plays. I never questioned his ability to do that. However, he never commited to a solid allround game...not even after single handedly losing the series in OT. That to me was a big disappointment. Most hockey players would have worked extra hard to make sure this never happens again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He always scored nice goals...made nice offensive plays. I never questioned his ability to do that. However, he never commited to a solid allround game...not even after single handedly losing the series in OT. That to me was a big disappointment. Most hockey players would have worked extra hard to make sure this never happens again.

So he should have had a complete overall game with no flaws as a rookie?

Well, ok then...

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The only real knock I have on Nyquist is his gpg and ppg playoff average is half of his regular season average.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So he should have had a complete overall game with no flaws as a rookie?

Well, ok then...

No. That's not what I wrote. I'm disappointed because he doesn't seem to care. His allround game hasn't improved the slightest bit. Not sure he even realized what he destroyed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No. That's not what I wrote. I'm disappointed because he doesn't seem to care. His allround game hasn't improved the slightest bit. Not sure he even realized what he destroyed.

If you mean you are hoping for more NOW, I can understand that. I thought he would get stronger on the puck and offer more as well.

But your original point that he cost us a playoff series in 2013 is just false.

Reactions: NickH8

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you mean you are hoping for more NOW, I can understand that. I thought he would get stronger on the puck and offer more as well.

But your original point that he cost us a playoff series in 2013 is just false.

I don't think it is. It was him who made the mistake before Seabrook scored the goal. After making a mistake like that, pretty much everybody else would have been driven to improve his allround game. Nyquist obviously wasn't which is a big disappointment for me. There's been zero progress and it's not because of a lack of talent.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't think it is. It was him who made the mistake before Seabrook scored the goal. After making a mistake like that, pretty much everybody else would have been driven to improve his allround game. Nyquist obviously wasn't which is a big disappointment for me. There's been zero progress and it's not because of a lack of talent.

I'd have to disagree. He's become a much better all-around player. He's peaked offensively tho.

Reactions: NickH8

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Wings were actually in good shape on Seabrooks GWG. It was a 1 on 2 coming across the blue line and unlucky deflection. Wings had no business getting that game to OT anyways they were badly outplayed

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009

You think abdelkader is a great player, so....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You think abdelkader is a great player, so....

He's a great player to have. Not a superstar but a very serviceable guy...able to play all positions in all situations and able to play big minutes if needed. The perfect role model and middle six guy for a rebuild. I'm a fan. Wasn't always the case but his last few years won me over.

Wings were actually in good shape on Seabrooks GWG. It was a 1 on 2 coming across the blue line and unlucky deflection. Wings had no business getting that game to OT anyways they were badly outplayed

That'a 100% correct but it still was a bad turnover and it was Nyquist who lost the puck.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No one player single handedly loses a playoff series. It also seems odd to use one instance from 5 years ago as a case against a player today.

Nyquist has been one of the better veterans so far this season when most of them have been disappointing. Hopefully he has a great season and waives his NTC at the deadline.

Reactions: TheMule93

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No one player single handedly loses a playoff series. It also seems odd to use one instance from 5 years ago as a case against a player today.

Nyquist has been one of the better veterans so far this season when most of them have been disappointing. Hopefully he has a great season and waives his NTC at the deadline.

It was a stupid and careless turnover...one I'd have excused him as a rookie had he worked hard to make up for it. That fact that he didn't is what annoys me. If the Wings win that series they're likely to win another cup and it was because of Nyquist's mistake that they didn't. The way he's playing he doesn't exactly give the impression that he's aware of it or learned anything from it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It was a stupid and careless turnover...one I'd have excused him as a rookie had he worked hard to make up for it. That fact that he didn't is what annoys me. If the Wings win that series they're likely to win another cup and it was because of Nyquist's mistake that they didn't. The way he's playing he doesn't exactly give the impression that he's aware of it or learned anything from it.
That's a huge leap from them winning that series to winning another Cup considering they still had to go through LA and Boston.

That aside, what evidence could you possibly see that would convince you he's worked on it? I don't quite understand how he could play now that would somehow show he's learned from a mistake from 5 years ago.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's a huge leap from them winning that series to winning another Cup considering they still had to go through LA and Boston.

That aside, what evidence could you possibly see that would convince you he's worked on it? I don't quite understand how he could play now that would somehow show he's learned from a mistake from 5 years ago.

He's still the exact same player. There's been literally zero progress. Do you think he improved in any way?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I just want to give a proper shout out to Nyquist. This is likely his final season with us, and he's been my favorite player not named Zetterberg, Larkin, and Datsyuk this decade for us.

When the Goose went extremely loose in I think 2014? That was one of the most exciting stretches of hockey in recent memory for us, and I'm going to miss the guy when he's traded elsewhere.

I mean I want him resigned, however, that’s just me most likely. I feel like he’d be a good guy for Larkin to have around, and the season so far shows that.

But if it is his last season here then farewell to him. He’s also been one of my favorite players as of recently.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Babcock didn't do us any favors when he allowed Quenville to so easily move Toews away from his match-up with Zetterberg.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I mean I want him resigned, however, that’s just me most likely. I feel like he’d be a good guy for Larkin to have around, and the season so far shows that.

But if it is his last season here then farewell to him. He’s also been one of my favorite players as of recently.
I mean how could you not love Nyquist the way he broke into the NHL. I thought he was going to be a star. He seemed to never miss. Then his shooting percentage came back to normal and teams started to figure him out. But other than his one bad season two years ago he produced well worth his contract and stayed healthy. I’d take him back because I think he’d be willing to take a modest deal to stay here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad