GDT: 10/20 Detroit Red Wings @ Florida Panthers 7:00 EST

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The Mantha panic is totally out there imo. Guy played well the first four games of the season, started out snake but, and dipped with the rest of the team. Such is a young player going through a rebuild.

All this complaining about him so much reminds me of the board with Franzen back in his heyday.
I'm disappointed with Mantha because I was really hoping he'd show continued progress rather than settle in as a 50-60 point complimentary winger like the early going looks like. But I would give him a little time, see where he is after 20-30 games. Slow starts happen to lots of players.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
From the 2 florida games I got a weird vibe of awkward tension between Mickey and Ken. Like Mickey would say something Mickeyish- but even more Mickeyish than normal- then Ken would flat out disagree and they'd argue a bit. I guess friendly banter, but I dunno, I got weird vibes from it. Maybe it's just me.

All I've ever wanted was for AA to be Pavel Bure but I have to finally come out and admit that he makes some terrible decisions. This frustrates me. I mean I still love him when he's competing but I think I've just about given up on his hockey brain. ):

Absolutely agree. Thought Mick truly annoyed Ken a couple of times. Especially concerning the incident involving Matheson slamming Elias Pettersson to the ice.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
The Mantha panic is totally out there imo. Guy played well the first four games of the season, started out snake but, and dipped with the rest of the team. Such is a young player going through a rebuild.

All this complaining about him so much reminds me of the board with Franzen back in his heyday.

Completely agree. I’m obviously biased because I think highly of him, but he’ll explode eventually and find his game.

But he is struggling atm. It’ll pass with time and confidence

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Larkin with 6 take aways.

Cholowski on the ice for all 4 Wings goals, and Hicketts' screw up.

Nice to see his PP unit was used first all night. He was also first defenseman on the ice in OT.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
last year mantha came out blazing hot, but at about the 20 game mark he stopped trying and his offense dried up

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I understand Blashill wants to use Hickitts primarily for PK, but Hronek needs to play. Cholowski needs to learn the PK, it will help his over game. The press box is not going to help Hronek's game.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm disappointed with Mantha because I was really hoping he'd show continued progress rather than settle in as a 50-60 point complimentary winger like the early going looks like. But I would give him a little time, see where he is after 20-30 games. Slow starts happen to lots of players.

Slow starts definitely happen, but the most concerning thing to me is that Mantha doesn't create any offense by himself. Now that his lack of effort has moved him from Larkin's line, he's with Nielsen or Ehn, two guys who won't be able to create offense for him.

I think Mantha is more of a 45 point guy rather than a 60 point guy. Right now (and portions of last year) he couldn't be trusted in OT and didn't play on the 1st PP, this is very concerning for a 24 year old since his prime statistical years are basically over. Mantha's 48 points last year seems like it'll be the high end. In a league where speed is generally the deciding factor, Mantha doesn't skate enough to be able to be a big time contributor.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I understand Blashill wants to use Hickitts primarily for PK, but Hronek needs to play. Cholowski needs to learn the PK, it will help his over game. The press box is not going to help Hronek's game.
Cholo already leads all rookie D in the league in TOI/GP so no need to rush him into even more icetime by playing PK.

Agree I want Hronek playing though. I don't see Hicketts as much superior in any way to Hronek.

Slow starts definitely happen, but the most concerning thing to me is that Mantha doesn't create any offense by himself. Now that his lack of effort has moved him from Larkin's line, he's with Nielsen or Ehn, two guys who won't be able to create offense for him.

I think Mantha is more of a 45 point guy rather than a 60 point guy. Right now (and portions of last year) he couldn't be trusted in OT and didn't play on the 1st PP, this is very concerning for a 24 year old since his prime statistical years are basically over. Mantha's 48 points last year seems like it'll be the high end. In a league where speed is generally the deciding factor, Mantha doesn't skate enough to be able to be a big time contributor.
I don't feel that way about him at all, but I guess my opinion could drop if he keeps being mostly invisible and puts up a ~40 point season. Still think he is more likely to settle in at a level where is streaky and frustrating, but comfortably gets at least 50-60 points per season. Too much talent to peak at ~45 points.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
last year mantha came out blazing hot, but at about the 20 game mark he stopped trying and his offense dried up
I remember he had a very good fight and it affects him somehow and he cooled down After season ended he said that he like to take boxing lessons and about couple weeks ago he said that he did not take any lessons. I think all his problems in his head

Reactions: TheMule93

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Absolutely agree. Thought Mick truly annoyed Ken a couple of times. Especially concerning the incident involving Matheson slamming Elias Pettersson to the ice.
Yup. Ken was trying to be diplomatic and Mickey was speaking hard truths. Hopefully Ken can loosen up a bit because if they ever butt heads for real only one of them is irreplaceable and its not Ken.

The exchange about the Matheson WWE incident in particular is telling since Mickey himself had a very promising career cut short due to back injuries and yet has no problem with it. I think Ken was out of bounds to argue that point, even saying "no, no" in the background while Mickey was talking, since he never played in the league himself.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So we got first win, that didn't make any fill better about this team. We played tired team, and got lucky in ot . Larkin got wings who are playing hard and he had the best game so far this season. That is about it. #2 is to small for D, #21 had good and bad, #8 is Cleary2.0.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
From the 2 florida games I got a weird vibe of awkward tension between Mickey and Ken. Like Mickey would say something Mickeyish- but even more Mickeyish than normal- then Ken would flat out disagree and they'd argue a bit. I guess friendly banter, but I dunno, I got weird vibes from it. Maybe it's just me.

All I've ever wanted was for AA to be Pavel Bure but I have to finally come out and admit that he makes some terrible decisions. This frustrates me. I mean I still love him when he's competing but I think I've just about given up on his hockey brain. ):
He is more like Maxim Afinogenov. Great speed, good moves, questionable effort, terrible hockey IQ.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yup. Ken was trying to be diplomatic and Mickey was speaking hard truths. Hopefully Ken can loosen up a bit because if they ever butt heads for real only one of them is irreplaceable and its not Ken.

The exchange about the Matheson WWE incident in particular is telling since Mickey himself had a very promising career cut short due to back injuries and yet has no problem with it. I think Ken was out of bounds to argue that point, even saying "no, no" in the background while Mickey was talking, since he never played in the league himself.

I mean I understand we all love Redmond, but Daniels has been doing this for 21 years here and Redmond is on the verge of retirement. So.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do think it is time to give Rasmussen a shot with Larkin and Nyquist. Both are playmakers and Rasmussen can finish.

He might need another step in his skating. I thought that is why they wound up removing Bertuzzi for Helm. Larkin and Nyquist play an extremely high tempo game when they are together in my opinion.

Now I hope Ras can get there in terms of a year or two, if AA was a worker and a good forechecker he would be an obvious fit.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I just want to give a proper shout out to Nyquist. This is likely his final season with us, and he's been my favorite player not named Zetterberg, Larkin, and Datsyuk this decade for us.

When the Goose went extremely loose in I think 2014? That was one of the most exciting stretches of hockey in recent memory for us, and I'm going to miss the guy when he's traded elsewhere.

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He might need another step in his skating. I thought that is why they wound up removing Bertuzzi for Helm. Larkin and Nyquist play an extremely high tempo game when they are together in my opinion.

Now I hope Ras can get there in terms of a year or two, if AA was a worker and a good forechecker he would be an obvious fit.
I agree, but supposedly he has the work ethic. I just think it would be a good test to see if he can play the game at that level

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Mickey is a lovable homer, but there is zero place for that nonsense in the NHL. Old time hockey is gone for good reason.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I just want to give a proper shout out to Nyquist. This is likely his final season with us, and he's been my favorite player not named Zetterberg, Larkin, and Datsyuk this decade for us.

When the Goose went extremely loose in I think 2013? That was one of the most exciting stretches of hockey in recent memory for us, and I'm going to miss the guy when he's traded elsewhere.

Still one of my favorite goals ever when he blew by Chara from a standstill and went roofdaddy on Rask.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

When the Goose went extremely loose in I think 2013? That was one of the most exciting stretches of hockey in recent memory for us, and I'm going to miss the guy when he's traded elsewhere.

I liked the guy until he single handedly lost the 2013 playoff series against Chicago. A driven player would have adjusted his game accordingly and would have worked on his weaknesses. Nyquist didn't give a shit. That was the last chance for the Redwings to win a cup and that lazy brat had nothing better to do than to start daydreaming in OT of game 7. If you ask me he can get lost.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I liked the guy until he single handedly lost the 2013 playoff series against Chicago. A driven player would have adjusted his game accordingly and would have worked on his weaknesses. Nyquist didn't give a ****. That was the last chance for the Redwings to win a cup and that lazy brat had nothing better to do than to start daydreaming in OT of game 7. If you ask me he can get lost.
Umm what? Nyquist was a 3rd liner barely getting any minutes and being productive at that time. If anyone blew that series it was Brendan Smith who was a complete train wreck. No idea how anyone can think Nyquist cost the series. Those playoff games were like his first 10 games in the nhl. That 3rd line of Nyquist-Anderson-Bruner was actually great for the wings and without them they don’t beat the ducks

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I liked the guy until he single handedly lost the 2013 playoff series against Chicago. A driven player would have adjusted his game accordingly and would have worked on his weaknesses. Nyquist didn't give a ****. That was the last chance for the Redwings to win a cup and that lazy brat had nothing better to do than to start daydreaming in OT of game 7. If you ask me he can get lost.

He was playing 13 min a night in 2013. He didn’t cost us anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad