GDT: 10/17/2014 - Minnesota Wild @ Anaheim Ducks - 9 PM CT / 5 AM FIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We care because it was a total dick move, that's why.

Meh, as I said as long as we beat them the next game, it doesn't matter. Why get worked up over something so minor? If Granlund got injured? Sure. If Kesler tried hitting him in the head? Sure. It was a charge. They made the call, let's focus on the next game and stop fretting over something so minor here. So, Kesler is a dick. We know that. Who cares? He didn't injure anyone or try to take someone's head off or legs off. He just made an unnecessary hit and in the grand scheme of things, it's hockey. It's going to be intense. They are going to be questionable hits.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Both ducks goals was were generated by error of Dumba, at first he was totally out of his place playing deep wing and second he stumbled puck right from your own net. Send him down immediately.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Both ducks goals was were generated by error of Dumba, at first he was totally out of his place playing deep wing and second he stumbled puck right from your own net. Send him down immediately.

Not until we has a few more games and continues to make errors.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I saw the first Colorado game and thought Dumba looked quite ok defensively (with Folin). You could see some errors of course, but nothing major. In this game, where the competition was obviously harder, he looked hasty and shaky again. Just like a year ago. So it's still hard to say. He needs time.

Also think that Pominville was little off.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It seems like the whole team has issues finding the tape. Passes ended nearly always in the skates.
I was lying in bed an yelling at my iPad.:rant:
That, besides the two unnecessary goals, annoys me most. Thank you Dumba.
Yes, refs, too...like always, when we didn't win.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It seems like the whole team has issues finding the tape. Passes ended nearly always in the skates.
I was lying in bed an yelling at my iPad.:rant:
That, besides the two unnecessary goals, annoys me most. Thank you Dumba.
Yes, refs, too...like always, when we didn't win.

A lot of the trouble with the puck can probably be explained in large part by the extraordinarily bad ice.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
After couple hours of sleep, a little recap. A very frustrating game with refs taking couple questionable calls. Andersen was very good from the Ducks and Vatanen is really good at bringing up the puck. I think the ice was our worst enemy tonight, combined with the fact that Pommer and Vanek are really Brodziak-bitten currently. Even Spurgeon seemed to miss everything. We have to be better tomorrow and bring a bit more physical edge vs Kings. I would also waive Ballard asap and depending on the next 6 games, see how Dumba fares up. Dumba seems really shaky still defensively, but if paired with someone stable it should be okay. Kuemper is still really good.

Sometimes these reeeeeeeeally frustrating losses come, but at least I personally think we were the better team and are doing just fine. Cant wait for the Kings game! (And see them dive and be generally *****es)

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Looked like a pre-season game to me.

- California and ice does not go well together.
- First line was terrible
- Koivu was bad, Ballard very shaky and Dumba with a couple costly mistakes.
- Vanek good
- Kuemper good

All in all, a very down tempo game until the equaliser. Should've won. Well, onto the next one.

Last edited:

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Looked like a pre-season game to me.

- California and ice does not go well together.
- First line was terrible
- Koivu was bad, Ballard very shaky and Dumba with a couple costly mistakes.
- Vanek good
- Kuemper good

All in all, a very down tempo game until the equaliser. Should've won. Well, onto the next one.

Only watched last half of the game and thought they were just great..

matt55014

Jan 31, 2013
Central MN
Haven't posted in a long time but I wanted to say something about this game....

I thought the team played pretty good. Nothing like the two previous games, but I think the opponent is partly to blame for that. The Wild has shown they can dominate against an inferior defensive corps, Colorado. In Anaheim they were up against a much bigger and faster defensive corps, not to mention better defensive forwards. They weren't able to enter the offensive zone with speed like they could against Colorado which caused a lot more dumping and chasing. Dumping and chasing can work, but the Ducks defense was pretty good at retrievals last night.

Our passing was not nearly as crisp either. I'm not sure if it was the bad California ice or if the guys were just off a little. Like another poster above mentioned "lots of passes to the skates."

Obviously Dumba and Ballard had rough games. I think Dumba could be a very good player in this league but I would like to see him playing big minutes and situations in Iowa until he looks comfortable. Hopefully Folin and the Processor look decent as a third pair Sunday so we can ride them out for a while. They play a safer game. Our third d-pairing was a big difference in the outcome of the game.

Was the game a little chippy last night? Sure. Did all calls go our way? No. There are going to be games like that in the future too.

I think the Wild do a great job by not playing into the goonery most of the time, because we are not good at it. Seems like when we do fight back we always get the extra penalty and the momentum shifts the other way.

I thought the Kessler hit on Granlund was pretty dumb. At least it was somewhat clean and didn't hit his melon too bad. But I would like to see some of our big guys, Coyle, Nino, Koivu, 4th liners, playing more physical by finishing checks on the opponents smaller skill guys. (doesnt seem like the ducks, kings, or blues have any of those players though now that I am typing this). Other teams seem to really focus on our younger smaller players a lot.

Sorry for the long post. Since I only post once a year I figured I better get my money's worth. Most of what I said has already been said by other posters, but I wanted to get it out there again.

Beat the Kings!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Why does Zucker get a pass for firing the puck directly into Dumba's skates? Really bad pass from him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I thought they played well through two periods, but obviously struggling to finish, which is troubling.

That second line isn't doing much for me. I like the first and third and obviously Zucker on the fourth, who is the only person to score on the second line despite only playing five shifts there.

The PP looked okay at times but then they fell into bad habits. Trying to make too many moves and getting too cute rather than moving the puck with a purpose. And obviously the shortie.

I thought Kuemper played his best game of the year, oddly enough. Great rebound control and several big saves.

Scandella was sensational. Ballard was a complete disaster. Dumba was pretty shaky a lot of the time. I don't know that he's ready for big time yet.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Meh, as I said as long as we beat them the next game, it doesn't matter. Why get worked up over something so minor? If Granlund got injured? Sure. If Kesler tried hitting him in the head? Sure. It was a charge. They made the call, let's focus on the next game and stop fretting over something so minor here. So, Kesler is a dick. We know that. Who cares? He didn't injure anyone or try to take someone's head off or legs off. He just made an unnecessary hit and in the grand scheme of things, it's hockey. It's going to be intense. They are going to be questionable hits.

It's the action not the result that should matter. It was a totally unnecessary hit at the last second that fortunately didn't injure anyone.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Just re-watched that second goal a few times. Zucker's pass was way off and created the issue. But Dumba gave up on the play right away, turning late and coasting back into position, leaving Ballard all alone with two guys in front. He could have came back to tie up Perry, or at least make an attempt. If I'm assigning blame, 80% Zucker, 20% Dumba.

First goal I think was 50-50 Suter and Dumba. Dumba got stripped carrying the puck along the wall, then turned around and again kind of floated through the zone rather than reading the play and getting back to cover the other point. Suter also didn't see Cogliano breaking which is why he didn't peel off like he should have.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So... I fell asleep with two minutes left. :shakehead I did mention that I hate the stupid late starts earlier in the game. Glad that no one's hurt after the scrum at the end (saw the gif on one of the last few pages).

I think Vanek's had some great chances, so I'm not really worried at all he hasn't gotten one yet. Otherwise Kuemper played great again.

Also agree that Ballard needs to sit.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I wonder if Ballard would be better fit with Folin? Also, we have three guys in Iowa I'd like to see given a shot in that 3rd pairing with Folin/Dumba: Olofsson, Gelinas and Falk. All of them are lefties, two of them are offense-orientated PMD and one of them is a stay-at home D. Falk - Dumba would be the next pairing I'd try, simply because Falk has NHL experience. It just might work.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I wonder if Ballard would be better fit with Folin? Also, we have three guys in Iowa I'd like to see given a shot in that 3rd pairing with Folin/Dumba: Olofsson, Gelinas and Falk. All of them are lefties, two of them are offense-orientated PMD and one of them is a stay-at home D. Falk - Dumba would be the next pairing I'd try, simply because Falk has NHL experience. It just might work.

I am guessing that all three will see at least a game or two this season. Gelinas and Falk moreso than Olofsson, but even he will show up soon enough.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
/shrug So they made the right call; charging. Meh. Who cares. If we win the next time we face them, all the better.

This kind of got me thinking. If a player gets suspended he shouldn't be able to play in the next game against the team he committed the foul against. Rather than just punishing the team who committed the foul and then giving the next team they play an advantage.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I kinda hope Kelser plays. I know the Wild aren't a 'tough' team but I loved Parise's response last night to go right after Kelser and had the whole Ducks team not jumped on him I think we probably would've seen him fight. Pommer and Granny jumped right in too. I think the Wild need to respond in the next game. No they don't need to cheap shot Kelser or take out one of Anaheim's players, but somebody should challenge kelser (Coyle/Prosser/Nino/Cooke/etc) and send a message that we aren't going to lay down and let other teams take liberties.

It pumps the team up too. Had that whole incident happened at the end of the second period or there was going to be overtime I think we would have come out really fired up seeing Parise stand up for a teammate and doing dirty work isn't expected of him. Guys like Coyle and Nino need to learn how to fight IMO so they can protect themselves if the need arises. Coyle certainly made Getzlaf think twice last night as well as Landeskog in Colorado.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I kinda hope Kelser plays. I know the Wild aren't a 'tough' team but I loved Parise's response last night to go right after Kelser and had the whole Ducks team not jumped on him I think we probably would've seen him fight. Pommer and Granny jumped right in too. I think the Wild need to respond in the next game. No they don't need to cheap shot Kelser or take out one of Anaheim's players, but somebody should challenge kelser (Coyle/Prosser/Nino/Cooke/etc) and send a message that we aren't going to lay down and let other teams take liberties.

It pumps the team up too. Had that whole incident happened at the end of the second period or there was going to be overtime I think we would have come out really fired up seeing Parise stand up for a teammate and doing dirty work isn't expected of him. Guys like Coyle and Nino need to learn how to fight IMO so they can protect themselves if the need arises. Coyle certainly made Getzlaf think twice last night as well as Landeskog in Colorado.

Its one of those instances where I wish the NHL would send the message rather than the Wild. When something like that happens it shouldnt be up to the team to take matters into their own hands. It should be the NHL who says 'we got this' and hands out the punishment. The Wild should just be focused on playing their game.

Sadly thats not going to happen so I understand the call for someone to challenge Kesler physically.

Billy Mays Here*

I thought it was kinda sad that even the Anaheim crowd sounded louder and more engaged than ours normally does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad