GDT: 10/17/2014 - Minnesota Wild @ Anaheim Ducks - 9 PM CT / 5 AM FIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
zcgmnx.png

The Season Prediction Thread - Predict the game here!
puujgj.png

njgorf.png
okxiny.png

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I like your GDT layout. Really clean, yet looks good and stylish.

Here's hoping that we can continue our winning ways.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hopefully they are firing on all cylinders again tonight. Interested to see what Fontaine does to that second line!

Predicted a low scoring 2-1 "come back to earth" type loss in the prediction thread. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Felt like a whole new off-season waiting for this game :laugh:

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
It's their home opener more like 9:20. Think 9 is bad try living on the east coast! Have a feeling we are going to get trumped tonight.

Like the graphics SC.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I'm very interested to see how the Wild fair against the Ducks. Anaheim has a very different make-up than Colorado. Their D pairings are very balanced between puck-movers/offensive-minded D and physical/stay at home types whereas Colorado seemed to lack discipline and general execution of assignments. We controlled the puck a lot in the offensive zone against them with our cycle. PPG line in particular. This is a game where I believe Nino and Coyle really need to be a net-front presence and do a lot of dirty work. We don't need pretty goals. This could definitely be a game where Vanek makes an impact with his ability to tip and deflect shots from seemingly anywhere.

Defensively i'm curious to see how our D, especially the young guys, handle the big-bodied forwards in front of Kuemper. Getzlaf and Perry will make you pay on net front scrambles. We have to clear/get the puck out the first time.

The biggest factor IMO will be special teams though. We have to stop taking bad penalties. The Av's weren't able to burn us on that but they really should have. Especially in the home opener. I think our PK has looked much more aggressive and it has been effective, but there are a lot of new/young guys being thrown into the PK mix like Coyle, Nino, and Zucker that have to stay disciplined.

The power-play needs to cash in. I think we have been very dangerous with the man advantage but results are results and so far we are 0/8 on the PP. It sounds like Yeo is mixing up the units so hopefully that will be a spark. Granlund/Pommer/Spurgeon are the guys that really excel with more open space and are the key factors for the PP IMO. If they get going, the whole unit gets going.

Finally, I really want to see how this team reacts to giving up a goal. (Obviously we have yet to surrender one so far with the two shutouts) Whether it's getting scored on first or giving up the lead I want to see how the young guys react. Do they stay level headed or try to do too much in compensation? Do we lose our confidence or is it a kick in the ass to get going?

In any case, I'm excited. This is a measuring stick game and the Wild aren't flying under the radar anymore. Teams know we are good. We've made the playoffs two years in a row and advanced past a damn good, albeit inexperienced, Av's squad last year. We also gave Chicago a lot more of a fight than most would have expected. The next big step for this team to accomplish is learning how to beat the good teams on the road i.e St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Dallas, SJ, LA.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I'm very interested to see how the Wild fair against the Ducks. Anaheim has a very different make-up than Colorado. Their D pairings are very balanced between puck-movers/offensive-minded D and physical/stay at home types whereas Colorado seemed to lack discipline and general execution of assignments. We controlled the puck a lot in the offensive zone against them with our cycle. PPG line in particular. This is a game where I believe Nino and Coyle really need to be a net-front presence and do a lot of dirty work. We don't need pretty goals. This could definitely be a game where Vanek makes an impact with his ability to tip and deflect shots from seemingly anywhere.

Defensively i'm curious to see how our D, especially the young guys, handle the big-bodied forwards in front of Kuemper. Getzlaf and Perry will make you pay on net front scrambles. We have to clear/get the puck out the first time.

The biggest factor IMO will be special teams though. We have to stop taking bad penalties. The Av's weren't able to burn us on that but they really should have. Especially in the home opener. I think our PK has looked much more aggressive and it has been effective, but there are a lot of new/young guys being thrown into the PK mix like Coyle, Nino, and Zucker that have to stay disciplined.

The power-play needs to cash in. I think we have been very dangerous with the man advantage but results are results and so far we are 0/8 on the PP. It sounds like Yeo is mixing up the units so hopefully that will be a spark. Granlund/Pommer/Spurgeon are the guys that really excel with more open space and are the key factors for the PP IMO. If they get going, the whole unit gets going.

Finally, I really want to see how this team reacts to giving up a goal. (Obviously we have yet to surrender one so far with the two shutouts) Whether it's getting scored on first or giving up the lead I want to see how the young guys react. Do they stay level headed or try to do too much in compensation? Do we lose our confidence or is it a kick in the ass to get going?

In any case, I'm excited. This is a measuring stick game and the Wild aren't flying under the radar anymore. Teams know we are good. We've made the playoffs two years in a row and advanced past a damn good, albeit inexperienced, Av's squad last year. We also gave Chicago a lot more of a fight than most would have expected. The next big step for this team to accomplish is learning how to beat the good teams on the road i.e St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, Dallas, SJ, LA.

Where did you get that? What are the units now?

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Where did you get that? What are the units now?

I read it one of Russo's blogs but now I can't seem to find it. I know he said one unit would have fontaine/nino alternating on Granlund's wing. I forget if it was parise or pommer on the other side, but the other unit by process of elimination would be Vanek-koivu-Pommer/parise. I know he was saying that it was hard to tell which was the first and second units by personnel.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Hmm didn't see that about PP. Units were

Parise - Granlund - Pominville with Dumba and Brodin then Vanek - Koivu - Fontaine/Nino with Suter and Spurgeon I believe. I think you might be referring to when they were practicing 5 on 3s where they said lines for that were Parise - Koivu - Vanek with Pommer and Suter. I think.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
You're probably right. I knew I saw something like that in one of his blogs I just misremembered the context.

bobman543219

Feb 5, 2014
Lakeville, MN
Sweet pics for gdt. Too bad imma have to miss this one.

Heatley playing??

Nope, from Russo's notes:

"Former Wild winger Dany Heatley won’t play Friday with a groin injury. The 33-year-old looked good Thursday though, saying, “It’s the California sun. Keeps you young.â€"

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Think Fontaine will be a good fit with Koivanek. We need this line to be good. Ninos puck retrieving skills and scoring still make him my ideal fit on this line but Yeo is stubborn. Like Fontaine more than Coyle for this line. Better hands and scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad