GDT: 10/17/13 "Head Coach To Goalie Tom" - Bruins VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
While I would like to see stability in the lines, and blueline pairings, the team definitely needs to tweak them.
Campbell should never play with Gilbert again, maybe only on the PP. Try out Weaver or Gudbranson with him. IIRC Guds looked alright with Soupy in preseason.
Can't believe I'm looking forward to Jovo coming back so hopefully Gilbert gets scratched/waived.
Hopefully Petrovic finds consistency in San Antonio this year.

Also, while I believe in players earning playing time, I don't see the point of playing guys that were drafted/growing into a top 6 role getting stuck playing with pure grinders.
A guy like Bjugstad should be getting top 6 minutes/linemates soom, especially when this team is going to be a bottom feeder, he was drafted to be a top 6 center and he keeps up playing well. While Gomez may not be playing bad, he is a one year journeyman. I rather see Bjugstad play with guys who at least can pot some goals every once in a while than with Upshall/Winchester/Barch/Kopecky(who has been off this year).

Did the defensemen practice at all with a puck this training camp? I wasn't expecting a physical defense with the additions of Whitney, Gilbert, Gilroy, but I certainly wasn't expecting all 6 defensemen to treat the puck like a grenade.
Only positives I can see this year is Weaver and Guds being physical.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
at least thomas played well today. some hope? goaltending is the most important piece and markstrom's been awful...so maybe thomas can help right the ship a bit.

The lst ( went down way to early) and 3rd ( paddle not protecting 5 hole on weak shot) goals were on Thomas, with some solid play in between. Both Thomas and marky have been similarly mediocre to date but I think as time passes and Thomas sheds some rust and marky gains NHL experience, they will NOT be the issue.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
I had a test for getting a driver's license early today so I couldn't watch the game, could someone give me a short analysis of the game?
How did the Panthers play? How was Thomas?
Was Versteeg as lazy as always?
Thanks!

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I had a test for getting a driver's license early today so I couldn't watch the game, could someone give me a short analysis of the game?
Thanks!

Versteeg got a goal, wasn't really lazy just not very physical. Thomas was shaky at first but played strong until the end, he was very upset and animated after that last goal. Forwards played well, defense looked slow and out of position often, but overall a good effort from the kids and cast offs. Just need more cohesive play.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thanks!

We didn't play the 1st period at all other than two scoring chances we missed. We were lucky Boston wasn't up 3 or 4-0 because they played 80% of the period in our zone.

2nd and 3rd periods were way better efforts. Versteeg popped a wrister after Huberdeau did 90% of the work for the goal. Winchester got rewarded with a chippy garbage goal to tie it. We were battling and competing with Boston for 66% of this game.

Thomas let a softie in early on by dropping too quick and the third Boston goal was a softie as well after he went beast mode for most of the 2nd and 3rd. This loss was a heartbreaker and we deserved a point for our efforts.

Weaver crushed someone again, didn't even know Kuli was playing, Gilroy is becoming one of the most consistent d-men creating plays and making smart passes, Matthias went beast mode for parts of the 3rd and really needs a goal asap, Huberdeau got mouthy and physical again tonight which I love, Barkov had a so-so game but I have no worries with him at all so far.

Hope that helps!

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
That was a heartbreaking loss, but we didn't deserve to win that game.

Positives
The 2nd and the 3rd period were much better than the 1st. In terms of overall effort. But that's not enough to beat good teams.

Killing the Kulikov double minor was impressive. There were a couple of calls that could have gone our way but they didn't. That's just the way it is.

Gudbranson played well. Weaver played well. Kulikov was ok. Campbell was ok.

Kopecky played well. Mattias was invisible till the 3rd period. Boyes played pretty hard. Versteeg played hard, but he's still a high risk player. A better pass to him or a safe clear off the boards right before the two faceoffs that led to the 3rd goal...and that goal never happens.

Negatives
Boyes and Fleischmann missed point blank shots. They both should have been goals.

There is no chemistry when we get the puck in the defensive zone, in terms of break out passes. People take half a second too long to decide where to go with puck . It seems like nobody trusts where anyone is supposed to be. Way too many cutesy stuff which results in turnovers. This should be easily fixable.

Gilbert and Gilroy are adventures defensively.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Last goal sucked I think it was Bergeron that out muscled Barkov to get it to Smith but for ****s sake this team really needs to learn to clear the puck.

Actually it was a pretty unlucky bounce, Bergeron and Barkov both hit the puck at the same time and it ended on a Bruin´s stick. After that TT sucked it in.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland
Versteeg got a goal, wasn't really lazy just not very physical. Thomas was shaky at first but played strong until the end, he was very upset and animated after that last goal. Forwards played well, defense looked slow and out of position often, but overall a good effort from the kids and cast offs. Just need more cohesive play.

We didn't play the 1st period at all other than two scoring chances we missed. We were lucky Boston wasn't up 3 or 4-0 because they played 80% of the period in our zone.

2nd and 3rd periods were way better efforts. Versteeg popped a wrister after Huberdeau did 90% of the work for the goal. Winchester got rewarded with a chippy garbage goal to tie it. We were battling and competing with Boston for 66% of this game.

Thomas let a softie in early on by dropping too quick and the third Boston goal was a softie as well after he went beast mode for most of the 2nd and 3rd. This loss was a heartbreaker and we deserved a point for our efforts.

Weaver crushed someone again, didn't even know Kuli was playing, Gilroy is becoming one of the most consistent d-men creating plays and making smart passes, Matthias went beast mode for parts of the 3rd and really needs a goal asap, Huberdeau got mouthy and physical again tonight which I love, Barkov had a so-so game but I have no worries with him at all so far.

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys! Appreciate it :yo:

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Here are my takeaways

1. Bjugs either should be sent down to play line 1 center minutes or play on top 6.
2. Gudbranson skating still weirds me out.. It looks like sometimes like that kid who first gets skates and his ankles go in and his feet go out.
3. Bruins announcers are so homer.... They surprised me with a few positive statements. One still says Kuleeeeekov
4. Gilroy continues to fly around the ice.. From preseason everyone hated this guy... I could remember him from his year on the lightning and always hating him due to his speed and being everywhere on the ice.
5. When watching this game i just felt that we were running around with our heads cut-off... I have doubts of what either Dineen is trying to do or if the players are listening. Dineen is a former whaler player and one of my favorites growing up. I am just wondering if at some point does a strong veteran coach help this team more than a newer coach like Dineen. I don't know the answer to this.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
Missed last nights game, how did Bjugstad do? I know he had an assist on a garbage goal, but how'd he look aside from that. Also, from the brief highlight clips I saw it looked like those goals were mainly Timmy's fault. Did our defense actually play decent in front of him?

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Missed last nights game, how did Bjugstad do? I know he had an assist on a garbage goal, but how'd he look aside from that. Also, from the brief highlight clips I saw it looked like those goals were mainly Timmy's fault. Did our defense actually play decent in front of him?

The defense was running around a bit at times, otherwise played ok. Problem is the Bs spent most of the 1st period in the offensive zone and were able to set up plays a number of times. On the rare instances where the Panthers gained the offensive zone with the puck the offense looked completely disorganized and couldn't set anything up resulting in few shots and those they took had little chance of going in. Meanwhile no one was in position to look for rebounds.

Things must have gotten better in the second - I only saw part of it and missed the third so I don't know.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The defense was running around a bit at times, otherwise played ok. Problem is the Bs spent most of the 1st period in the offensive zone and were able to set up plays a number of times. On the rare instances where the Panthers gained the offensive zone with the puck the offense looked completely disorganized and couldn't set anything up resulting in few shots and those they took had little chance of going in. Meanwhile no one was in position to look for rebounds.

Things must have gotten better in the second - I only saw part of it and missed the third so I don't know.

after the panthers had tied it in the 3rd, brickley (B's color guy) aptly described the situation. paraphrasing - "there's no rhyme or rhythm to what the panthers are doing but they are somehow creating chances".

i watched bits of all three periods and man, if watching the game is a prerequisite for commenting in game day threads, i may have to bow out :sarcasm: seriously, tho, you almost have to be a masochist. this team is not playing nhl hockey.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I did enjoy seeing Huberdeau lay the body on Chara and chirp at Boston's bench.

Seriously though, something really has to change to keep the effort up 60 minutes. If we play like we did through periods 2 and 3 all season, there's no way we're a basement team. Maybe not a playoff team either, but not as bad as we've been. But the effort isn't constant. It's sickening.

Also, put Matthias on a better line. He's trying so hard to get on the scoresheet.

Usually they are playing poor hockey in the first hockey which will put us into trouble..

The team is not ready to play. That's a coaching mistake. Has to change immediately

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Here are my takeaways

1. Bjugs either should be sent down to play line 1 center minutes or play on top 6.
2. Gudbranson skating still weirds me out.. It looks like sometimes like that kid who first gets skates and his ankles go in and his feet go out.
3. Bruins announcers are so homer.... They surprised me with a few positive statements. One still says Kuleeeeekov
4. Gilroy continues to fly around the ice.. From preseason everyone hated this guy... I could remember him from his year on the lightning and always hating him due to his speed and being everywhere on the ice.
5. When watching this game i just felt that we were running around with our heads cut-off... I have doubts of what either Dineen is trying to do or if the players are listening. Dineen is a former whaler player and one of my favorites growing up. I am just wondering if at some point does a strong veteran coach help this team more than a newer coach like Dineen. I don't know the answer to this.

the B's announcers are great. edwards has even dialed it back a little, imo. and brickley is one of the best in the business. i'm not as sensitive to the homerism so it doesn't bother me. would rather listen to good calls than goldie and lindsay. they did have some positives to say last night, even backing up kopecky on that little skirmish when he poked rask late in the game.

Yeah it seems like they are playing pond hockey in the defensive zone.

It doesn't make any sense.

ah... those are the two words i wanted to see in this thread. been calling it pond hockey since dineen's first year. when you have good players and good chemistry, you'll win some games and might even be fun to watch on occasion. if you don't pair that with a solid structure and a team commitment to it, you'll also look like dog poop quite often. that's pretty much what we've seen here under dineen, isn't it?

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Here are my takeaways

I completely agree. I think Gilroy has been pretty good..

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
the B's announcers are great. edwards has even dialed it back a little, imo. and brickley is one of the best in the business. i'm not as sensitive to the homerism so it doesn't bother me. would rather listen to good calls than goldie and lindsay. they did have some positives to say last night, even backing up kopecky on that little skirmish when he poked rask late in the game.

Their homerism is still bad. Even my office manager, who doesn't watch hockey but has caught bits of their broadcast in the past, thinks they're big-time homers.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Their homerism is still bad. Even my office manager, who doesn't watch hockey but has caught bits of their broadcast in the past, thinks they're big-time homers.

worse than goldie? :) i wanted to puke when i heard his hubie-doobie-doo call.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
****, it's a 4-minute penalty. Great job, Kulikov. :shakehead

Please, stop bashing Kulikov, he is one of the few decent defensemen we have. All of them played mediocre including Campbell and Gudbranson.

And Matthias penalty in the first period that resulted in their 2nd goal was worse than Kulikov's.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

Hope that helps!

How did he drop too soon? Guy was coming in fast and was close in so no much reaction time, he needs to cover the 5-hole. Bruin player put it up high (just below the cross-bar), good shot by him, bad play by Gudbranson letting him skate past him and then not trying to tie up his stick or give him a STRONG cross-check. If its a penalty, then be it, better than letting him have that kind of shot. How many times have you seen our forwards in the same situation and they get mangled before they can get a shot off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad