GDT: 10/17/13 "Head Coach To Goalie Tom" - Bruins VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
0528-fla20th_zps09e20ca2.png

Get ready as your Florida Panthers take on the Boston Bruins! Game time at 7:30pm EST live from BB&T Center!

So continues the goalie odyssey...

TV: Live on FSN Florida and Center Ice.
Radio: Listen Live on 560 WQAM

:bruins

VS

:panthers

[fieldset=Standings]
Florida:
Wins | Losses | OTL/SOL | Total Points
2 |5 |0 | 4

Boston:
Wins | Losses | OTL/SOL | Total Points
3|2|0| 6
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Injuries]
Boston:
Player | Date Of Incident | Status |Injury
Marc Savard| 2013-09-07| on injured reserve and will miss the entire season| post-concussion syndrome
Carl Soderberg| 2013-10-01| on injured reserve |swollen ankle

Florida:
Player | Date Of Incident | Status |Injury
Ed Jovanovski| 2013-09-25| on injured reserve| hip surgery
Steve Pinizzotto| 2013-09-25| on injured reserve| hip
Sean Bergenheim |2013-10-02| on injured reserve| hip/abdominal surgery
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Line Combinations (Subject To Change)]
Boston:
LW |C| RW
Milan Lucic|David Krejci|Jarome Iginla
Reilly Smith|Patrice Bergeron|Loui Eriksson
Brad Marchand|Chris Kelly|Jordan Caron
Daniel Paille|Gregory Campbell|Shawn Thornton

LD|RD
Zdeno Chara|Johnny Boychuk
Dennis Seidenberg|Matt Bartkowski
Torey Krug|Adam McQuaid

Florida:
LW| C |RW
Jonathan Huberdeau|Scott Gomez|Kris Versteeg
Tomas Fleischmann|Aleksander Barkov|Brad Boyes
Scottie Upshall|Nick Bjustad|Tomas Kopecky
Jesse Winchester|Marcel Goc|Shawn Matthias

LD|RD
Brian Campbell|Tom Gilbert
Dmitry Kulikov|Mike Weaver
Erik Gudbranson|Matt Gilroy
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Expected Starting Goaltenders]
Boston:
4958.gif

Tuukka Rask
GP | W | L | OTL | GAA | SV% | SO
5| 3| 2|0 | 1.41| .951| 0

VS.

Florida:
1591.gif

Tim Thomas
GP | W | L | OTL | GAA | SV% | SO
3| 1 |2| 0| 5.02| .850|0
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Special Teams]
Boston:
PP%|PP Rank|PK%|PK Rank
10.5%|25th|86.7%|4th

Florida:
PP%|PP Rank|PK%|PK Rank
10.7%|24th|82.6%|12th
[/fieldset]

[FIELDSET="Team Leaders"]
Boston:
Goals|Milan Lucic|3
Assists|David Krejci|4
Points|Milan Lucic|5
+/-|Johnny Boychuk|+3
PIM|Shawn Thornton|17
W|Tuukka Rask|3
L|Tuukka Rask|2
GAA|Tuukka Rask|1.41
SV%|Tuukka Rask|.951
SO|None|N/A

Florida:
Goals|Brad Boyes|4
Assists|Tomas Fleischmann|6
Points|Tomas Fleischmann|7
+/-|Drew Shore|+1
PIM|Erik Gudbranson|30
W|Jacob Markstrom/Tim Thomas|1
L|Jacob Markstrom|3
GAA|Jacob Markstrom|3.60
SV%|Jacob Markstrom|.882
SO|None|N/A
[/FIELDSET]

[fieldset=Current Eastern Conference Standings]
eastern_conf_standings_zpsf6358451.png
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=News And Notes]
Coach Kevin Dineen rarely announces his plans for who is in net and followed suit on Wednesday afternoon. When asked about Thomas going back into goal after missing the past week with a groin issue, Dineen said Thomas was "questionable."

A few hours later, the Panthers sent out a tweet saying Thomas would indeed start -- then changed it to "play" against the Bruins.

No one I've spoken to will tell me definitively that information came from Dineen. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/#storylink=cpy
George Richards' Blog of the Miami Herald:Your Source For Reliable, Early Panthers Info!
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Red Eye: The Ex-Panther Watch]
060613-8-NHL-Bruins-Gregory-Campbell-OB-PI_2013060611312281_660_320.JPG

Gregory Campbell was well liked in South Florida and it came as a bit of a surprise when he was traded along with Nathan Horton to Boston. He was part of the bargaining chip to get defenseman Dennis Wideman, and more importantly, led to 1st round drafting of current center Nick Bjustad. The two centers square off tonight, and while Bjustad is still trying to make an impact, Campbell has not only already won a cup with Boston, he became a hero to the team for his broken leg shift in the playoffs last year.​
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Red Hot: Cat Of The Night]
790947.jpg

Jonathan Huberdeau, the reigning Calder Trophy winner has picked up where he left off last season with a few great goals against Pittsburgh and Nashville. The sky is the limit for Huberdeau.​
[/fieldset]

Last Game VS. Bruins

Last Game Played

d45814fdb0d3018be55ffedce44dcb4c.jpg

thomas_rask_zps21a76e56.png

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!
:yo::wave::fight::hit:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I was going to post in other thread but closed:

-Markie was being praised by all the posters around here early in the season which I did not fully get, now being BASHED? Are you kidding me? He's been average to above average. Does he need to be better? Yes. Do others need to be better on this team including those players on the backend in front of him? Hell ya. His rebound control can be a little better especially on soft shots in high slot area, but far from horrid. He does play deep in the net, but started to play out of the net more in Nashville and challenged shooters most of the night. The turnovers need to STOP , it's killing Markstrom on GA.

-Forwards are just as much to blame as some of these dmen. Come back hard, play the body etc... Gomez and Versteeg (yet again no surprise) looked horrible on that one goal and looked like little boys trying to clear the front of the net. This has been Huberdeau's weakness too this season, backcheck!

-People want to trade Kuli now:laugh: I wanted him dealt for a guy like Stastny which would had forced our hand to draft Seth Jones. Do I like the Barkov pick? Oh yes wanted him #2 all along, but that was the chance there to move Kuli. I feel his value is starting to slip now, and might not ever return to where it once was. OT: Why does Vanek want to go to Minny? Hemsky is a decent option, but a PASS FIRST guy. Versteeg has to go.

-Bjugstad and Guds better not be moved before Kuli/Shore are. Versteeg should be the first to go.

-Thomas better pull his socks up and do something here soon...pressure is on the vet; not Markie.

-I like the Weaver battle between: MarkstromRules and CHI posters.

I'm not optimistic about this homestand, but a win versus Bruins could get it started towards 3 out of 4 wins.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nice post CPF,

I know everyone wants #32 gone but who's willing to take him? That would make it his 5th team in his short career at his cap hit. I think the most viable option is for him to be bought out but I don't see that happening either. Honestly the only way I see Versteeg traded is packaged with either Shore/Kulikov/Goc. I would be happy if Versteeg and Shore could net us a legitimate top 6 "sniper". Easier said then done though.

We would have to take a healthy cap hit coming back in a trade if Versteeg is part of it as he still has 2.85 years left @ $4.4mil. We may have to bite the bullet this year and hopefully he can put up 40-50pts somehow and then re-evaluate what to do with him in the offseason. Tallon just re-signed the guy so I doubt you will see him leaving anytime soon.

If it came down to Kuli or Guds leaving in a trade I'd prefer Kuli to go to be honest. Guds brings toughness that this team lacks big time. He fights and can still imporve his game immensely as he's only 21. I'd hate to see either go to another team and flourish in 2-3 years time.

I think Goc or Weaver with an added pick will be our trade bait this year. Everyone asking for a huge trade will be let down. Trading Bjugstad would be a big mistake for any asking for that as well. The guy will be an amazing two-way Center and hopefully he will slot into #2C behind Barkov in a year or two.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I was going to post in other thread but closed:

-Markie was being praised by all the posters around here early in the season which I did not get fully get, now being BASHED? Are you kidding me? He's been average to above average. Does he need to be better? Yes. Do others need to be better on this team including those players on the backend in front of him? Hell ya. His rebound control can be a little better especially on soft shots in high slot area, but far from horrid. He does play deep in the net, but started to play out of the net more in Nashville and challenged shooters most of the night. The turnovers need to STOP , it's killing Markstrom on GA.

-Forwards are just as much to blame as some of these dmen. Come back hard, play the body etc... Gomez and Versteeg (yet again no surprise) looked horrible on that one goal and looked like little boys trying to clear the front of the net. This has been Huberdeau's weakness too this season, backcheck!

-People want to trade Kuli now:laugh: I wanted him dealt for a guy like Stastny which would had forced our hand to draft Seth Jones. Do I like the Barkov pick? Oh yes wanted him #2 all along, but that was the chance there to move Kuli. I feel his value is starting to slip now, and might not ever return to where it once was. OT: Why does Vanek want to go to Minny? Hemsky is a decent option, but a PASS FIRST guy. Versteeg has to go.

-Bjugstad and Guds better not be moved before Kuli/Shore are. Versteeg should be the first to go.

-Thomas better pull his socks up and do something here soon...pressure is on the vet; not Markie.

-I like the Weaver battle between: MarkstromRules and CHI posters.

I'm not optimistic about this homestand, but a win versus Bruins could get it started towards 3 out of 4 wins.

I really don't thin we have to worry about Bjugs or Guds going anywhere unless something really big is heading our way. I think Versteeg is a given, and the only way I see him sticking around is if there is literally no market for him, or Tallon refuses to deal one of "his guys".

I also agree with your Markstrom comments. I've been criticizing him but I've said many times, there are far more problems with this team than just goaltending, and those need to improve before we can expect any results in net.

Boston is going to be hella-tough to beat. Would be nice to win but I really don't expect it, even less than I did against Pittsburgh. Boston is just so big and they will just push us around. It could get ugly unless Timmy stands on his head.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Nice work, and love the David Bowie reference, on the GDT!

Once again I am just looking for a solid 60 minute effort. If they do this often enough the wins and points will come.

Lets go P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nice post CPF,

I know everyone wants #32 gone but who's willing to take him? That would make it his 5th team in his short career at his cap hit. I think the most viable option is for him to be bought out but I don't see that happening either. Honestly the only way I see Versteeg traded is packaged with either Shore/Kulikov/Goc. I would be happy if Versteeg and Shore could net us a legitimate top 6 "sniper". Easier said then done though.

We would have to take a healthy cap hit coming back in a trade if Versteeg is part of it as he still has 2.85 years left @ $4.4mil. We may have to bite the bullet this year and hopefully he can put up 40-50pts somehow and then re-evaluate what to do with him in the offseason. Tallon just re-signed the guy so I doubt you will see him leaving anytime soon.
IMO Versteeg is tradeable, but we'd have to take a similar struggling (constant injuries or inconsistency mainly) player on the same money/term back.

Counting in this year, Versteeg is owed 13 million over 3 years. Same kind of players IMO:

Buffalo: Stafford 8M over 2 years.
Buffalo: Leino 15M over 4 years.
Carolina: Ruutu 15M over 3 years.
Vancouver: Booth 9.25M over 2 years (yeah yeah, never going to happen, I know).
Washington: Erat 6M over 2 years.

Not familiar with what Ruutu's role and how Canes right handed depth is, but a Ruutu for Versteeg swap could benefit both teams. Tallon did trade him away thou, so maybe there's some bad blood between the two.

Erat could be interesting (Oates has some weird fetish that he wants to play lefties on LW and righties on RW, Erat is a leftie RW), and we could easily retain some of Versteeg's salary (1M?) since the drop off between the two contracts is 7 million.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Boston's powerplay looked ineffective against Detroit (their last game, Det won 3-2), so they have their own problems. Lots of shots but not even near the net (sounds familiar? :sarcasm:).

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Soupy Fin

Ya I'd be willing to do a Stafford for Versteeg trade anyday of the week but is Buffalo willing?

The other players you mentioned don't interest me enough. Versteeg can still produce offensively but ya his defensive part of the game is non-existent.

Florida can beat Boston but it will take the all around effort they had against the Penguins.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
hopefully the gudbranosaurus rex crushes someone today. i want a punishing hit

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
@Soupy Fin

Ya I'd be willing to do a Stafford for Versteeg trade anyday of the week but is Buffalo willing?
Have no idea really, I was just looking at capgeek for underperforming players with high salary, and his name stood out.

I'm past the point of caring what could be had in return for Steeg, just want that bum gone for good.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Florida can beat Boston but it will take the all around effort they had against the Penguins.

Exactly what I was going to say. The effort last game "at times" wasn't bad, but with the Bruins defense and Rask in net, they're going to have to start attempting to get something going from the start. A full 60 minute effort and not even a two goal lead is safe.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Hi guys. B's fan in peace.

Is there a story behind Timmy's white mask? thanks.

Looking forward to tonight. No injuries!

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
awesome GDT

My feelings on the goaltending: Clearly Marky hasn't done well enough early on to take the 1a goalie position. Clearly he hasn't done poor enough to lose the B/U position.
Had Marky "stole" a game or 2 the convo would be different. He's developing and as is the blueprint, he will improve as the season progresses with NHL experience as the 1b/2a.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Hi guys. B's fan in peace.

Is there a story behind Timmy's white mask? thanks.

Looking forward to tonight. No injuries!

I believe a mask is being produced and this is just a temp.

Question for you...Are most Bfans rooting for him or against (tonight aside)?

Come by and say hi anytime.

Panthers607

Let's see energy and hustle all night long. Make the easy pass and put biscuits on the net.

Go Florida Panthers Go!

MaineHockey1

Always watching!
Nov 13, 2007
Somewhere!
I have been a Bruins fan all my life and just once in my 42 year old life have I ever routed for another team. When #77 went to the Aves. Well today is second time. Love my beloved B's but ........ you get where I'm going without me spelling it out. ;)

Good luck Timmy and Brad! :)

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I believe a mask is being produced and this is just a temp.

Question for you...Are most Bfans rooting for him or against (tonight aside)?

Come by and say hi anytime.

Rooting for the Bruins, not rooting against Timmay(if that makes any sense:huh:) but if you guys do get a win I would hope it was because TT stood on his head, and not that we just stunk it up.

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
I for one love TT and wish him nothing but the best and hope his career with you guys is a great one. I of course hope that he loses tonight and every time he plays the B's or a game that might affect our standing in the division/conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->