GDT: 10/17/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Minnesota VS Tampa Bay

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I feel bad for Connolly it seems this team is doing everything to make him fail. I know our top lines are playing well together but putting the kid in a checking role with limited minutes is not a way to maximise his talent. We had like 7 PP's and I don't remember him getting any chances on it especially when the PP was sucking in the 2nd and 3rd.

Is it me or does he look small on the ice? He's 6'2 over 200 which is similar to Panik and Killorn but they look big compared to him

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I feel bad for Connolly it seems this team is doing everything to make him fail. I know our top lines are playing well together but putting the kid in a checking role with limited minutes is not a way to maximise his talent. We had like 7 PP's and I don't remember him getting any chances on it especially when the PP was sucking in the 2nd and 3rd.

Is it me or does he look small on the ice? He's 6'2 over 200 which is similar to Panik and Killorn but they look big compared to him

I disagree with pretty much all of that. I think the reason to give him the 4th line role wasn't to maximize his talent but just give him some time at game speed. When he gets up here for good, he'll be in a Top 9 role. He had a solid game tonight, though. Had some hits, and if Crombeen could pass he would have had an excellent scoring opportunity too.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Anyone else think the Wild played like the old NJ Devils. 5 across the blue line, safety first. If they had scored first I think we had lost 1-0.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Zero evidence to support the claim that the Bolts management wants Connolly to fail. There's quite a bit of evidence to the contrary however.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Anyone else think the Wild played like the old NJ Devils. 5 across the blue line, safety first. If they had scored first I think we had lost 1-0.

On that topic... have you guys noticed we get a good number of breakaways/odd man rushes, but I can't remember us giving up more than a handful this season? Last couple of years I felt that there was a 2 on 1 every period going against us, but now it's very rare.

Also, I know Koivu scored on the play, but I was impressed with Gudas' play when Suter almost had that breakaway. He identified what was going on immediately and got on his horse to cut away the angle. We lost track of the back door guy, but it was a great play by Gudas.

OH! I know what it is. We backcheck hard now as a team. **** Boucher.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
On that topic... have you guys noticed we get a good number of breakaways/odd man rushes, but I can't remember us giving up more than a handful this season? Last couple of years I felt that there was a 2 on 1 every period going against us, but now it's very rare.

Also, I know Koivu scored on the play, but I was impressed with Gudas' play when Suter almost had that breakaway. He identified what was going on immediately and got on his horse to cut away the angle. We lost track of the back door guy, but it was a great play by Gudas.

OH! I know what it is. We backcheck hard now as a team. **** Boucher.

with boucher I thought we were giving up 8-10 odd rushes a game. Was worst thing ive ever watched. We get a few a game now but somehow we stick check keep making great plays etc.. and are getting better at positioning daily so even more solid:)

We are seriously stepping into passing lanes etc.. slowing other teams down:)

About connolly honestly we are going to have kids come up maybe 2-3 per year most are gonna start at the bottom and get minutes etc.. they are going to get practice time which I really believe to be just as important and then when they earn it and have proven they are ready they will probably be brought up to higher lines etc..

That is how normal non rebuilding teams handle rookies.

This is why teddy went to third think killorn since can puck handle so well would have worked there too cause he does not look like a rookie at all anymore.

These kids still need a couple months probably to really get up to speed and stop making bone head mistakes if put three kids together etc.. This all takes time.

Connolly is fine now with that note since he shouldnt play boston or chicago I would send him down for two weeks and bring him up next sunday and start playing him for the back to back games etc... and fitting him in.

I wanted him to stay up and practice but think its better to send him down till next weekend for now.

I think they are best team I have seen so far of not allowing anything happening up the middle of the ice.

We have to really work on boards etc.. going to outside to get into zone etc... They also played as a unit in intercepting passes etc.. very well where if got by one guy another guy was backing up.

They seem weak on outside though or is just our skill and speed coming through. They need a couple more banging type of guys to cut that off and they would be one of better teams in hockey.

I still think they are probably one of better teams in their division if they get that type of goaltending and parise and others can have good solid years. They could use a couple of scorers added but they are honestly to me one of most solid teams have watched. System wise they are very sound.

I think bishop won us this game but also we could have had 3-4 more goals on them killorn to stamkos and others were legit scores that we probably should have gotten.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really guys, he clearly earned his spot in the preseason but got sent down. Whenever he gets called up he gets bottom 6 minutes. Kids a scorer and needs to be put into a role where he can do that. I know our other lines are playing well together and you don't want to split them up but giving the kid some shifts on the top lines isn't asking much.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Really guys, he clearly earned his spot in the preseason but got sent down. Whenever he gets called up he gets bottom 6 minutes. Kids a scorer and needs to be put into a role where he can do that. I know our other lines are playing well together and you don't want to split them up but giving the kid some shifts on the top lines isn't asking much.

I am not disagreeing that he is top 6 but where would you have slotted him and who would you have moved to another line?

Not having a spot for him is why he was sent down in the first place.

Ricebox

Feb 7, 2013
Norway - Florida
What a beautiful play, and no mention of it anywhere on NHL.com, typical, i kind of like being the underdogs

on another note, this game against Boston tomorrow is extremely important for us, probably one of the most important in awhile at least the way i look at it.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
I am not disagreeing that he is top 6 but where would you have slotted him and who would you have moved to another line?

As an outside viewer, if he is a top 6 player and you have no room at the moment for him in the top 6 wouldn't it be better to just leave him in the AHL for the time being? Bringing him up for just under 10 mins in a checking role doesn't really seem like it would help much.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
As an outside viewer, if he is a top 6 player and you have no room at the moment for him in the top 6 wouldn't it be better to just leave him in the AHL for the time being? Bringing him up for just under 10 mins in a checking role doesn't really seem like it would help much.

Yes but he was brought up because they thought Marty would not be playing. During pre game practice he was in Marty's spot. Marty was a game time decision.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Marty was a game time decision, which is why he was brought up. Since Marty could play, I guess they decided to give him some ice time, and put him on the fourth line. This really isn't an issue, and it's silly to try and make it one. When he comes up for good, it will be in a top 9 role.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

He was brought up to play 1st line or 2nd Line if Marty couldn't go. MSL played and Panik earned another chance at 2nd line minutes. The only place there was room was on the 4th line.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Connolly is fine now with that note since he shouldnt play boston or chicago I would send him down for two weeks and bring him up next sunday and start playing him for the back to back games etc... and fitting him in.

I wanted him to stay up and practice but think its better to send him down till next weekend for now.

Because you want Labrie who was scratched for Connolly to play against Boston or because you think Connolly isn't ready yet to face top teams like Boston or Chicago?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I must say that I like what Salo brings, he is really solid.

I've actually been thinking the opposite. Last year he was great for us, but this year he seems really timid and making a lot of mistakes. One comes to mind in the game last night where he and Hedman were coming back into coverage when Salo blew a tire in the crease and Minnesota got a scoring chance from it. A lot of other minor things like bobbling pucks or not getting full wood on clears, he has been frustrating me lately. I'd say he's actually been our worst defenseman, even though he really hasn't been awful, just not good.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I've actually been thinking the opposite. Last year he was great for us, but this year he seems really timid and making a lot of mistakes. One comes to mind in the game last night where he and Hedman were coming back into coverage when Salo blew a tire in the crease and Minnesota got a scoring chance from it. A lot of other minor things like bobbling pucks or not getting full wood on clears, he has been frustrating me lately. I'd say he's actually been our worst defenseman, even though he really hasn't been awful, just not good.

Everyone was blowing tires last night, that ice was horribad.

That being said, Salo has been mediocre for us. Not great, not horrible. Not like last year where he basically carried our D. This year, the whole team carries our D, which I would rather have ;)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Because you want Labrie who was scratched for Connolly to play against Boston or because you think Connolly isn't ready yet to face top teams like Boston or Chicago?

A little of both? I really like our grinding line this year you all have a convert. I am guy who said crombeen was useless hes not he almost made a great pass last night to connolly and has had other moments but the guys a fighter and does a great job banging etc.. That line has been solid for us this year.

I do not want panik or connolly playing a fourth line against them and that is spot they would need to take right now basically.

Next saturday and sunday we have back to backs than many after that.

I truly think at this point unless we want connolly to learn center having him play those back to back games giving guys a rest here and there will be a good idea. Having connolly practicing with the top lines will help his development imo at this point as much as going to AHL unless he is playing center.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I would've tried to get him a shift with the other 3 lines, switch him with Malone, Panik or Palat just to see if he could've got some better chances. They also could've gave him some PP time. He looked good in his limited minutes so hope he gets another game before sent back.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Just from my perspective - as long as he's evaluated on what he brings to table, and not evaluated strictly based on offensive production while in a 4th line role, what's the problem?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I would've tried to get him a shift with the other 3 lines, switch him with Malone, Panik or Palat just to see if he could've got some better chances. They also could've gave him some PP time. He looked good in his limited minutes so hope he gets another game before sent back.

I don't disagree with this, actually. Especially with all the PPs with the lines getting mixed up, go ahead and move him up a line or two for a shift. Still, I don't feel bad and fully expect that when he comes up for good, he's going to play well enough that we'll never be able to send him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad