GDT: 10/16/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina vs Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos has actually been worryingly bad so far. Like, not just his usual "frustrating." He's looked like a bottom six player on all but a few shifts so far this year. His first step is non-existent.

Reactions: Kusic

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The Lightning are 3-1 and really still trying to find their game.

Lots to be optimistic about. Paquette, Johnson, McDonagh all playing much better. Joseph looks like he belongs. Penalty kill looks good. Domingue looks like he can take some of the workload off of Vasy.

That's almost all of our problems from last year showing signs of improvement. Next problem: motivating our top players

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos has actually been worryingly bad so far. Like, not just his usual "frustrating." He's looked like a bottom six player on all but a few shifts so far this year. His first step is non-existent.
I've never seen him this bad. He's worse than a non-factor. He's a net negative.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lots to be optimistic about. Paquette, Johnson, McDonagh all playing much better. Joseph looks like he belongs. Penalty kill looks good. Domingue looks like he can take some of the workload off of Vasy.

That's almost all of our problems from last year showing signs of improvement. Next problem: motivating our top players

Yeah, there are a ton of positives. I think Kucherov will find his game. He's too talented not to. Stamkos worries me though, because I didn't exactly have high hopes for him, but he looks like he might have taken another step in the wrong direction.

TJ's speed is a God d@&% sight for sore eyes though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Dude has that look of "If I could JUST get one more of those predictable cross ice passes to Kucherov for a goal I'd be okay" and Kucherov the same thing but to Stamkos.

The bad habits are so badly ingrained that neither guy knows what to do out there

Reactions: Hoek

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Though on paper he had a great year last year, regular season anyway, even then it was becoming obvious that the major injuries and illnesses that he has suffered have affected him negatively to a substantial degree. He is simply not a top-line center anymore and may, in terms of current ability relative to other NHL players, in fact be a bottom six player. He'll get his one timers on the PP so might put up 20-25 goals but I just don't see him getting back anywhere close to being the player he was. I see no hint of it.

Would love to be wrong about this but don't think I am.

Last edited:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Have to say it, the canes are fun. Real aggressive forecheck reminds me of us from several years ago. Very speedy, fun team.
Agree completely. And have caught a few of Brind'Amour's press conferences after games. Total straight shooter. Funny in a deadpan way. Great interview. Loved watching him play. But really can't stand the Canes otherwise.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I wouldn't be upset to see Stamkos sit a game. Not only is he not contributing to the team, but his poor play is costing us.

Johnson looked like Johnson of old and it was nice. Joseph looks great too. Whole team looks pretty good with a few exceptions.

Domingue. I can't say enough about this dude. From what he dealt with in ARI to come here and do as well as he has. Love it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Dude has that look of "If I could JUST get one more of those predictable cross ice passes to Kucherov for a goal I'd be okay" and Kucherov the same thing but to Stamkos.

The bad habits are so badly ingrained that neither guy knows what to do out there

I think that's over-simplifying it. Stamkos has lost his explosivity. I think it's a much bigger problem than his poor decisions. He just doesn't have it anymore. Kucherov is guilty of trying to finesse everything and getting burned. With Stamkos, it's like he has completely 100% lost that explosive first step. He's been one of our worst players every single game. He was likely our single worst tonight, if not Sergachev. Definitely our worst forward.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't be upset to see Stamkos sit a game. Not only is he not contributing to the team, but his poor play is costing us.

Johnson looked like Johnson of old and it was nice. Joseph looks great too. Whole team looks pretty good with a few exceptions.

Domingue. I can't say enough about this dude. From what he dealt with in ARI to come here and do as well as he has. Love it.

He won't be sat. He would need a quarter season of games like tonight, complete with a blueline turnover leading to a goal, to be pressboxed.

If he could get up to the speed he was at at the end of last year, I'd be satisfied. But I'm not seeing anything physical that makes him "special." We used to see it every game. Even in bad games, he'd show you a little something. Maybe he'd just outskate a guy with a step on him, or miss the net with a shot going 105 mph. Some little thing to remind you he's a special athlete. I'm doubting he's a special athlete now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think that's over-simplifying it. Stamkos has lost his explosivity. I think it's a much bigger problem than his poor decisions. He just doesn't have it anymore. Kucherov is guilty of trying to finesse everything and getting burned. With Stamkos, it's like he has completely 100% lost that explosive first step. He's been one of our worst players every single game. He was likely our single worst tonight, if not Sergachev. Definitely our worst forward.
At this point I have to hope it's a lingering injury and a mental block. We can ill afford Stamkos to turn into a guy so banged up he has nothing left like Callahan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I agree 100% regarding Domingue. I liked the move to get Domingue right away. I used to watch lots of Coyotes games and always liked Domingue. Great combination of righty, size and mobility combined with a solid technique. One of the most gifted goalies leaguewide. In terms of talent he's second to none...not even Vasi. A bit fragile mentally and he had a tough time playing on a bad team with a bad spirit and under a bad coach. He had some brilliant games for Arizona, too but was often lacking confidence and therefore goals sometimes came in bunches. I think he still has some work left to do on the mental side and I'd like him to be a bit calmer, too. He's not nearly as ice cold as Vasi is. Still Domingue is one of the better backups right now and playing for a good team and good coaches clearly helped him and his confidence big time. Huge upgrade compared to Budaj. Cooper and his staff also deserve some credit here. They handled the goalies really well last season. If Domingue continues to play like that then I could absolutely see him landing a starting gig in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad