GDT: 10/16/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina vs Tampa Bay

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Late to the party but here's some thoughts.

Tyler Johnson has been our best forward this year so far. How about that block at the end. His skating is back.

Domingue was great. McDonagh and Stralman were very good. Fourth line I thought was really good tonight. Miller wants back in the top 6 it seems. Congrats to Joseph, heck of a play on the first goal.

The bad was Stamkos and Sergachev. I don't think I have to explain if you watched kek

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I think that's over-simplifying it. Stamkos has lost his explosivity. I think it's a much bigger problem than his poor decisions. He just doesn't have it anymore. Kucherov is guilty of trying to finesse everything and getting burned. With Stamkos, it's like he has completely 100% lost that explosive first step. He's been one of our worst players every single game. He was likely our single worst tonight, if not Sergachev. Definitely our worst forward.
It's very worrying. Sergachev was probably worse tonight, but he was baaaaad.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos fumbling the puck resulting in the 2nd GA. Fun times. Wake up, captain, won't cha?

TJ and Dom had a great game. Really liked Joseph, Killer and Paq too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This thread is hiarlious, Stamkos was playing like this his contract year and most of you guys wanted to give him 10m+.

He'll probably score in bunches for a few games but these lows are so bad, he's just not effective in anyway except against us. When your supposed star player is a guy you stop depending on to show up but start wondering if he'll show up then there's a problem. When thking of a win coming from this team you're probably thinking Kucherov, Point, Vasi or Hedman as the catalyst - Stamkos will just be there, maybe he'll get a point or two or maybe he'll do nothing but it's rare he's the stirs the cup hese days.

Yzerman saw it too, which is why he was perfectly fine with letting him walk, he doesn't fit the mold of the team Yzerman was trying to build. 8.5m was just high enough that if he did keep regressing it wouldn't be detrimental.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinnLightning26

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Though on paper he had a great year last year, regular season anyway, even then it was becoming obvious that the major injuries and illnesses that he has suffered have affected him negatively to a substantial degree. He is simply not a top-line center anymore and may, in terms of current ability relative to other NHL players, in fact be a bottom six player. He'll get his one timers on the PP so might put up 20-25 goals but I just don't see him getting back anywhere close to being the player he was. I see no hint of it.

Would love to be wrong about this but don't think I am.

He had 40 points those first 21 games, he finished with 86 points meaning he was well under PPG the rest of the season. He played those next 55+ games at 65 point pace.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That was a solid workmanlike win. Carolina's no joke this year.

That was their 3rd game in 4 nights and they came from Winnipeg to Tampa, there really wasn't an excuse for losing this one.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Seems like Johnson has his speed back and all three goals resulted from that. Whatever he did during the off season, he should keep doing that for the rest of his career. He's fun to watch when he plays like this.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Seems like Johnson has his speed back and all three goals resulted from that. Whatever he did during the off season, he should keep doing that for the rest of his career. He's fun to watch when he plays like this.

Maybe Stammer needs to train with whoever Johnson trains with next off-season instead of with Gary Roberts??

Seriously though, I thought last season most of us didn't expect much from him; that he just spent that summer training to stabilize his leg. I figured this year he would have gotten (most of) the strength back and would come out explosive (a la Johnson this year). Guess not.
He made a nice move at the blue line to enter the zone in the third (I think), they would have been in on an easy 2-on-1 and he just looked like he got stuck in sand; slow motion; I thought my tv connection dropped for a second there.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I agree 100% regarding Domingue. I liked the move to get Domingue right away. I used to watch lots of Coyotes games and always liked Domingue. Great combination of righty, size and mobility combined with a solid technique. One of the most gifted goalies leaguewide. In terms of talent he's second to none...not even Vasi. A bit fragile mentally and he had a tough time playing on a bad team with a bad spirit and under a bad coach. He had some brilliant games for Arizona, too but was often lacking confidence and therefore goals sometimes came in bunches. I think he still has some work left to do on the mental side and I'd like him to be a bit calmer, too. He's not nearly as ice cold as Vasi is. Still Domingue is one of the better backups right now and playing for a good team and good coaches clearly helped him and his confidence big time. Huge upgrade compared to Budaj. Cooper and his staff also deserve some credit here. They handled the goalies really well last season. If Domingue continues to play like that then I could absolutely see him landing a starting gig in a few years.

Vasy is the most freakish goalie I have ever seen. Wouldn’t put domingue anywhere near him talent wise.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vasy is the most freakish goalie I have ever seen. Wouldn’t put domingue anywhere near him talent wise.

Oh he totally is. Like often with goalies, the head that makes the difference. Vasi is cold as ice while Domingue has nerves. There's also a huge difference in consistency.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Oh he totally is. Like often with goalies, the head that makes the difference. Vasi is cold as ice while Domingue has nerves. There's also a huge difference in consistency.

No, no he is not. Vasy is a freak athlete, possible the most athletic goalie I have ever watched. Domingue has never flashed those skills. He was solid tonight, but he is nowhere near the athlete vasy is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe Stammer needs to train with whoever Johnson trains with next off-season instead of with Gary Roberts??

Seriously though, I thought last season most of us didn't expect much from him; that he just spent that summer training to stabilize his leg. I figured this year he would have gotten (most of) the strength back and would come out explosive (a la Johnson this year). Guess not.
He made a nice move at the blue line to enter the zone in the third (I think), they would have been in on an easy 2-on-1 and he just looked like he got stuck in sand; slow motion; I thought my tv connection dropped for a second there.

I saw that exact play. It's what sparked the word "worrying" in all my posts. He didn't look like an NHL skater on that play. He looked like somebody's dad playing in a senior league. (I think we're talking about the same play, but maybe not.)

This thread is hiarlious, Stamkos was playing like this his contract year and most of you guys wanted to give him 10m+.

He'll probably score in bunches for a few games but these lows are so bad, he's just not effective in anyway except against us. When your supposed star player is a guy you stop depending on to show up but start wondering if he'll show up then there's a problem. When thking of a win coming from this team you're probably thinking Kucherov, Point, Vasi or Hedman as the catalyst - Stamkos will just be there, maybe he'll get a point or two or maybe he'll do nothing but it's rare he's the stirs the cup hese days.

Yzerman saw it too, which is why he was perfectly fine with letting him walk, he doesn't fit the mold of the team Yzerman was trying to build. 8.5m was just high enough that if he did keep regressing it wouldn't be detrimental.

I do think this is worse. Stamkos managed to put up 72 points that year playing primarily with Callahan and Killorn, and one of the worst PP units in the league. And yeah, he was NOT playing like a franchise player despite those points. You, me, and Macho were probably the loudest voices against giving him 10+m, or the 12m that he was rumored to get as a UFA (in hindsight, I think NHL scouts are better than we give them credit, and I doubt he received any McDavid money offers).

But what we're seeing right now, IMO, is a further regression. I can't picture him putting up 70 points without a high-functioning PP, which he did in 2015. And then 64 points the next season. He was still producing at ES in those years, even if that version of him was a shadow of his former self.

I remember GDTs in those years, and, as much as we complained about Stamkos (which was A LOT), there were only a handful of nights where the majority of posters believed he was our worst player, or one of our worst. Those nights stood out. 4 games into this season, and it's kind of the norm.

But what's worse is he's not showing anything physically to make us believe he's about to break out. The "bad" version of Stamkos used to be our 4th or 5th best player. I'm having a hard time seeing him as that right now, with the way he's skating. He looks like the guy we should be considering scratching for Danick Martel, rather than Adam Erne.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I question your scouting ability. Vasi is one of the most athletic goaltenders I've ever seen. He has that MAF/Quick-level lateral movement/flexibility, except I think he keeps his net better than either of those guys.

Dom hasn't wowed me with his athleticism. Not saying it's bad, but he's very much within the middle of the distribution with it.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
No, no he is not. Vasy is a freak athlete, possible the most athletic goalie I have ever watched. Domingue has never flashed those skills. He was solid tonight, but he is nowhere near the athlete vasy is.
I agree . Domingue's ceiling is solid starter, whereas Vasilevski's ceiling is Vezina trophy and Com Symthe

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I question your scouting ability. Vasi is one of the most athletic goaltenders I've ever seen. He has that MAF/Quick-level lateral movement/flexibility, except I think he keeps his net better than either of those guys.

Dom hasn't wowed me with his athleticism. Not saying it's bad, but he's very much within the middle of the distribution with it.

I think Dom is a little better positionally. He's not throwing limbs at pucks the way Vasy does, which, while spectacular, is probably one of the few flaws remaining in his game. Vasy's athleticism is off the charts, but I think he relies on it a little too much, and it keeps him from "shutting the game down" so to speak. The best goalie I ever saw at that was Kipprasoff. He rarely made highlight reel saves because he didn't have to, and he made those Flames teams look a lot better than they really were. I know Vasy will never turn into that type of goalie, but I hope he can improve a little in that area without sacrificing what got him here (crazy Inspector Gadget-like athletic ability).

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I think Dom is a little better positionally. He's not throwing limbs at pucks the way Vasy does, which, while spectacular, is probably one of the few flaws remaining in his game. Vasy's athleticism is off the charts, but I think he relies on it a little too much, and it keeps him from "shutting the game down" so to speak. The best goalie I ever saw at that was Kipprasoff. He rarely made highlight reel saves because he didn't have to, and he made those Flames teams look a lot better than they really were. I know Vasy will never turn into that type of goalie, but I hope he can improve a little in that area without sacrificing what got him here (crazy Inspector Gadget-like athletic ability).

Completely agree.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Better question yours. Fleury is nothing special in terms of movement or flexibility. Quick is way better in that regard. Or others like Domingue or Mrazek. They have other downsides...Vasi doesn't and that's why he's the best goalie in the world right now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Better question yours. Fleury is nothing special in terms of movement or flexibility. Quick is way better in that regard. Or others like Domingue or Mrazek. They have other downsides...Vasi doesn't and that's why he's the best goalie in the world right now.
You're just literally wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->