GDT: 10/15/2013 - Minnesota Wild @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 6:00 - FS-N, SNET-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Expect we never played this well last year. Honestly we bossed the posession.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Woke up. Still not in the slightest worried. It's hilarious we're getting nothing but praise from opposition fans for how well we play...I know its easy to be magnanimous fresh off a victory but it's fairly universal, and a sign we're on the path to glory! :handclap:

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Woke up. Still not in the slightest worried. It's hilarious we're getting nothing but praise from opposition fans for how well we play...I know its easy to be magnanimous fresh off a victory but it's fairly universal, and a sign we're on the path to glory! :handclap:

The best judges of our team ARE our opposition. I remember in the past reading Vancouver posts like crazy even when we were leading the division and posters were like... "When we pass Minnesota to win the division." Our own division rivals were not concerned with us for years. This year is totally new, you can feel it.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Leafs fan here.

You guys have an awesome team to cheer for. I was thoroughly impressed with all 60 minutes of the Wild's game. I don't understand how Toronto managed a 4-1 win.

Minnesota's PP and breakout is really impressive and unique. The speed gained and the movement of the puck is really top-notch. Not being able to watch any Wild games last year, the Wild will probably be my Western team to cheer for this year.

Keep up the support. Your team has good things ahead, if not already here. Really impressed.

I've always loved Toronto. And to make you like me even more, I've always hated Montreal. :laugh:

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Finally some media agress with us... after listening to hockeycentral at noon on sportsnets/fan590 Doug Maclean does on with millard and Kuper say that if it wasnt for Kuemper starting last night we would of won... thanksfully someone agrees with all of us

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Maybe it's just me but I'd be interested to see Mitchell on that top line. He has the speed to keep up with Parise and is a tenacious fore-checker. I think he'd be good for the cycle game and he has more offensive tools/hands than his 4th line relegation would dictate. At least until Coyle comes back anyway.

Parise-Koivu-Mitchell
Nino-Granny-Pomm
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine
Heatley-Konopka-Veilleux

Once Coyle is back I'd move to this.

Parsie-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Coyle-Pomminville
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine
Mitchell-Konopka-Heatley

They tried Mitchell on the 1st line last year, and it went terrible as I remember. Mitchell is all speed, and 0 hands. Still a good player, but definitely not top 6 material.

Just pray to God Coyle is a quick healer.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
This. Glad they are shooting more, but I want quality over quantity.

I don't think you really do. Granted I'm not about to look it up but I don't recall anyone being super happy when we had a higher than average shooting percentage but fewer shots and we're losing games. In fact, there was a ton of *****ing about them waiting for the perfect opportunity to shoot when they should just be getting shots on net. You're not INS are you? Not related at all...but the service at chipotle has tanked the last couple of years. :(

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Observations;

1/ If we didn't have Gustafsson, I'd be more concerned about our goaltending depth. Kuemper has not looked good even in the AHL. I'd expect more from Kuemper at this point.

2/ Koivu - Paging Koivu...This guy has a cap hit of 6.750 million dollars. 2 goals in 21 games and 9 points total in 21 games. That's inexcusable. Even better he's a whopping -5 for +/-. So to recap: 2 goals, 7 assists in 21 games and a +/- of -5. Based off those numbers, I wouldn't pay more than 4 million for him. Koivu needs to be held accountable and he isn't.

3/ Still like the youth movement. Brodin and Granlund are great back to back 1st round picks. Loving their energy and play.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah I want to see more from Koivu. But we still need a dynamic young goal scorer in here. That can be Nino, Coyle, or Zucker. Granlund's not going to be that guy, we know that.

On the plus side, we're towards the end of the rebuild where you assess what you have and what you need. But we're not there yet. Having prospects doesn't mean anything until they have an impact at the NHL level.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As I watched the game yesterday, I was bummed to see the Leafs winning, but, I honestly couldn't find too much to get upset about from our play standpoint. I hate moral victories, but, the loss to Nashville is really the only loss thus far where we looked and played like poo. Happy with how we played and how we come out tomorrow night will be big for us.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah I want to see more from Koivu. But we still need a dynamic young goal scorer in here. That can be Nino, Coyle, or Zucker. Granlund's not going to be that guy, we know that.

Part of me wants to see Coyle on the 1st line as a center and Granlund on wing with Koivu on the 2nd line.

On the plus side, we're towards the end of the rebuild where you assess what you have and what you need. But we're not there yet. Having prospects doesn't mean anything until they have an impact at the NHL level.

Yep =) I can't wait to see their potential.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
We must ask ourselves, would giving up Zucker to get Bernier been worth it? So far it looks like it might have in all honesty.

For me it would've been. I like zucker but watching him he reminds me a lot of setoguchi. Having a healthy 25 year old starting goalie instead of backstrom, who has been injured a lot as of late would be nice. I do like zucker's shoot first mentality and speed, but his game seems very one dimensional right now.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
2/ Koivu - Paging Koivu...This guy has a cap hit of 6.750 million dollars. 2 goals in 21 games and 9 points total in 21 games. That's inexcusable. Even better he's a whopping -5 for +/-. So to recap: 2 goals, 9 assists in 21 games and a +/- of -5. Based off those numbers, I wouldn't pay more than 4 million for him. Koivu needs to be held accountable and he isn't.

I hate to dogpile on Koivu, but I can't help but agree with these sentiments at times. Since they put Nino on the top line, I've notice that it's Koivu who looks out of place or even invisible during some periods. Sometimes it looks like he's just trying to keep up with Parise and Nino.

Like I said, I don't want to pile on Koivu, because nobody played exceptionally well last night, but I'd be lying if I said that I was satisfied with Mikko's play as of late.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think Zucker will be in Iowa for a while this time, especially after that ugly hit.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
And a half game is a good barometer? Not much of a chance being on the first line without getting an PP time as well.

Mitchell is not a top 6 player! Yes they tried it for half a game, and then they realized it wouldn't work. He's not a goal scorer, and his hands are awful. Nino is a better option on that line. Maybe we should try Veileuix next to Koivu and Parise while we're at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad