Raymond | Bolland | Levio

Ashton | Mcclement | Orr

Gunnarson | Phaneuf

Gardiner | Ranger

Rielly | Franson

Reimer
Bernier

nhl.com said:
Season series: First of two meetings this season between the Minnesota Wild and Toronto Maple Leafs. In their most recent matchup, back on Jan. 19, 2012, Joffrey Lupul set up three goals in a 4-1 victory for the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre.

Big story: The Maple Leafs enter Tuesday tied with the Colorado Avalanche and San Jose Sharks atop the NHL standings. The Wild are like everyone else in the Central Division, chasing the Avs, but they've lost just once in regulation over their first half-dozen games.

Team Scope:

Wild: One of the bright spots in Minnesota's first-round Stanley Cup Playoff loss to the Chicago Blackhawks last spring was the performance turned in by backup goalie Josh Harding after Niklas Backstrom went down due to injury. Harding has once again done a terrific job with Backstrom sidelined in the past week, starting three games, winning them all and allowing just one goal in each.

Harding turned aside 22 of 23 shots Monday night against the Buffalo Sabres, and Jason Pominville provided the decisive goal in the 2-1 win, converting on the power play against his former team with 10 seconds remaining in the middle period.

"We've very happy for him," coach Mike Yeo said of Pominville. "He's a guy that brings so much to our team, so much to our locker room. He's a guy that you just want to go out and help him."

Maple Leafs: While Toronto has cruised to a 3-0 road record while outscoring its opponents 11-4, the Maple Leafs haven't looked quite so dominant in front of the home faithful. In fact, they were on the verge of dropping their second game in three home dates Saturday night against a struggling Edmonton Oilers squad before some late heroics.

First it was Lupul scoring with the goaltender pulled and 31 seconds remaining to knot the score at 5-all, and then moments later in overtime Dave Bolland finished off a 3-on-1 break by putting home the rebound of a Cody Franson shot for a wild 6-5 victory.

"We definitely had some breakdowns that led to goals and there's not much he could do about it," said James van Riemsdyk, who also scored twice. "It's a team game and you're just looking for a way to win. They're not all going to be pretty, but we'll take it."

Who's hot: Harding sports a 1.06 goals-against average and .948 save percentage in four appearances for the Wild. Matt Cooke has two goals and three assists during a three-game point streak. … Lupul has five goals and three assists during a five-game point streak for the Maple Leafs. Van Riemsdyk has four goals in as many games. Phil Kessel has one goal and three assists in the past two games.

Injury report: Backstrom (knee strain) remains day-to-day for Minnesota, which also has forwards Mike Rupp and Charlie Coyle on injured reserve with knee injuries. … Toronto remains without defenseman Mark Fraser (knee) and forwards Nikolai Kulemin (ankle) and Frazer McLaren (hand). Forward David Clarkson has four games left to serve in his 10-game suspension.

2ep7e61.jpg

Last edited:

Billy Mays Here*

Scandy back in the line-up?

Just get a point or keep the game close and I"ll be satisfied.

mkoivu9*

I don't mean to imply he's a passenger by any means, but no, if that were true Jared Spurgeon would still be paired with him. That pairing was disastrous. Brodin is a A-level talent and will be a perennial Norris candidate in due time. I won't argue that Suter doesn't help out his defensive partners (again, I'm not contending he sucks by any stretch, but I do contend that he is wildly overrated) but if you think he was the one doing the dirty work for Weber and Brodin and not the other way around, then you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

Suter's a great #2 guy, but he is not nor will he ever be a #1. And yes, there is a difference.
Check out this gem from the Avs board.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Check out this gem from the Avs board.

I agree with him to a certain point. Suter is a really good player, definitely a #1, but if you'll notice, he really doesn't do a lot of the dirty work. He's a great PMD and his defense is still top notch, but he does need a more defensive partner to be successful.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If Suter isn't a #1, I wonder who are the ones that are..

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Let's keep this train rolling boys...here is a real test. Road, B2B, against a very good team. Not sure we can win this one...

Leafs 5
Wild 3

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
If we can keep them from scoring we can win. Scandella you better be awake for this man.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
So no more free Viasat in the True true north?

No, I think it was last weekend only. I'm riding with Viaplay. They added KHL, NFL, Golf etc and raised prices of course. No fun.

Btw I think that Grünerveltliner's name is spelled wrong in the OP
Shouldn't it be: G-R-O-ß-M-U-T-T-E-R ?

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
3-2 OT Leafs.

Kessel, Kadri, Phaneuf

Gründelmutter, Scandella

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I agree with him to a certain point. Suter is a really good player, definitely a #1, but if you'll notice, he really doesn't do a lot of the dirty work. He's a great PMD and his defense is still top notch, but he does need a more defensive partner to be successful.

If anything Suter is underrated. The only problem with him is that he makes everything look so simple, that when he does make a mistake it can be a glaring one.

People who claim he is overrated, don't spend enough time just watching him play during the course of the game. He seems to be always in the right place at the right time and has a tremendous ability to calmly turn the play back up the ice very quickly. He almost looks like he's coasting at times, but he's not. I guess the best way to describe him is "efficient"....and you have to be if you're going to log close to 30 minutes TOI per game.

dwanmaster*

Wild 5-4
Bordin
Grindholm x2
Parise
HEATER

Kessel
Bozak
Reilly
Bolland

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
We got the 2 points last night but there were plenty of scary moments. Interested to see how we respond in a back-to-back against the Leafs who are off to a hot start.

Glad to hear that Ballard is doing well after taking a puck to the yapper last night. Having Stoner step into 2nd pairing minutes last night was scary (or at least scarier than Ballard in the same role).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Lidstrom never did dirty work either.

Because he realized that if you have the ability to just take the puck at will, there is no need to take the body.

hort22

Apr 4, 2013
cmon mikko...lets hit the net tonight!

also with all this heat on the heater, i think he gets his first tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad