GDT: 10/15/2013 - Minnesota Wild @ Toronto Maple Leafs - 6:00 - FS-N, SNET-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't know, Harding looked fine when he came in tonight. I understand the concern, but tomorrow is an off day for relaxation.

Maybe they could run a rotation like pitchers in baseball when Backstrom comes back. Harding starts and goes for 2 periods, and Backstrom comes in to close the door in the 3rd period. :)

Backstrom in the 3rd in relief of Harding? Oh hell no.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Nice to see the other team's fans showing respect and being civil. Really nice, actually. We should of won this on paper, but blame the goaltending and inability to finish. We aren't going to win taking a bunch of shots that have no chance of going in. Sloppy game in my opinion, not terribly impressed.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Didnt watch it.. Seems like we hammered them with shots but couldt get past Optimus Reim..

Hopefully Kuemper comes back stronger after this, and Harding seems like the Wall in person..

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My favorite part was when we had the puck for 85% of the game, but LaPanta sounded like he was doing play-by-play for the VA's annual curling tournament.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think I can take the losses where we fall behind early better than the ones where we collapse late. Remember the Nashville Epic Fail where we not only lot the lead and were going to go to overtime, but we let them score again and they won outright? Felt like I had been kicked in the teeth.

Sproo

Jul 3, 2008
Vancouver
Harding's MS issues are a lot less worrysome now than they were last year. Last year he had just been diagnosed and was getting his medications all set, and that took a long time to do. Major ailments like that often take a very long time before you get the medications at that sweet spot where you maximize that positive effects and minimize the bad side effects.

And remember Harding has access to a much higher standard of medical care than any of us could really ever hope to, so his medications and their effects were probably monitored daily rather than the every couple of weeks which is what most people with chronic conditions have to go through in the process of finishing the medication balancing act.

Now that's in the past and he's gotten himself in balance again, and obviously he has done a tremendous job. He looks to be in top form. I would say he is twice the goalie Backstrom is at the moment. And remember he came back and played in the playoffs for us and gave us a shot at each game he appeared in.

He's got his MS handled. I don't think he's as vulnerable to going wonky on us as you think he is. Sure there will be rare occurances, but these couple of years on his contract are years where he is going to work his ass off because he is living his ****ing dream here, and he's not going to let MS take it away from him yet.

Yeah, he's not a viable long long term starter. But where he is right now he is very viable, and I think he should hold on to the starting job once Backstrom comes back. Who knows, maybe putting Backstrom into a backup role will let him get his game back up a little bit through rest and practice.

The thing with MS is that you can go weeks and months thinking "Hey, I feel great! I don't even think I have MS!" and then all of the sudden it's "BAM, I can't feel half of my body and the other half is weak as $h17" along with a dozen other bizarre things. I really feel for Harding's predicament, but I think the reality is he's going to relapse sooner or later. Hopefully the therapy he's been given delays things enough that he has a long and productive hockey career.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Although we had a lot of shots. Most of them were not great chances. We did have some really good chances especially earlier on in the game, but Kuemper's inability to stop a beach ball really seemed to deflate the team even though we kept on pressing. Toronto's first goal really should have been their only goal.

I still have faith in Kuemper but he needs to build his confidence up. He's such a big goalie and has had great stats throughout his career thus far but omg was he horrible tonight.

Also I can't believe Heatley is making Konopka look good. Heater occasionally makes some good passes but if you take away his space, which is not hard to do with his "speed," he is completely useless.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I think someone should count how many times Heatley gets the puck to his linemates versus times he just turns it over. He's a punishment to his linemates but it's a good thing Yeo's trying to "push him" :sarcasm:

Laughed at Granlund shouting "SAATANA" after he missed that backhand chance. He should put those in the net, tho...

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think someone should count how many times Heatley gets the puck to his linemates versus times he just turns it over. He's a punishment to his linemates but it's a good thing Yeo's trying to "push him" :sarcasm:

Laughed at Granlund shouting "SAATANA" after he missed that backhand chance. He should put those in the net, tho...

Hah, didn't even notice that :laugh:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Things went like expected.

• Heatley just having a slow start. Totally still fighting for the Rocket Richard. Probably pots hat-tricks in next ten games. Coyle, get well soon.
  • Reimer for Vezina, ya know.
  • Gronburg starting to look like the player he used to be (+ sandpaper and speed). Should've scored atleast one.
  • Dumba (and Ballard if he can play) in, please.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Things went like expected.
Gronburg starting to look like the player he used to be (+ sandpaper and speed). Should've scored atleast one.
[/LIST]

He needs to start shooting more. I've watched four games this year, Granlund has shot the puck like 2-3 times.

Henri M

Dec 12, 2012
Grandbladder was great. Alot of unexpected nice passes.
The team is coming together nicely. 4th line good, 1st line gooood, 2nd line mostly good.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Leafs fan here.

You guys have an awesome team to cheer for. I was thoroughly impressed with all 60 minutes of the Wild's game. I don't understand how Toronto managed a 4-1 win.

Minnesota's PP and breakout is really impressive and unique. The speed gained and the movement of the puck is really top-notch. Not being able to watch any Wild games last year, the Wild will probably be my Western team to cheer for this year.

Keep up the support. Your team has good things ahead, if not already here. Really impressed.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Leafs fan here.

You guys have an awesome team to cheer for. I was thoroughly impressed with all 60 minutes of the Wild's game. I don't understand how Toronto managed a 4-1 win.

Minnesota's PP and breakout is really impressive and unique. The speed gained and the movement of the puck is really top-notch. Not being able to watch any Wild games last year, the Wild will probably be my Western team to cheer for this year.

Keep up the support. Your team has good things ahead, if not already here. Really impressed.

:) Now I'm warm and fuzzy inside.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Kind of hard to critique the defensemen tonight, in light of how the game went. I thought there were a couple times he skated the puck out of trouble.

And there were multiple bad passes and just straight up give-aways, not to mention he just makes some really stupid decisions, which leave you staring at him with your mouth open.

He might have skated the puck out of trouble a couple of times, good, that is his freakin job! I'm glad he got it right a couple times.

I'm sorry, but Dumba looks to be more reliable right now than Scandella. Which I really don't understand, because Scandella now and then will have a good game. It's just mind-boggling!

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Leafs fan here.

TY:)

I think Leafs fans are becoming my favorite of all the Canadian fans, you guys are by far the nicest!

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Leafs fans are just plain awesome. Great show of class and they sure recognize good hockey when they see it (I think Wild is playing some right now).

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
We hope our possession game can be as good as yours. Truth be told, given the finishing talent we have, even if we have 40% of the possession of Minny, we will win 60% of our games.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Leafs fan here.

Thanks!

You have a nice team filled with great, young players. I agree with DeuceMN, you guys are by far the classiest Canadian fans! Here's to many great matches in the future :cheers:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
As expected, Kuemper plays like crap, Heatley plays like crap, although Pominville did step up tonight. Wild "run into a hot goalie" and "didn't get the bounces" and "would have won that game nine times out of ten" etc etc etc. Same excuses as last year.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Thought Brodziak played about the worse game I've seen from a Wild player in quite some time. Just brutal in every zone and phase.

Thought Yeo's mercy pull of Kuemper was odd. If you've committed to giving Harding a break before the game even begins, you should probably stick with it. Even if the goaltender play was how it looked last night.

I like Nino more on Granlund's wing than up on the first line. Forces him to be more than a passenger. I'd go into tomorrow with this as the top 6:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Nino - Granlund - Pominville

This way I think you get a bit more out of Granlund and Pominville who are having real issues with Heatley. While you don't want to bog down the first line with Heatley's shortcomings, Koivu and Parise are good enough to work around them. More so than Granlund and Pominville.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Thought Brodziak played about the worse game I've seen from a Wild player in quite some time. Just brutal in every zone and phase.

Thought Yeo's mercy pull of Kuemper was odd. If you've committed to giving Harding a break before the game even begins, you should probably stick with it. Even if the goaltender play was how it looked last night.

I like Nino more on Granlund's wing than up on the first line. Forces him to be more than a passenger. I'd go into tomorrow with this as the top 6:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Nino - Granlund - Pominville

This way I think you get a bit more out of Granlund and Pominville who are having real issues with Heatley. While you don't want to bog down the first line with Heatley's shortcomings, Koivu and Parise are good enough to work around them. More so than Granlund and Pominville.

Maybe it's just me but I'd be interested to see Mitchell on that top line. He has the speed to keep up with Parise and is a tenacious fore-checker. I think he'd be good for the cycle game and he has more offensive tools/hands than his 4th line relegation would dictate. At least until Coyle comes back anyway.

Parise-Koivu-Mitchell
Nino-Granny-Pomm
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine
Heatley-Konopka-Veilleux

Once Coyle is back I'd move to this.

Parsie-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Coyle-Pomminville
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine
Mitchell-Konopka-Heatley

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I just wish Coyle wasn't injured. I want to see Granlund with Koivu. We need a better LW in the top six than Heatley.

Granlund with Koivu seems all too logical to not have been tried yet. Coyle coming back is going to be huge. Hopefully his return will have Yeo shake things up a little. I really wouldn't mind seeing Koivu-Parise split up at this point either. Hopefully Heatley will play himself out of a top 6 spot because he has no business on the 3rd or 4th line. Zucker needs to start playing like he wants to be in the NHL to facilitate Heatley's departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad