GDT: 10/13/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Detroit

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Holy overreactions, Batman! This was pretty much a schedule loss, IMO. Our only chance was to jump out to an early lead and we didn't do it.

I have no issue with the loss itself. It's still been a good start to the year. My issue is we're getting more and more proof on a nightly basis that Stamkos is just never going to be our best player under Jon Cooper.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I blame Stamkos as much as anyone. For a guy who's supposed to be our best player, he was awfully pedestrian. The more money you're asking for, the less acceptable that gets. He was easily the worst player on his line tonight, and that just can't happen. At least not with the regularity it's been happening in the last year.

I'm more worried about Kuch though. Wondering if he's out of shape or something. He's been really, really quiet by his standards.

Eh I've seen worse. He at least kissed one off the iron. If that goes in we're looking at a totally different game. Agreed about Kucherov but I would say he had a far worse night than Stamkos. I literally didn't notice 86 out there one time. I think he's going through one of his funks.

If I have to point at anyone it's at guys like Brown, Filppula, Condra and Killorn. These are the guys who are supposed to get behind the big red wall of the Detroit trap and sustain pressure. They didn't do that and the PK was mediocre to average at best.

You HAVE TO skate hard to beat Detroit. Seriously that's literally the only thing you have to do. Get your legs moving, beat them on the wall (and it's not even like they're that tough) and you'll pull the "wall" away from Howard because you'll inevitably draw them out.

Very few times did we see that. The boys need to take a nap, hit the spa do SOME kind of damn thing to get their legs back because they're gonna be in a hell of a game against Dallas on Thursday. The only person who showed up tonight was Bishop, Drouin and Callahan for his slap shot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Meh Palat was shaky dude, He had too many fanned passes and struggled to get the puck out of their zone.

He wasn't as good tonight as in the previous games, but he wasn't utterly invisible. Had a few nice chances. If that's what a bad game for Drej looks like, then Drej is a pretty incredible player. Which he is.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Wings put up a wall at their blue line. We couldn't break through. Gotta skate.

On to the next one.

Oh, by the way, Carle's penalty on Nyquist was baloney. Just figures he's the one to score the goal too.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
[NHL]2015020042-487-h[/NHL]

Great goal, sucks that it didn't matter.

And I agree with Bishop being our best player tonight, then Hedman (had so many takeaways), Cally (his goal + SOG + the great shot block he did when it was still 0-0) and Drouin (just pure skill) comes in 2nd place.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wasn't as good tonight as in the previous games, but he wasn't utterly invisible. Had a few nice chances. If that's what a bad game for Drej looks like, then Drej is a pretty incredible player. Which he is.

I have no concerns with Palat, but he was a little off tonight, but he was not terrible by any means was just off, you know?

I do agree about Kucherov, not sure what the hell is going on with him. He might be drinking the same Kool-Aid as Stamkos. :shakehead

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Eh I've seen worse. He at least kissed one off the iron. If that goes in we're looking at a totally different game. Agreed about Kucherov but I would say he had a far worse night than Stamkos. I literally didn't notice 86 out there one time. I think he's going through one of his funks.

If I have to point at anyone it's at guys like Brown, Filppula, Condra and Killorn. These are the guys who are supposed to get behind the big red wall of the Detroit trap and sustain pressure. They didn't do that and the PK was mediocre to average at best.

You HAVE TO skate hard to beat Detroit. Seriously that's literally the only thing you have to do. Get your legs moving, beat them on the wall (and it's not even like they're that tough) and you'll pull the "wall" away from Howard because you'll inevitably draw them out.

Very few times did we see that. The boys need to take a nap, hit the spa do SOME kind of damn thing to get their legs back because they're gonna be in a hell of a game against Dallas on Thursday. The only person who showed up tonight was Bishop, Drouin and Callahan for his slap shot.

The issue remains the same. We're four games into the season and the guy asking to be the highest paid player in the NHL hasn't been our best player in any of them. Tonight he wasn't in the top 5. That wouldn't be an issue if it weren't a continuation from 100+ games last year. If this was like a one-off, then fine. But games like this one have been far more the rule than the exception for Stamkos in the last year. And yeah, he looked pretty bad at times.

How long do we have to see this before we just have to admit he's probably never going to be our best player? At least not in a puck possession system. Through four games, he's been the worst player on his line, forget the team. Let's not even think about where he stands league-wide right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Toss up between Bishop and Hedman tonight, for me. Then Cally, Drouin, and TJ all in the mix after that. Stralman had a decent night too.

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
Guys looked very tired after the 1st. The way Red Wings play really didn't help at all.

Drouin was best player tonight for me, he and Cally looked good despite the Stammer having a poor game.

Let's just move on to the next game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Palat and Johnson looked slow, lazy and fat. Hell, the whole team looked lazy.

I will continue to believe that they just didn't want to play tonight because I refuse to believe that professional athletes are that out of gas 4 games into the season. I don't care if it's a back to back or a back to back to back. No ****ing excuses for a piss poor effort like that.

Honestly though, we didn't play any better in the first 3 games, we just played ****** teams and got away with it. Detroit isn't complete **** and they made us pay. We really need to wake the **** up because we aren't going to always be playing bottom feeders.

storm fan

Dec 20, 2004
I dont get some of the decisions he makes. Think he should leave the Stamkos, Callahan, Drouin line alone for awhile. They are starting to work well together.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I dont get some of the decisions he makes. Think he should leave the Stamkos, Callahan, Drouin line alone for awhile. They are starting to work well together.

That line has scored the most goals, so not sure what else Cooper wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad