OT: 10,000 Pt XXXIX - But it's too early for Next Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I <3 Shining Force. Since I was a wee lad.

8F159FF6CA4E70C8E9E45886A9F4B8E71EBD57AF

kvQ2uSs.gif

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
After this whole Mighty No.9 thing I don't think I'll be doing Kickstarter anymore

yeah btween MN9 and DoubleFine's shenanigans I won't support anything on Kickstarter, let alone pretentious indie game devs. Many of them are so anti-consumer they make EA look like saints.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
yeah btween MN9 and DoubleFine's shenanigans I won't support anything on Kickstarter, let alone pretentious indie game devs. Many of them are so anti-consumer they make EA look like saints.

Wait, what did DoubleFine do? I backed DF Adventure and then got to play an extra long awesome adventure game. Did they have some other kickstarter that messed up?

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Wait, what did DoubleFine do? I backed DF Adventure and then got to play an extra long awesome adventure game. Did they have some other kickstarter that messed up?

Spacebase DF-9: after successful kickstarter funding, the game was never finished & eventually abandoned with no refunds given to backers.

Broken Age: Despite being funded for well over their goal, the game was released half finished & DF claimed they didn't have enough funds to finish the game (mostly due to misuse. DF blew LOTS of money on private parties that images can be found all over google), only to release the unfinished 2nd part of the game later on as a full-priced "sequel".

Grim Fandango: not sure if this was one of their kickstarter games, but the game was released with many bugs & issues (missing textures, random crashes, game save files becoming corrupt).

Psychonauts 2 has had it's share of controversy as well, but I haven't really been following it much.

Last edited:

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California

I went in hard on Star Citizen, that is pretty much the only game I supported.

So don't feel bad

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

So don't feel bad

Any Game company that offers a $10,000 (yes, ten thousand real life dollars) DLC Package would make me stay far ****ing away from them.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

So don't feel bad

Star Citizen is still a possibility, I haven't given up yet. At least they've got some playable code available.

I've actually kickstarted a few things and haven't had a bad experience yet. An incomplete list:

The special edition version of the Steve Jackson game, Ogre. It looks fantastic, and the amount they packed into the thing means it would probably run $250+ retail if they wanted to actually make any money on the thing.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong. (excellent game, really enjoyed it)

Pillars of Eternity. (Great game, I kinda stalled partway through and haven't picked it up again due largely to lack of time)

Hex. (They've certainly surpassed their Kickstarter promises, but I never got into the game, largely because I got much deeper into Hearthstone before Hex came out)

Exploding Kittens. (Card game from the guy that does The Oatmeal webcomic. Funny as hell game)

The only active one I have right now is Battletech, from Harebrained Schemes, the same developer that did all three of the recent Shadowrun games: Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

The only thing I've backed that there's even been a question about is Star Citizen, and like I said, I still believe we might see it in a year or two.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Any Game company that offers a $10,000 (yes, ten thousand real life dollars) DLC Package would make me stay far ****ing away from them.

I like Chris Roberts and was fine throwing away money at the possibility of his game being amazing.

Star Citizen is still a possibility, I haven't given up yet. At least they've got some playable code available.

I've actually kickstarted a few things and haven't had a bad experience yet. An incomplete list:

The special edition version of the Steve Jackson game, Ogre. It looks fantastic, and the amount they packed into the thing means it would probably run $250+ retail if they wanted to actually make any money on the thing.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong. (excellent game, really enjoyed it)

Pillars of Eternity. (Great game, I kinda stalled partway through and haven't picked it up again due largely to lack of time)

Hex. (They've certainly surpassed their Kickstarter promises, but I never got into the game, largely because I got much deeper into Hearthstone before Hex came out)

Exploding Kittens. (Card game from the guy that does The Oatmeal webcomic. Funny as hell game)

The only active one I have right now is Battletech, from Harebrained Schemes, the same developer that did all three of the recent Shadowrun games: Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

The only thing I've backed that there's even been a question about is Star Citizen, and like I said, I still believe we might see it in a year or two.

Shadowrun is awesome, I've bought some games on steam that have come through kickstarter. (Shadowrun, Elite Dangerous, Wasteland 2 <3, Divinity Original Sin 2)

I also would love Camelot Unchained and Crowfall to be successful but refuse to give any money to an mmo unless it looks amazing at this point.

With Star Citizen I just went all in because its Eve with cooler space battles.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I've had pretty good experiences on Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Have one item (fist-sized bluetooth mobile printer) that updates about every 4 months with another delay. And one movie that I'm still waiting on the t-shirt. But everything else has been delivered (perhaps not as timely as promised), except the in-progress MST3K.

shorkie88

Jun 11, 2015
Calgary
Hi guys,

For those of you in the San Jose area, my cousin will be starting a 1 year internship in San Jose this summer and is looking for a place to rent. Any websites to get started on? I did a quick google search and it turned up some pretty expensive places.

Also, any areas to avoid or any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I've had pretty good experiences on Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Have one item (fist-sized bluetooth mobile printer) that updates about every 4 months with another delay. And one movie that I'm still waiting on the t-shirt. But everything else has been delivered (perhaps not as timely as promised), except the in-progress MST3K.

I've never supported a kickstarter, but a colleague of mine from high school is making his 6-figure living off of them.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Hi guys,

For those of you in the San Jose area, my cousin will be starting a 1 year internship in San Jose this summer and is looking for a place to rent. Any websites to get started on? I did a quick google search and it turned up some pretty expensive places.

Also, any areas to avoid or any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like everything around here.

In all seriousness what is he looking to spend? He may have to get an apartment outside of the main cities and commute in. That's what most of us do.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Renting a room (in a house) may be cheaper than renting apartment.

$3k is not unheard of for 1BR.

(More if it's furnished)

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Renting a room (in a house) may be cheaper than renting apartment.

$3k is not unheard of for 1BR.

(More if it's furnished)

This really depends on where you're talking about. My 1BR is $1300 in SJ, though that is definitely on the lower end of the scale in terms of rent and not the average. $3k for a 1BR would be like in downtown SF.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
This really depends on where you're talking about. My 1BR is $1300 in SJ, though that is definitely on the lower end of the scale in terms of rent and not the average. $3k for a 1BR would be like in downtown SF.

My mortgage for a 2800sq ft house is only $1800.

Yay for not living in California.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
East San Jose would probably be the cheapest you can get in San Jose but it hasn't been as safe lately, but probably still safer than some other cities.

Maybe check some places like Milpitas, which is notorious for the dumpster smell but otherwise ain't so bad.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
There really aren't any areas in SJ that would be considered truly bad. Not like some places in Oakland or SF can be. (Southeastern SJ is a little run down, so are some of the areas on the other side of 280 south of San Jose State, but none of that holds a candle to places like the Tenderloin, Hunter's Point or parts of east Oakland in terms of being significantly problematic.)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I guess "whose" is.

But spintheblackcircle is who is doing the GDT.

#GrammarPolice

I have an interesting thought nugget in that vein. :nod:

We can assume that Hitler had someone who would check his speeches for proper language, wording, etc. right? Well, wouldn't the person doing that have LITERALLY been a grammar nazi? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad